The Affair of the Necklace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Affair of the Necklace Reviews

½ January 16, 2017
Interesting story. Beautiful cinematography. Yet another sociological take on the excess that led to the French Revolution. And yet, the movie is somehow flat. It is okay watching. But it really could have been done better
February 6, 2016
I only gave this two stars because the costumes and scenery was well done. As someone who respects and appreciates history, I was appalled at the absurd depiction of a known thief, liar, and prostitute (Hilary Swanks character) twisted to be a victim. Jeanne De La Motte was manipulative, conniving, and low class. In real life, her father was a drunkard, her mother a maid, and her only claim to royalty was speculative. I could not feel sorry for her character and the vilification of Marie Antoinette was also false. Hilary Swank was awkward a and to claim this story as true is about as successful as this movie did in the theater
October 18, 2014
I'm not sure why I never saw this movie. I enjoyed it. The intrigue kept me engaged throughout.
½ February 12, 2013
Rather dull and undramatic historical piece that plays loose with the facts and seems uncertain about its tone.
November 11, 2012
Hillary Swank's best movie to date. The story takes place just before the French revolution, and it chronicals the events involving Marie-Antoinette and her necklace which ultimately led to the revolution.
October 29, 2012
saw half an hour of it a few days ago on tv and it looked good for some weird reason so have to watch it some time.
½ August 5, 2012
This movie was beautiful...and tells of one of the lesser known Heroes/villains of French Revolution Era
July 21, 2012
" [upon hearing her verdict] What ever fate awaits me, it cannot comp... compare to the pain I have... when all you hold dear is taken and you have nothing left, risk is of little consequence. And when a ray of hope came into view, I reached for it with all my might. I realise... I realise now that it is too late, that honor does not live in the name. It comes from what you carry in your heart. I realize, now that it is too late, that honor does not live in the name. It comes from what you carry in your heart."
--- Jeanne St. Remy de Valois (Hilary Swank).

It was just a big bowl of okay and for all its grandeur, the scenery and the costumes were wildly splendid, but unfortunately the film itself remained unimpressive and rather boring, which was really disappointing since it had a stellar cast of actors namely Jonathan Pryce (Cardinal Louis de Rohan) and the underutilized, ubber delicious, not to mention undeniably talented Adrian Brody (Count Nicolas De La Motte ). But the acting from the principal cast ,Swank (Jeanne Valois
) and Baker (Retaux de Vilette), was mediocre at best. Although the conspiracies and plotting behind the necklace was indeed intriguing, the conclusion and the ending was a bit lackluster.
June 13, 2012
The direction and script on this were so bad I went in search of who was responsible, now I know. No rhythm or cadence in dialogue delivery,(you cant try to make historical drama using contemporary speech delivery, it just doesn't gel) Shyer got very lazy...rubbish sound for a bs script and poor camera work, Hil shouldn't have done this one...what a waste of some good players and great locations. Coulda been so good...
May 19, 2012
It was ok. These types of movies are just not for me. The acting was great, costuming, that necklace was amazing. Not bad Not bad
April 15, 2012
A bloated, really rather dull historical epic which seems miscast throughout. A really shame, as the story had the potential to be very good indeed.
March 19, 2012
One star for trying. The rest of it sucks.
February 24, 2012
Very immerse into Jeanne de la Motte Valois story. But... what about Marie Antoinette??? What about the extravagances which drove her finally into death? This movie lacks of important details. The affair of the necklace woke the French Revolution.
December 5, 2011
Decent movie. Good cast. Apparently based on true-ish events, but much was added for theatrical purposes, I would think. Hilary Swank is good in everything she does, and this movie is no exception. I knew nothing about this time period, but after watching this film I found myself looking for information. Interesting story, indeed.
November 12, 2011
Beautiful movie, except didn't like the very negative view of Marie Antoinette. She was naive, not mean.
September 28, 2011
Hmph. Expected a lot more with the cast in tow but.... hmph.
July 25, 2011
""who's on third" kind of a movie - predictable but yet interesting"
½ July 22, 2011
Woefully miscast and horribly staged, The Affair of the Necklace is the RARE historical, costume drama that I found myself greatly disliking. Necklace is based upon the true-ish story (some liberties were naturally taken with this) of Jeanne de la Motte Valois (Hilary Swank - Boys Don't Cry, Million Dollar Baby, Amelia) -- a French countess who's title had been stripped from her family by the crown in the late 18th Century (just PRE-Revolution). As a way of regaining her royal titles, Jeanne and a trio of men -- Simon Baker (The Devil Wears Prada, LA Confidential), Adrien Brody (The Pianist, King Kong) and Christopher Walken (Catch Me If You Can, The Deer Hunter) -- conspire to obtain a priceless, jewel necklace that also "catches the eye" of royal Marie-Antoinette (Joely Richardson - 101 Dalmatians, The Patriot, the "Americanized" Girl with a Dragon Tattoo) which ultimately leads to her (M-A's) downfall (I said there were some liberties/stretches here). As Jeanne isn't a sympathetic character (we can blame some of this on bad writing), The Affair of the Necklace isn't engrossing or engaging. It became a movie I didn't care about although I LOVED Joely Richardson's powdered bouffant hair-do's here. Even with three Oscar-winning actors in the cast (Brody, Swank and Walken), I cannot recommend this. If I HAD to watch it again, I might begin wishing for the same fate that befell that French queen.
½ July 20, 2011
Based on a true story. A tale of intrigue set in late 1700's France, involving a countess, a cardinal, a queen, and a necklace. Hilary Swank stars.