Afro Samurai: Resurrection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Afro Samurai: Resurrection Reviews

April 23, 2011
Is this serious? No, not at all. Anyone who takes this seriously at all is completely missing the point. Afro Samurai is a hilarious spoof of 2 popular genres from the 70s, Kung-Fu action flicks and blaxploitation, and Afro spoofs them beautifully (the "beautifully" part is meant to be taken literally, the animation is awesome). The storyline is thin, but since it revolves around a classic staple of the 2 aforementioned genres, avenge father's death storyline, you can forgive it rather easily. The action sequences will make your head spin and the humor is as dark as it is hilarious. Highly recommended and absolutely worth at least one viewing.
March 30, 2010
A nice continuation to the awesome Afro Samurai series. It sticks a little too close to the original episodes in a lot of ways, but Lucy Liu's character makes Resurrection a worthy watch for the Afto fan.
½ December 4, 2009
Afro Samurai / Afro Samurai Resurrection

This is definitely one of the best manga flicks I've seen in awhile, the animation is so fluid and beautiful in places its truly a work of art. The plot is unoriginal and pretty predictable hehe think a Clint Eastwood 'man with no name' type black Samurai and lots of disposable enemies along the way ;)
Sure you know how its gonna end and whats gonna happen in every scene but it looks lovely and has some brilliant voice casting through both offerings (English versions).
Of course you have Sam Jackson perfectly cast for Afro, but throughout both films there is Mark Hamill (animation stalwart), Lucy Liu, John Di Maggio (Bender fame), Dwight Schultz (A-Team) and the always great Ron Pearlman.

I prefer Resurrection over the first I think, the inclusion of Lucy Liu as a sexy bitch hell bent on revenge tickles my fancy :) both films are kinda the same to be honest but Res is alittle more action packed with less flashbacks making the plot easier to follow. The first does jump around alot and only has action at the start and end really, some great sword fighting moments but limited compared to Res. The other thing I don't really like about Afro is the amount of robots or 'Terminator' like opponents Afro comes up against, it just seems to cheapen the whole idea for me, its a concept that's been done too much.

Plenty of blood spurting about in both accompanied by some nice sound effects and a decent soundtrack but I tend to lean towards Res as it is alittle more 'Blade' like if you get me haha both are brilliant though.
December 4, 2008
Afro Samurai: It begins again.
Ninja Ninja: Alright, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. We road dogs again.

A follow up feature to the first season/miniseries Afro Samurai. Samuel L. Jackson and the original creators return to explore further adventures of the one samurai who has both sword and hair style that you don't want to mess with.

Sio: I know who you are murderer.

After achieving the vengeance he wanted, Afro has lost much of his fighting spirit, choosing to hold his own sense of peace instead of defending his title.

Problems arise however, as a figure from Afro's past comes out to show that he has to deal with those he has hurt in his past.

Ninja Ninja: All this just to get yo father's nasty ass skull.

A number of obstacles stand is Afro's way as he must once again kill many to reach a new goal involving resurrection and redemption.

This feature takes full advantage of knowing now what worked best in the first season. The fights are epic, the music, provided by the RZA, is amazing, perfectly blending hip-hop and score into this anime world that combines technology into a feudal Japan setting, and the story has been streamlined enough to feature less flashbacks and focus on the main goal at hand.

Afro Samurai: Watch your damn mouth, because I'm coming for my dad.
Ninja Ninja: Then we gonna get you bitch.

The voice acting is also top notch. Sam Jackson is of course all kinds of cool, providing the voice of both Afro, a man of few words, and his sidekick/inner voice Ninja Ninja. This time, he is also joined by Lucy Lui and Mark Hamil, in a small but important role.

This feature works wonderfully at providing lots of great action, gorgeous animation, and a sweet soundtrack. Some story faults aside, fans of the series will be satisfied, and new ones may emerge.

Sword Master: Only the blade is clean, the rest is up to you.
lesleyanorton
August 29, 2009
The story ine follows pretty much the same bare bones as the original mini-series; Afro Samurai seeks number 1 headband, getting attacked by multitude of number 2 headband wannerbees along the way, With flashbacks to explain the current enemy lineup, a few mechanised half-humans to add extra challenges, and a set-up for the next film to come at the end. But who cares about the plot, when its as beautifully animated and as cool as this.
February 3, 2009
Afro Samurai: Resurrection continues where the fantastic mini-series left off. Again the animation is superb, with beautiful landscapes and awesome, bloody, sword play. Although, the story didn't have much depth, and it got tiresome after a while, the action scenes provide enough entertainment to warrant a second viewing.
January 29, 2009
It was alright. I think I liked the original Afro Samurai better though
October 28, 2012
My first adventure in Manga and I came away unimpressed. The foreground and background animation is beautiful but the character animation isn't all that good. Samuel L. Jackson who voices Afro Samurai barely mutters a few words the entire movie. The premises is confusing to say the least Afro Samurai ventures the world killing anyone he can to find the #1 Headband which will make him the best samurai around. Along the way the sister of his best friend (who he tried to kill years ago...or at least it appears that way the script never really says) tries to avenge the damage Afro Samurai caused her and her brother. The story isn't all that interesting and other than SOME great animation Afro Samurai just isn't much good.
September 27, 2011
Yawn. I would've never imagined how middle of the road to boring I found this and the original series.

How do you make Samuel L. Jackson and martial arts this blase?

Seriously. Pass unless your curiosity gets the better of you.
½ November 30, 2009
Very close to how good the first one was, however, I didn't exactly like it as much. It had its moments, and its moral lessons were much more vivid in description and obvious in their production. I can't say I loved it, though, I was hoping it wouldn't revamp a whole lot from the first one, but it did, and changed Jinno's character a whole lot. Still, it was a decent watch, and it kept me entertained. I'm really glad that they brought back Ninja Ninja.
January 25, 2009
Fast, stylish, damn near perfection. If you liked the series, you'll like this. If you liked Ninja Scroll, you'll love this. If you like anime at all, you owe it to yourself to see this.

The animation is heads above. The Rza's music works perfectly. The voice work is superb. And a story that feels very fresh, blending traditional samurai sword play with death dealing robots amalgamating in a unique way that never makes you ask why.

And all this comes together in a style and fashion that blends old with new, urban western with traditional eastern, and slick with sick.
March 4, 2015
For those of you that have seen Afro Samurai (The Series not this movie) and loved it save yourself some disappointment and just watch the series again. This is one of the most disappointing things I have ever watched. I watched this with the expectation that they were going to keep to Afro's character in this movie like they did in the series. And Afro is not that hard to understand. He's a guy who is out for revenge for his fathers murder, he likes lemonade, he smokes and he says really cool one liners and other than that doesn't say much. In this movie however they completely destroyed that last part of the character, which by the way, is the most important part of his character. And all throughout the movie I was wondering how all the stuff that was happening on screen relate to everything? Ninja Ninja contradicted himself by encouraging Afro to go after Jino and Jino's sister and then right after that he went back to complaining at Afro that " YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS MAN!" And everything else made no coherent sense. And I was trying to come up with something that would save this movie. I even watched it a second time to see if I missed anything. Which I didn't. It was only after I read the comic that I finally understood why they made this movie. Most of what is in this movie is just stuff that didn't make it from the comic into the series and most of that didn't make it into the movie either. They just took bits and pieces of what they could to make this into a movie and at least tried to have it make sense. And that is just infuriating because if that was the only reason they made this then it follows that the makers of this weren't even trying to do any such justice to the super bad-ass character Afro. This anime movie is the equivalent of The Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of The Crystal Skull train-wreck. It's stupid, it's got nothing interesting for our hero (or in this case anti-hero) to work with and it's tarnishing to his reputation. The only redeeming quality about this movie is the beautiful animation, but the best animation in the world doesn't do much for you if your movie makes no sense.
March 2, 2015
Garbage. Absolute Garbage.
June 25, 2014
A brilliant mix of Japanese anime tropes and western gangsta rap culture.
November 6, 2013
Although the plot pretty much repeats the similar story of the Afro Samurai series, it was a great way to continue the series. The animation is gorgeous and fun to watch and the fight scenes are as intense as ever.
½ February 22, 2013
if u r into a new concept of anime you have to watch this!!!!!!! :) i like it!
February 21, 2009
I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of amine by any means, but this is amazing. The art style is slick and creative. The humor always stays on top, and the gore is ridiculously entertaining. Anyone fans of the show better check this out. I need to start watching the series myself as I'm just getting into this phenomenon now.
October 16, 2012
With style to spare, it continues the over the top, beautifully animated series perfectly. The story is simple, the movie runs a little long, but it's all melded so seamlessly and is such a pleasure to watch this is hardly an painful criticism.
½ June 29, 2012
Not as potent as the first, but very entertaining.
½ May 4, 2012
Afro Samurai: Resurrection is not as good as the first but it offers bad ass cartoon violence,nudity and language.