After - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After Reviews

½ October 4, 2016
After life, before death, there's a medium!

I happy that B movies exist. Because mainstream filmmaker won't do this kind of simple experiment. Actually there's nothing new in this film, the same old storyline. There are hundreds of similar films, even you can compare to the recent 'If I Stay', but the thing is it was differently told tale. The director's first feature film, and actors are not the popular ones, but with a decent story, everything looks so fine. The graphics for this kind of budget, not really bad. They even had a decent CGI character. Actually, most of the film takes place in the dark time, so they had all the advantage, hence the production was very neat.

Kind of a limited cast film, but very occasionally a few characters, including small background crowd appeared. When the twist comes in the final act, you will realise it is the same old crap, but well maintained suspense in the initial parts. Those content balance and good development is what worked in favour of the film. So the overall film was very entertaining, because I was not expecting any big from it after learning how it was received. Not for everyone, but I also suggest don't believe in those negative remarks on this. It's definitely worth a watch, even if you are not going to rate it low. So I hope you make a good decision.

August 19, 2016
Film was HORRIBLE! Very disappointed that they almost couldn't kill old man Johnson's dog but they try !! The sugar bomb should've killed it ( I don't understand why it didn't) but they did eventually did with a broomstick from the church. Also why didn't they grab a semi automatic weapon at the gun store instead of a bolt action rifle?? And what about old man Johnson you say ? Well he did show up at the very end but all along he was in the hospital!! And loved the cameo by Hillary Clinton who played aunt Lou!!! Enjoy with caution because old man Johnson will be watching you .......
April 4, 2016
I was pleasantly surprised, because I didn't go into this movie with high expectations, but I enjoyed it!
½ March 28, 2016
It was a fun ride and I thought it was very well done. Not many movies can make you care about the characters but they did a good job of developing their relationship. I've seen many "one to two people left alive" and "there's something in the fog" and "you can't leave this quaint village" movies and this was the best in a long time. Probably my favorite of it's kind since "The Mist" and it had a better ending. The director would do well to hook up with Joe Hill to produce "Locke & Key".
March 25, 2016
Different storyline.
½ February 14, 2016
Nonsensical garbage. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.
½ February 1, 2016
It was like a long adaptation of an outter limits episode, and not even a very good episode to begin with. I hate it when I figure out the plot points within 15 minutes of the flick.
I guess if you're bored and have ran through all the good options on netflix it's a good way to waste an hour of your life you'll never get back but if you have the option you should avoid this dull fantasy film like... a coma
January 2, 2016
Basically a ripoff of Soultaker. Somehow Ana begins life as a little blonde white girl and grows up to be a lovely Hispanic woman with a slight accent. Move along nothing to see here.
½ December 31, 2015
Very interesting and intriguing.
December 12, 2015
Surprising little film with two likable stars. It held my interest throughout. Suspense was real. A fine movie (and there's no gore!).
½ September 22, 2015
the beginning of this had a strong start and the feel from the bus conversation and the odd background music I had hopes for this. the story has potential but as it continues to grow, it's left inside a jack in the box that you hope goes off but never does. giving you the feeling that you were left with nothing really done in the end.
September 12, 2015
I am a sucker for the plot & themes in this film - you put someone wandering through an empty town wondering where everybody went and what's happening - and I'm hooked. The story isn't really original by any means - but it drew me in and kept me intensely focused for about an hour. This is a psychological thriller with touches of horror that unfolds psychological layers in a rather predictable fashion . . . but, like I said, I'm a sucker for this kind of film - dealing with personal demons, battling fears and anxieties, fighting against the unseen, trying to decipher the puzzle of cryptic visions & dreams, etc. If you like that kind of thing - check this out. :-) The ending is a tad disappointing however.
½ August 11, 2015
After's interesting premise is wasted on its pacing and writing, which make the audiences feel trapped in the purgotary
July 30, 2015
Hello, I have finally just finished watching After (2012) Directed and Written by Ryan Smith, now I am warning they will be spoilers involved.

Here is a brief plot of the story: We start by with our two main characters Ana and Freddy, they are both on a bus heading back home. The bus ends up crashing. Freddy and Ana both wake up to their home town disappearing with the mysterious black clouds heading their way and a ugly looking creature raiding the town both Ana and Freddy has to figure out what had happened to them, how they both connect and how to get out of there.

Now that?s just a little brief what it is about now lets get starting in what i thought about it.

Story line: I loved the story line, I thought it was interesting and it was the biggest thing that I enjoyed with the film, *spoilers* I like the concept of being in a coma and the character waking up unknowingly that they where in a coma now some films do have that kind of story and there is a indie game that had that kind of story too however this one brought connections to both of the characters. I enjoyed the memories scenes where you get to see both of them as children and how they bump into each other as kids. It wasn?t the greatest of story lines but it was interesting.

Characters: Now both of the actors who played Freddy (Steven Strait) and Ana (Karolina Wydra) where pretty decent actors however I felt Freddy character was pretty good the way he tried to help and coming up with ideas he seemed to work things out pretty quickly and stayed calm most of the time. Now Ana started out as a good character however halfway through she was moaning and complaining half the time though her character did get better again near the end of the film which I enjoyed. Not the greatest of characters but where pretty decent and I think Ana could of been written better.

Effects: The film was on a low budget of $650,000, the effects was not the greatest it seemed most has gone into the creature, the creature design was pretty cool and unique but the animations seemed a little off along side our main characters. When the characters enters the clouds / mist they used torches they had a lens flare on top of a torch light personally I did not like it, it seemed odd to me also there was a lot of wind now Freddy?s jacket stayed still for the entirety of it (jacket was lose it should of been blowing with the wind). Overall the effects could of been better but to be fair on them they where on a low budget and I think most of the budget did went on the creature.

Overall: The main thing I loved about this film is the story line, Freddy?s character and the design of the creature which was pretty cool as you meet the creature nearer to the end of the film. Didn?t like the effects I thought it was pretty poor and Ana character could of been written better.

Final thoughts: Doesn?t need a sequel, for being on a low budget I think the film did well however like I said the effects where pretty poor in my eyes. Story line was fantastic, characters was pretty good. If i had to rate it out of 10 I give it a 5.
July 14, 2015
this was just awful, even stupid at times. couldn't being myself to make it to the end
July 4, 2015
After is an enjoyable horror/thriller that is more story than gore and I'm the end is unnerving and sweet. Worth the watch.
July 1, 2015
Late one night, a young man and a young women are taking the bus home. They are chatting and nothing seems out of the ordinary, until there is a big crash. Following the crash, they both wake up safe and sound in their own beds, but as they begin their day, they realize that they are completely alone in the town, and a dense fog is moving in on them. This film is centered on the premise of solving a mystery, what happened to these people and where is everyone else? The actors run around for an hour and a half trying to figure it out, because they are stupid. I had "the big secret" figured out, five minutes into the movie, and that's the problem. If you genuinely don't realize what's going on, and follow along with these two, you might really enjoy this film. If you're like me, however, you will see these two as dumb, and quickly get bored. Steven Strait and Karolina Wydra star and don't do a bad job, it's difficult to hold the audiences interest, when their are only two stars in the entire film, but they manage to do so admirably. Maybe I didn't like this movie as much as I should have or as much as others will, because I did have it all figured out early on. I didn't find the film to be bad, I just felt that it was very on the nose. The secret should have been revealed sooner and more of the film should have been dedicated to it's resolution, for those of us who did manage to figure it out.
June 29, 2015
Tense, scary, well-written, and interesting all the way to the end. For me it was a true surprise because I had never heard of this one until Netflix recommended it to me. It's a bit disjointed at times and you really do have to pay attention to follow what's going on but it's satisfying both during the movie and at the end.
June 8, 2015
Well that was weird... I've never seen a movie take place inside a haunted like coma before.
June 5, 2015
This is a really cool film. I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but it really surprised me. Interesting story and progression, solid character development, and good action and horror. This was a total netflix gem.