Affinity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Affinity Reviews

½ September 6, 2016
Affinity [Fywell, 2008] I'm very angry, very affected. If that is the goal, then it did a great job. 7/10
July 28, 2014
enthralled more than "tipping the velvet" did.
June 19, 2013
Being " Affinity " one of my favourite books, I wanted to see the movie adaptation. I must say I am very pleased with it. Haunting ending....
June 19, 2013
I didn't know what to expect from this film, the cover said it was a uncoventinal love story with a twist that's all I had to go on. I was really impressed with it, the acting was good and I found the story interesting. I think this film shows what great film makers the english and BBC truly are. It was set in the late 1800's to the early 1900's I think there really captured the period. The film is part love story part thriller and does both very well I might add.

Some of it had a Illusionist/Prestige feel to it that work very well. a simple story with a great twist. I enjoyed the fact that is was different to most things I've seen. Hollywood watch out english films and film makers are to stay.
June 19, 2013
Saw it and loved it. the twist at the end left me hanging! If you loved Tipping the Velvet, which i did, you will love this! It's not as long, but it is beautifully acted, shot and presented! highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good love story!
½ June 19, 2013
Sarah, you did it again! Although this was the least of my favorite adaptations, Sarah Waters' brilliant twists and revelations never cease to leave us in awe!
June 19, 2013
I love this film! It's so amazing!
½ June 19, 2013
i can't believe that margaret will fall for selena, the one who w/c is in the prison. a melo-dramatic movie. i felt sorry for margaret cause she was used by selena and her maid.
It was a heart-breaking movie...
June 19, 2013
Affinity toward same gender (lesbian).
June 19, 2013
bella solo la scena finale.
½ June 19, 2013
British filmakers are so special to show Victorian times. Delicacy, great dark colors, great! Love this movie.
½ June 19, 2013
Sarah Waters combines two of my favorite things -- lesbians and the Victorian period -- so I wanted to like this movie, but there were several problems with it. The story was interesting, but there were holes in the plot. It made the movie feel disjointed in a way that didn't seem intentional. That was my biggest complaint. Oh, and the sucky musical score.
½ June 19, 2013
Enjoyable but I was a little confused about the ending.
June 19, 2013
U never get the end before u finish watching it. Great movie
June 19, 2013
different kind of movie, has a paranormal / love storyline. It's ok.
June 19, 2013
This is a good adaptation. Having read the book, I was curious to see how "Affinity" would work on the small screen. Overall, not too bad. Anna Madeley was the perfect casting for Margaret Prior. This is a bit more fast paced than other Sarah Waters/Andrew Davis' adaptations. This fast paced style of adaptation suited the book well, don't think it would have worked well as a serial adaptation. Some changes were made for poetic license, but still a very good adaptation
½ June 19, 2013
Rather mediocre, slow and un-exciting movie adaptation of a great novel (1 of my favourites ever). Good acting by the 2 protagonists, not sure (yet) how I feel about the changed ending.
June 19, 2013
Sarah Waters writes great books! They make awesome films too!
June 19, 2013
I was not too sure I Wanted to see this film. On the one hand, I expected it to be another blatantly pro-homosexual British film, based as it is on a novel by Sarah Waters, one of the most active homosexual public figures in Britain, and the author of "Tipping the Velvet", a raunchy lesbian novel that was also adapted to the screen by Andrew Davies. But on the other hand, I thought that nothing much could happen between two women in a Victorian prison, and that the film would turn out to be just a story of a strong, ambiguous friendship with nothing really wrong about it. Anyway, I love late XIXth century atmospheres, and I am rather fond of both Zoe Tapper (who was also a lesbian in the 2008 TV series "Survivors") and Anna Madeley, who was brilliant in "The Secret Life of Mrs. Beeton" and had a rather funny role in the 2008 version of "Sense and Sensibility". And finally, I love the voice of Anna Massey, who did the narration on the BBC's audio history of Great Britain, "This Sceptred Isle".

Well, I was wrong about the homosexuality. The film portrays no less than four lesbian pairs, and some passionate kissing or foreplay between most of them, with a little B&D roleplay to spice things up. Moreover, males are presented in the usual lesbian way, as either rapists or pompous bores, except for a rather sympathetic librarian, who may well have been a homosexual in the novel, and worked for some occult society anyway, which made him alright according to modern inverted values.

But despite this, I found the movie rather engrossing. I had guessed most of the "clever ending", but I was surprised by the depth that was added by the last couple of minutes of the film, which turned it into something more than a "gotcha" type of movie, a la "The Illusionist" or "The Prestige". What makes it a little difficult to outguess is that it does not let you know whether the supernatural is supposed to be real or not within its universe (and I won't tell you either.)

Morally speaking, I can't really recommend "Affinity", but I'm glad I've seen it, and it has made me want to see more of both Tapper and Madeley, which apparently, I will soon do.
June 19, 2013
Whoa, this was pretty bad, stay far away.