After... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After... Reviews

January 2, 2015
Well this movie was a bit strange after a while. Begins fairly but annoying camera shots. Story is about some extreme sport explorers trying to jump from buildings etc. They travel to Moscow for a mission in undergrund facilities and there the movie totally loosing its path and feels like hostel environments almost mixed with sci fi/ghost stuff.. Anyway i didnt like it to much so i dont recommend this.
July 25, 2013
The concept begins well enough, but the direction and style are a complete mess and once the surrealism takes over the story is almost impossible to follow.
February 13, 2013
This movie would have benefit from someone who knew how to operate a camera properly. The cinematography is gut-wrenchingly bad. If it were better, it might have made the film remotely watchable.
December 30, 2012
½ September 2, 2012
White knuckle film. Fantastic! I couldn't tell insanity from memory from fact.
November 29, 2011
A rather remarkable low-budget psychological horror thriller. The basic idea underlying the story has been done many times before in literature and cinema but this is a very good contemporary take on that classic literary trope. This is a story about grief, regret, guilt, and the pain for self and others when we can't or won't move on following a tragic loss. The film makes very good use of real world settings -- especially the Moscow Metro. The acting is very good if occasionally more than a little histrionic but that is in service of the story's surrealism. Some reviewers have complained of the shaky camera work but much of that is a matter of Blair Witch Project (or Ghost Hunters) style pseudo-realism, while the rest is conversely in service of promoting the tension and surrealism of action and horror scenes. If you want a simple story with a feel good ending this is not a film for you.
September 8, 2011
I'm still a little confused by this movie. I think it is truly made to be confusing. However, there are so many things that interfere with the premise of someone going to corners of the world for extreme sports or urban exploring to suppress the loss of a daughter. But the story itself is one of the first things that gets in the way. The guy's wife is with him and she doesn't seem to care much at all.

It goes with a very point of view using vision cams as they go into worlds that may be ghostly, but appear to be nothing at all. Some of it may have been budget, but a lot appears to be conscience decisions. The shaky camera, odd effects, jumping from place to place, it all just distracts. And in the end, I am not afraid to say, I didn't really get it.
May 15, 2011
Strange movie. This is filmed in an unconventional way, and this helps to convey the emotion and confusion of the characters.
April 18, 2010
This low-budget horror by director David L. Cunningham is somewhat of a mind fuck, with a story that could of been pretty good it was wrongly executed and let down on a number of levels.

After... tells the story of 3 people, Jay, Nate and Addy. Nate and Addy are married and have recently lost their child. They are also a bunch of 'urban explorers' who go to places sealed off to the public as a sort of sport. They decide to go to Russian underground metro in search of Stalins 'METRO2' and Ivan the Terribles torture chambers. But everything doesn't go exactly to plan...

I thought the basis for this film was pretty good and while I have a lot of faults to pick with the rest of the film, this was probably the best idea. Through-out the film, they are mainly searching the areas until a number of things happen. Nate starts to hallucinate brought on by the guilt of the death of his child, I wasn't sure if this had any connection with the radiation poisoning which was never actually explained which 'caused the death of both Addy and Nate.

The acting was mediocre at best and while sometimes belivable, ultimately it was dissapointing. This fused with the confusing camerawork which couldn't decide if it wanted to take a third person prospective or found footage style of filming and the fast paced, annoying editing really frustrated me through-out the whole film. The soundtrack was completely wrong, taking an elecontric and in some places dancey sound which didn't fit at all with the theme of the film. The special effects were dire and while this film had its creepy moments, it was pretty much a failure.

After... would of worked well as a college student project but not as a consumer product. I wouldn't complain if it was given free through the internet but I know I wouldn't pay for this. While to give the film some credit, the story for the first 20 minutes was reasonably strong but in the end, it all went to shit.
½ July 2, 2009
I was only able to watch 15 minutes or so. I can't comment on the plot or even the acting - I didn't see much of it. I can say that this is a micro-budget film that fails on camera work alone. It's almost impossible to watch. Makes Cloverfield look like Last of the Mohicans.
½ June 3, 2009
This is My shortest review of any movie "This Movie Sucks".
May 29, 2009
Some interesting visuals, but not combined in any coherent way. Much abuse of the subjective camera technique, and the Blair-Witch-style confessional close-up which has lost all effectiveness through overuse. The ending where all is revealed is the biggest letdown.
August 5, 2008
Malisima, sin sentido, enredada, fome.
no merece mayores comentarios.
½ June 9, 2008
I was scratching my head with this one and ultimately turned it off. I'll give it another go later.....maybe when im pissed!!!!
½ May 25, 2008
Breaking & entering for the thrill of it...
but not enough to want to watch it all the way through. Fast forwarded through much of it and ultimately turn it off without ever finishing it.
February 19, 2008
eehhhhhhhhmm....I dont very rare and there is two films in one.
The Nate's faces are very good.
January 16, 2008
It takes a long time (most of the movie) to clue in to what's going on, and even then it leaves a lot of questions. It's a movie I like having seen, but I'm not sure I liked watching it.
½ January 13, 2008
Unlike most reviewers on here, I liked the second half better, especially the end. However, that doesn't mean I liked the movie that much. I had high hopes because To End All Wars was amazing. I guess mainly I didn't like the style of the movie. Too little dialog, too much jerking around, too little plot, too much cutting back and forth between camera shots.
January 11, 2008
I liked the twists to it but overall, I thought it was uneventful.
November 28, 2007
i feel if there'd been a bigger budget for the movie, it would be much better, but there's definitely something there. it seems to be rather polarized so be prepared to either love it or hate it... though i'm somewhere in the middle.