The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland Reviews

August 14, 2016
Good for Kids Who are fans of the show and Adults who enjoyed the show when they were kids
½ July 22, 2016
A Sesame Street Movie based around Elmo, never my favorite Muppet from the show. Elmo rose to the forefront of the show just about the time I was growing out of watching it, and this movie cane out not longer I really had. I have only seen it now because I have a 2 year old who loves Elmo. It is alright I guess...but unlike the 80s "Follow that Bird" it feels like it is playing down to kids a little more. And since I would prefer to follow a movie starring Big Bird than Elmo...this just didn't entertain me in the same way. That said, I am an adult...so I am not in any way the target audience. My daughter seemed to enjoy it...so there ya go. It was kind of fun and weird to see Mandy Patinkin as the villain though!
May 15, 2016
This is a Really Good Movie and I Enjoyed It A Lot as a Kid
January 10, 2016
As long as your still a fan of Sesame Street, you will definitely love this sweet and charming family film!
½ October 4, 2015
I haven't seen this movie in forever and honestly watched the trailer to get my memory jogging, so I'm rating this on the charm and all age entertainment that Elmo brings. Obviously this is made for young children but even if you watch it as a grown up you can admit that it's cute and brings up memories of all your favorite friends from Sesame Street. Obviously families with young kids, must. People in general, charming movie with terrific puppetry.
½ April 21, 2015
This movie is so stupid. I really hate Elmo. Why? Cause he's annoying, useless, pathetic, and tries to steal the spotlight from Big Bird, who had his own film Follow That Bird and that film was Great!

Elmo In Grouchland isn't a great movie, and neither is it a so bad it's good movie. No. This film is pure annoyance. I may not be the only one that hates the film and Elmo and trust me, there's a lot.

The songs are stupid, The Interactivity from Elmo is stupid, and the main fact that it focuses on Elmo the whole time is so worse that I'd rather watch Thomas And The Magic Railroad than listen to Elmo annoy you with his God awful voice to the audience.

There are only 2 good parts: Bert And Ernie and the Chicken that sounds like Gonzo. The rest of the film however is Beyond "Son Of The Mask" Bad levels. It's a very stupid movie with a very stupid premise and it deserves to be thrown away. Not even Mandy Patinkin and Vanessa Williams can save this movie.
April 19, 2015
Richard Roeper's favorite movie
February 5, 2015
THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME
October 7, 2014
Phh. Oikyyyyyyjhhhhhhhhh yugy. . idbdsp. p
July 16, 2014
One of my little brother's absolute favorites.
June 28, 2014
I love this movie and I always will because I grew up with sesame street and Elmo's world
June 19, 2014
The other reviews that say this movie is not for anyone above 9 is a bit incorrect, as the movie has several jokes that only "older" people would get. An example of this is when Huxley says "I didn't even get a 36 month lease on this blanket!" What kid is going to get that? On the contrary, the film is appropriate for even the youngest kids. Ernie and Bert interrupt certain scenes that could be considered too or scary or sad for young kids and reassure them that everything is okay. Overall, Elmo in Grouchland is a classic for Sesame Street fans both young and old.
February 25, 2014
The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland sounded terrific since Sesame Street was always a great show for me as a kid and Elmo was my favourite character, so a feature length film adaptation of the series featuring the participation of Frank Oz was not something I would miss.

I haven't seen Sesame Street in many years so many of the story elements in The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland were new to me or were something I hadn't seen in a long while, and in that sense a few of them felt a little distant from me since I wasn't as able to adapt to them as I would have if I was a child. Some parts are even a little bit creepy for kids movie, but when it's one full of monsters I pretty much predicted that. And also, even though it only runs for 71 minutes a lot of The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland is rather repetitive in its story antics and jokes. But nevertheless, I still enjoyed it.
The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland succeeds because it manages to capture the true spirit of the original Sesame Street TV series. It has all the colourful characters set in the childish universe that the show is famous for which proves convincing thanks to an incredibly dedicated team working behind the production design of the film, as well as the strong visual effects. Really, the production team of The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland really went all out on the film by convincing financiers to put $26 million into developing it into a colourful feature. It's a true shame that it lost over $14 million at Box Office.
And with the visual elements come some amazing puppetry work which brings the characters to life so incredibly well that it's easy to forget that the characters are puppets. I mean their movements seem so organic and their mouths are perfectly in tune with the dedicated voice actors, and so the Sesame Street Characters are at some of their most vibrantly energetic in The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland.
And the performance of Mandy Patinkin as the antagonist Huxley is perfectly villainous in the appropriate cartoony way without being too much as if he were like a bad guy version of Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy. Coincidentally enough he actually had a prominent role in that film.
Vanessa L. Williams was great as the singing Queen of trash as well as hypnotically attractive and paired with a great costume too, so she proves a good addition to the cast as well.
Plus, The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland benefitted from a lot of catchy energetic musical numbers which enhance the energy of the film.
And really, the directional work from Gary Halvorson gave The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland the path it needed to succeed as a clever children's comedy with a meaningful message to it about obsession with possession. Thanks to him and the direction he gives to the film and team behind the visual elements, The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland proves mostly successful entertainment.

So fans of Sesame Street can rejoice at The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland, and others can enjoy its technical elements even if it's rather I consistent in entertainment value and pacing at parts.
½ February 22, 2014
The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland was the second Sesame Street film, and is again very cute and fun for the whole family. This one is more likely to win kids over as it stars Elmo and features Zoe and the others. (The only major favorite of kids who haven't been introduced yet are Murrary and Abby). However your favorite characters will still have a decent amount of screentime. The best thing in this movie is Grouchland itself. It's such a fun world that you might wish would appear more often in the Sesame Street universe. It leads to great humor such as Elmo being sent Grouch Greeting Cards Air Mail ("Get Sick Soon", "Happy Sour 16th"). The songs are cute and catch particularly I See A Kingdom sung by the Queen of Trash(Vanessa Williams). Mandy Patinkin is memorable and fun as the evil Huxley. It's clear he's having plenty of fun. Good humor comes from Ernie and Bert's repeated interrupting the movie. It loses only half a star as most of the characters spend a good portion of the movie in jail for "asking for help", and it doesnt' space out the screentime quite as well as Follow That Bird. However this movie will delight preschoolers, and should even attend reluctant adults who have to see it.
February 9, 2014
One of THE best family films!
½ January 17, 2014
It's not the best childhood movie, but it's still a clever homage.
½ January 12, 2014
one of my favorite movies
November 16, 2013
The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland ='Pure Nostalgia, and even without nostalgia, this is still a funny adventure for the whole family.
½ October 27, 2013
It's a movie about the most wholesome Sesame Street character, just sit back and enjoy the wholesome fun and you'll have a good time.
½ October 23, 2013
It was a pretty enjoyable, very fun and very entertaining live action family comedy adventure. It had very amazing puppetry, great cast, adventure, comedy, great songs, really great cinematography, very fun characters and a very fun plot. I first rented the DVD version of this movie at Blockbuster. It's just as good as "The Muppets." I strongly recommend this movie to kids and adults alike.