Adventures of Power - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adventures of Power Reviews

July 6, 2011
Wow. This is just odd.
July 3, 2011
A movie about air drumming to RUSH? It's like my life in movie form!
½ June 8, 2011
"They're makin' fun of you, Power. Look at yourself. Gay shoes, gay jeans, gay... well, I actually like the headband."

Its got this Napoleon Dynamite/Hot Rod vibe to it, so it was funny enough but didn't quite match those two comedic gems. It was an interesting enough concept and decently executed. It's got a rockin' soundtrack and I was lovin' Adrian Grenier's character too. This is a good one to throw on when you don't want anything heavy.
½ May 24, 2011
A clich√ (C) plot, bad acting and not so intelligent soundtrack, but speaks from the heart and utterly funny. I enjoyed it a lot.
May 17, 2011
had a napoleon dynamite feel to it, not good but not bad either.
½ April 10, 2011
Reminded me of Hot Rod at first, but it's not even close to being as funny as Hot Rod. I wanted to watch it because: 1. Huge fan of Air Drumming (and I can do it standing) 2. Seemed like a great idea, the trailer was pretty good, 3. I love Rush.
So, the movie is very ridiculous, it is a mess really. It could've been a very good movie, if they had more on the characters, more comedy in it and (guess what?) more air drumming!
It was fun, but I felt like I'm losing IQ points here. Adrian amused me a lot though.
½ April 6, 2011
Funny...for drummers
February 26, 2011
Great cast BUT you can only play the joke of air drumming so long. The overall story is good but to be funny I think that the movie played on the Dynamite card a bit too much. I wanted to really pretend it was serious thru comedy which in both parts I thought failed. With this cast I just expected more in terms of comedy. Parts of the movie were super slow and at times just seemed attempts for a pathetic laugh. Where Dynamite had some kind of character to that movie this movie relied a bit to much on the people remember the songs of youth and air drumming might only be funny for 5 minutes and this movie tried to turn that into 90 mintues. D grade
February 19, 2011
This might be the stupidest movie I'll ever admit to liking
February 16, 2011
Well, this sure was silly...but I did find it kind of funny at times. Think of Spinal Tap meets Napolean Dynomite. Adrian Grenier is in this, too, which probably kept me from reaching for that eject button. eh. It had its moments. My teenage daughter sure got a kick out of it, though. Guess that tells ya sumpin..
February 14, 2011
It could of been way way funnier. It wasn't bad but could of been really funny.
February 3, 2011
Your enjoyment of Adventures of Power will be proportional to your tolerance for the one-joke phenomenon of air drumming.
½ January 30, 2011
You have the golden locks of David Lee Roth

I can see how this movie is compared to Napoleon Dynamite because it's weird/different, but it's not as stellar as that movie. The cheezy rock music throughout the movie was great. Can't believe Adrian Grenier is in this. Nothing like his role in Entourage. The way he treats women in this flick is hilarious.
½ January 29, 2011
Dumbest movie ever to exist.
January 25, 2011
I don't get a lot of the reviews on this. Though it immediately reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite from the preview, so what? Upon watching the movie, it goes a lot further and is more than a "rip-off" or a "90-minute joke." What is wrong with these people?

I love drums and air drum all the time myself. So naturally I wanted to see this. First, I'll mention the soundtrack. It starts with Kyrie and is a great intro song. There is some Rush, Loverboy, and the use of Phil Collins is fucking phenomenal. I don't understand how any of this gets lumped into Napoleon Dynamite or other recent comedies. There mere fact that someone recognized the comic potential in these songs is brilliant.

There are also great lines: I'm not pussy-footing. I'm double bass drumming. And Neil Peart! It's too dangerous!! And the deaf girl saying, "I feel you" with some depth play on the camera shot. Good stuff. Again, why it all has to come back to something else is beyond me. I've seen the other movies and they are all distinct in their own ways. Jesus, compare every drama and you can find 80 things in common.

The cast is pretty good. Ari Gold writes, directs, and stars as Power, the main air-drummer. Shoshannah Stern is great as the deaf love interest. The best, by far really, is Adrian Grenier. I already liked him because of his paparrazi documentary, but he gets even more points from this. I must say, a good looking dude who is not afraid to do something stupid. He's great as a cowboy who can actually play the drums but prefers to air drum.

The final 20 minutes or whenever the contest begins is epic. If you can't enjoy those routines, I guess I just feel sorry for you. I would definitely pay to see a high quality show along those lines.

I was pretty giddy after watching the movie, but I must say, the negative reviews really piss me off. Not because I disagree with them, but because they are indicative of a very stupid public and, as per usual, a very loud group of stupid people. Calling this movie a ripoff is calling every movie a ripoff. Balls Out: Gary the tennis coach is another favorite of mine with a weird premise, weird characters, and low budget feel. I suppose that is a ripoff of Napoleon Dynamite, too. Hey, look at me. I just superficially compared one movie to another movie I've seen. Goddamn I'm a genius.
½ January 23, 2011
Screw the haters! This movie is hilarious. I simply loved it, and its one of those movies I could watch over and over and over again. Yes, its very subjective, but lighten up and have some fun. This is certainly not a movie to be taken seriously.

Like other underrated irreverent comedies such as Fanboys and The Rocker, The Adventures of power breathes funny into nerddom. This movie fuses Napolean Dynamite and Air Guitar Nation into a movie where Ari Gold plays Air Drums as a character that doesn't break his clueless intensity and necessity to rock. No, this won't win everyone's heart, but watch it late at night after a hard day's work, and it will put everything in perspective with its silly ridiculous nature.
January 18, 2011
Air druming at it's finest!! :) Now, that being said, it was pretty funny, and Ari Gold does a good job as Power. Makes me want to play Rockband a lot.
½ December 11, 2010
A ridiculous movie that was fun and funny. It started a little slow for me but really picked up in the second half where it was hilarious.
October 26, 2010
I would sooner have drumsticks shoved into my peehole until I look like the breadstick centerpiece at a fancy Italian restaurant than sit through anything as godfuckingawful as this waste of celluloid and talent. When a ?Mad TV? sketch fails, it runs for five or six minutes before finally going to commercial. This film is one bad extended tragic sketch stretched out over 90 interminable minutes with not a single redeemable moment in the entirety. The comparisons to Napoleon Dynamite are impossible to avoid: a quirky Southwestern weirdo unaccepted by his community tries to elicit change through bizarre performance art. But triple threat Ari Gold takes his film to ungodly nadirs ? forsaking any sort of innocence or naivete for thundercraps of lameness. It?s Guitar Hero layered over a plot that even Adam Sandler?s cronies wouldn?t poop on. Ari Gold?s crapsterpiece has all the levity of Balloon Boy falling to his death on the Grand Marshall of a Breast Cancer Awareness march. Only you might accidentally laugh at that before feeling horrible. You can?t possibly make that mistake here.

Power (Ari Gold) works at the copper mine with a father who barely acknowledges his existence (Michael McKean) and lives in a boarding house basement with his hippie aunt (Jane Lynch). Except when she rents the room and he?s forced to sleep in the yard. I haven?t seen talent wasted like this since Rip Torn played Freddy?s alleged fingerer. Fortunately, they aren?t given real characters. Rather, their performances look like Gold told them they were rehearsing and then used that as the actual shot.

Power is an air drummer. Well, I guess that?s the explanation for why he goes into rhythmless seizures over butt-rock soundtracks. With thick glasses and a penchant for sweatbands, Ari Gold looks like Bob Odenkirk hatefucked a butt-baby into the prolapsed sphincter of Spike Jonze, so agewise I suppose he?s supposed to be thirtydoesitmatter? After getting fired from the copper mining facility, Power finds a brochure for an underground air drumming battle in Mexico. After impressing a hook-handed stranger with his insane attempt to air drum Rush while not using a stool, Power decides to find the stranger?s air-drum training gym in Newark, NJ. If this seems abrupt and confusing, it?s because it is. The plot is hammered together like craft birdhouses at a summer camp for the blind. It would make sense if they were foregoing plot to accentuate the airdrumming (if the airdrumming was amusing or funny in any way whatsoever). Instead, Gold seems weirdly intent on making airdrumming as intense and import as the dodgeball in Dodgeball with the same fervor as those stupid twats who claim cheerleading is a sport.

Adrian Grenier offers up a five-second bright spot like a toddler cupping a firefly before squishing it into fading glowy paste. He plays Dallas Houston ? a billionaire country rapper who also drums. Grenier plays ?Dallas H? with all the Timberlakish B-boy strut he can muster, and it works for six minutes. Then like everything else, the joke gets stale, old, and dead, like a taxidermied family dog stuffed with Saltines instead of sawdust. Dallas H, against his rich daddy?s wishes, decides to enter the grand air drumming showdown in New York ? but only to show everyone how lame air drumming is. The fuck?

Anyway, Power arrives in Newark and immediately takes up residence in a Chinese food restaurant, after the owner chases away thugs who beat on him. The Chinese food joint is conveniently located beneath the love interest of the movie: Annie (Shoshannah Stern, ?Weeds?) ? the deaf daughter of a Christian missionary who hates rock music. Annie?s perfect for Power because she doesn?t hear music ? SHE FEELS IT. Annie?s deaf and Power lives in a Chinese food restaurant, so naturally when Annie speaks in that sort of nasally deaf patois, Power asks her if she?s Chinese. Not only is it racist, it?s also biased against the handicapped! When that joke falls flat, Gold?s stuck with the setting and characters. So it fits with the rest of the film like the rubber glove on a TSA checkpoint guard?s stubby hand.

Power joins a Rainbow Coalition of racial stereotypes on the Jersey Krew, an air drumming team. See, the air drumming competition isn?t just like some sort of karaoke showdown. You have to be part of a complicated convoluted stupid bullshit three-part production. It?s not just making funny faces and faking drum gestures to the Monsters of Rock CD. Lord, no. It?s about being part of a massive air drum set of drummers. That way they can make everything overdramatic and stupid before having a showdown between Dallas H, Power, and a third female drummer who looks like Fairuza Balk buffalo-billed Pink and wore her skin. It felt like the outtakes to a High School Musical warmup, performed by the Torrance Community Dance Group.

The film defies logic and humor in equal strides, like Paul Bunyan making lakes by stumbling around drunk and trying to piss on Babe the Blue Ox as a joke. Only, again, that might actually be funny. The most incredibly shameful part of the entire film is that in some sort of bastardized logic that probably makes perfect sense to the test-tube baby of Dodgeball Dynamite, the air drumming competition is inexplicably televised nationwide which allows Power?s performance to inspire the striking workers at the copper plant. There was a scene where strikers were beaten by riot geared storm troopers and made their stand by air drumming to Phil Collins? ?In The Air Tonight.? Oh, and Dallas H?s father owns the copper mine. None of that matters. It?s not a showdown to save the plant. But honestly, I don?t want to actually waste more time deconstructing the wet toilet paper-wrapped plot than I have to. Other than to warn you away from this. I wish I could have gotten to Neil Peart before he signed up for a cameo. Seriously, brother, you should have stayed animated and in the Aqua Teen movie. And if you don?t believe Ain?t It Cool News has sold out, they have a positive quote on the poster for this wretched abomination, calling it a hell of a good time. I hope that money bought you a comfy asspillow for your wheelchair.