The Adventures of Barry McKenzie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Barry McKenzie Reviews

May 21, 2014
good one from down under
½ July 15, 2011
Silly, childish, irreverent humour, playing to all the stereotypes. Not without laughs, & pretty much what you'd expect. Still watchable so probably a classic of its time & genre.
June 4, 2010
It gets two stars for Dame Edna's (Barry Humphries in one of many roles) joke about the spaghetti to her stuck up English hosts and having the bloke who sung the original Neighbours theme tune in the lead role. Technically inept on so many levels, this (seminal?) Australian farce leaves a lot to be desired and some the jokes seems very very dated indeed. t
March 23, 2010
I couldn't quite keep up with all of the Aussie slang at play here but it was a fun romp with a couple priceless moments.
February 22, 2010
Barry Humpries has always had a subversive attiude and in this film he gets to go all out for humour of the lowest yet funniest order.

Barry Crocker is great a Barry (based on a Private Eye Cartoon) a true blue Ocker Aussie who loves fosters and hates pommie poofs.

Humpries has multiple roles but of course Dame Edna is here and on good form.
Many complain about the films dirty look but lets face it Britain in the 70s was a pretty grotty place and its to the films credit that you get to see this.

The film does look dated in some parts andthe comedy is not to everyones taste but with some great comedy songs you do get to laugh a lot
½ October 12, 2009
Personally I dislike many Ozzie films whether its the lack of decent dialogue or good character developement or its too heavily influenced by the Americans to be even called a Australian film. However the adventures of Barry Mckenzie is the perfect Australian film because of how it shows our unique Australian identity and no matter where we go we still call Australia home. Not only does it represent our culture in an important way it also takes the piss out of it and other cultures at the same time making this an outrageously funny movie and if your Australian its gurranteed to have you in stiches the whole time. Any true Ozzie will love this film because of its tongue in cheeck in your face Ozzie humour and/or the way its shows how culturally significant we are to the rest of the world making every Australian proud to call this film as one of there own.
½ September 8, 2009
The very first Aussie exploitation film. I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually funny!
August 7, 2009
" My mouths as dry as a dead dingo's donger"
" My mouths as dry as a medieval monks manuscript"

Pommy bastards
July 16, 2009
G'Day! Barry Humphries' boorish, loudmouth creation from Private Eye magazine got his own big screen adventure. Nearly 40 years on, it's dated alot, and the humour was quite near-the-knuckle for it's time, but it's a fun timepiece while it lasts. It begins in Sydney, where Aussie Barry McKenzie (Barry Crocker) receives an inheritance, and is to go to England to further his cultural education, but Barry cannot stand the Pommies. :P He goes with his auntie, Edna Everage (Barry Humphries :P), he ends up living in a sort of ghetto of Aussies in Earl's Court, London. He gets ripped off by officials, he gets drunk frequently, he gets insulted by the higher classes, and exploited by a couple of hippie rockers who want him for his crass Aussie folk songs, then to top it off, he drops his strides on the BBC!! Alot of the humour doesn't work today, but it does have it's moments, the songs are rude and very funny, and it has a good supporting cast including Peter Cook, Dennis Price, Willie Rushton and Spike Milligan!! It's director was one Bruce Beresford, who later did Driving Miss Daisy (1989), who'd have guessed he'd go all the way from that?? :P
July 15, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that julie covington, judith furse, jenny tomasin, christopher malcolm, dennis price, dick bentley, barry humphries, barry crocker, avice landone play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.....i think that the director of this cult/classics/drama/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie as you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie...its a brilliant cult movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie
July 13, 2009
From the days when Dame Edna was a film character above television, this rompy fish out of water comedy doesn't so much rely on any plot, more on continuous stereotype clashes to provide cultural humour. It hasn't stood the test of time well.
June 4, 2009
I suppose this was mildly transgressive and rudely funny at the time of release, but now it seems more of a kitschy novelty. Peter Cook and Spike Milligan are barely in it, and instead the same jokes are repeated throughout by lesser talents. It's a fish out of water, culture clash comedy mocking high Euro culture and hippie counterculture by having Australians take the piss out of themselves. Literally, in the Fosters-fueled ending.
December 20, 2008
This a hilarious film that really identifies the true Australian. This is my favourite Australian movie and it is a must see for any Aussie.
November 30, 2008
I should first warn you that this is full of tasteless, ribald Australian humour, but nevertheless it is clever in it's own way and riotously funny in parts. It's a fruitier forerunner of Crocodile Dundee, about a naive young Australian lad who goes to London, where in true Australia style, he spends it with other beer-swilling Aussie and gets into a whole lot of interesting and improbable scrapes. You will learn more expressions than you thought ever possible to say "going to the toilet" and "sexual intercourse". It's Australians taking the piss out of themselves which is great.
November 18, 2008
A true-blue favourite. The best Barrys in showbiz!
½ November 14, 2008
"Bloody pommy poofter bastards" and repeat ad infitum, that's about it really. The odd funny moment but would have worked better as a 5 minute sketch really, god knows why Peter Cook turned up, must have been pissed
August 24, 2008
Looks and sounds great in Chunderama!
July 2, 2008
Rude, stereotypical - but bloody hilarious. Barry Crocker's Mckenzie is a great comedy character who lampoons the Australian pom-hating Fosters swigging sexist. The film intoroduced many great sayings into the English lexicon 'one-eyed trouser snake' etc. Hilarious stuff - look out also for Spike Milligan and Peter Cook.
½ May 26, 2008
You've gotta love this, how can you not!
½ January 20, 2008
Very 70's!! Can't you tell? Politically incorrect humour but I laughed all the way through.