Afro Samurai: Resurrection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Afro Samurai: Resurrection Reviews

August 5, 2016
When it comes to modern day anime it can sometimes get too over saturated with computer animation and you miss that classic vibe. With Afro Samurai it has a solid story with beautiful animation to give it that perfect slice of story telling. It isn't as good as the original series but it still holds up on its own.
½ April 25, 2015
Blood, guts, boobs, light comedic undertones, and Samuel L Jackson. That's Afro Samurai for you. The original Afro Samurai mini-series was a big surprise. Not only was the show extremely bloody and fun, but Afro was a surprising complex character, and the show explored the theme accepting what you have beautifully. It has a amazing Bloxpoitation style that displays a great mix of western and Japanese culture. For those who don't know what Bloxploitation is, let me explain. It was a sub-genre of exploitation films in the 70s. These films typically had a very Spaghetti Western/Noir style and explored themes such as revenge, loss, and standing up for yourself and what you believe in. Though these movies were mostly terrible, they inspired a whole generation. They were simple and yet effective. The beauty of Afro samurai is how simple, yet complex it is. If I were to compare Afro Samurai to something, it would be Django Unchained due to its mix of Spaghetti Western/Noir, Hip-Hop, and gleeful violence. Fans of Tarantino, westerns, and martial arts films should enjoy the show and this film. It's not Ghost in the Shell or Neon Genesis. It's a simple, simple story. It doesn't deliver any social commentary on what it means to be alive, but it's still a powerful tale of family and morals. It delivers fun, with just enough maturity to satisfy me. This seems to be more of a review of Afro Samurai overall rather than just this movie, but to me, the show and movie are technically just one big 4 hour film.
March 4, 2015
For those of you that have seen Afro Samurai (The Series not this movie) and loved it save yourself some disappointment and just watch the series again. This is one of the most disappointing things I have ever watched. I watched this with the expectation that they were going to keep to Afro's character in this movie like they did in the series. And Afro is not that hard to understand. He's a guy who is out for revenge for his fathers murder, he likes lemonade, he smokes and he says really cool one liners and other than that doesn't say much. In this movie however they completely destroyed that last part of the character, which by the way, is the most important part of his character. And all throughout the movie I was wondering how all the stuff that was happening on screen relate to everything? Ninja Ninja contradicted himself by encouraging Afro to go after Jino and Jino's sister and then right after that he went back to complaining at Afro that " YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS MAN!" And everything else made no coherent sense. And I was trying to come up with something that would save this movie. I even watched it a second time to see if I missed anything. Which I didn't. It was only after I read the comic that I finally understood why they made this movie. Most of what is in this movie is just stuff that didn't make it from the comic into the series and most of that didn't make it into the movie either. They just took bits and pieces of what they could to make this into a movie and at least tried to have it make sense. And that is just infuriating because if that was the only reason they made this then it follows that the makers of this weren't even trying to do any such justice to the super bad-ass character Afro. This anime movie is the equivalent of The Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of The Crystal Skull train-wreck. It's stupid, it's got nothing interesting for our hero (or in this case anti-hero) to work with and it's tarnishing to his reputation. The only redeeming quality about this movie is the beautiful animation, but the best animation in the world doesn't do much for you if your movie makes no sense.
March 4, 2015
Garbage. Absolute Garbage.
June 25, 2014
A brilliant mix of Japanese anime tropes and western gangsta rap culture.
June 25, 2014
afro samurai: resurrection is incredible, there's tons of brutal action and tons of blood and gore
May 4, 2014
Not as good as the show but still a good anime to watch.
½ April 12, 2014
I rented this because I liked the Afro Samurai cartoons on Spike and because the RZA (from Wu-Tang) did the soundtrack. As the cartoons were, "Resurrection" is dark and bloody (lots of heads and limbs hacked off and bodies chopped to pieces in extremely graphic ways too disturbing to mention outside of anime). While the cartoons focused on Afro's search revenge, "Resurrection" focuses on his acceptance of responsibility (both as Number One and Number Two).

As with the first one, I find it a little hard to take the Teddy Bear robot all that seriously. Is it RZA's (and the animator's) way of acknowledging Kanye West (whose pre-Autotunes production style owes so much to RZA and Wu-Tang)?
November 6, 2013
Although the plot pretty much repeats the similar story of the Afro Samurai series, it was a great way to continue the series. The animation is gorgeous and fun to watch and the fight scenes are as intense as ever.
½ September 18, 2013
really enjoyed this. reminded me of Sat afternoon kung-fu serials mixed w/fifth element. plus, great music from rza.
½ July 12, 2013
Excelente continuación de la serie, ahora almo más retorcida!
May 28, 2013
good animation with the comedy of samuel l jackson
½ May 16, 2013
Great animation, good character development, sweet action, decent comedy, mediocre plot, but probably the best anime movie I have ever seen.
½ May 3, 2013
While a good enough movie on its own merits, it failed to answer any of the questions raised by the first film, and created many more of its own instead. More importantly, the animation quality took a bit of a hit, and the fight scenes (the major draw, of course) failed to cover any new ground. Cyborgs and robots? Seen it. Kuma? Seen him. Rival swordsman also on the path of the headbands? Yeah, yeah, the chain isn't doing much to differentiate him. The only truly impressive and unique fight scenes are one near the very beginning and a couple near the end.... And then the last one, the FINAL FIGHT pulls a total copout and tries to hide it as a "stylistic" ending. You're not fooling anyone, movie, and you just can't live up to the previous installment.

Incidentally, why is THIS film up on Flixster, but not the original? Lame.
½ April 25, 2013
Great 2009 Anime Action movie! I am glad the movie had some connection with the episodes. Afro Samurai was no joke in this movie! I wished the director Fuminori Kizaki showed the fight between Afro Samurai and his cloned father. Lucy Liu did a great job doing the voice of Sio! I think Samuel L. Jackson voice for Afro's sidekick Ninja Ninja was a little annoying. I was surprised that Mark Hamill(played Luke Skywalker in Star wars) did the voice for Sio's cyberg brother and RZA voice for the DJ!
½ March 24, 2013
Stylish, but not much substance.
½ February 22, 2013
if u r into a new concept of anime you have to watch this!!!!!!! :) i like it!
February 22, 2013
just as good as the first!
January 28, 2013
I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of amine by any means, but this is amazing. The art style is slick and creative. The humor always stays on top, and the gore is ridiculously entertaining. Anyone fans of the show better check this out. I need to start watching the series myself as I'm just getting into this phenomenon now.
October 28, 2012
My first adventure in Manga and I came away unimpressed. The foreground and background animation is beautiful but the character animation isn't all that good. Samuel L. Jackson who voices Afro Samurai barely mutters a few words the entire movie. The premises is confusing to say the least Afro Samurai ventures the world killing anyone he can to find the #1 Headband which will make him the best samurai around. Along the way the sister of his best friend (who he tried to kill years ago...or at least it appears that way the script never really says) tries to avenge the damage Afro Samurai caused her and her brother. The story isn't all that interesting and other than SOME great animation Afro Samurai just isn't much good.