After Darkness Reviews

• Jul 25, 2020

This movie is so bad, I couldn't stop watching it. The production design and art direction are the worst I have EVER seen in my life. And that's the ONLY interesting thing about this film. The half star is for poor Kyra who is wasted here.

• Jun 16, 2020

*** Spoiler Alert*** I thought it was going to be an end of the world survival movie, but I was mistaken. It's not that at all. It centers around a family in which the parents suffer from some mental illness. They all live in a mansion and believe someone is coming to save them and bring them to "the caves". However, no one comes and they never do anything to save themselves. It was very boring. They all die. The end.

• Jun 02, 2020

First, this is not a narrative film; however, it was an interesting and promising artistic film adaptation of Byron's poem Darkness. While the film may be great for the literature/history buff and does have some artistic merit, for most audiences, it ultimately falls flat. The film gives little context about the event leading to the cataclysmic darkness, which kinda makes sense when taken in the historical context of the poem. Tangent: I did appreciate the scene with snow/ash as a subtle nod Mt. Tambora eruption of 1815, which initiated the "year without a summer", but part of the failings of the film is the subtly of the context which is starkly opposed to the drama of the relationships. Within this lack of context, the writer throws in a random suicide which occurred years prior, and LGTBQ relationship, both of which felt random, unexplained, and without enough context for empathy. While the script bordered the melodramatic (intensified by the lack of context for the tableaus and vignettes of various degrees of suffering), the actors gave honest performances which engaged the viewer. Where the film really succeeded was in the lighting, scene/sets, and cinematography. The cinematographer managed to capture the vast opulence of a massive estate while simultaneously giving the viewer the sensation of a shrinking impoverished environment (which most of us understand in the current SIP environment). Overall, the film played out less like a film and more like a visual score, with disparate notes loosely linked into a melody carried by the mise-en-scene, albeit the composition was far more Stravinsky than Beethoven.

• May 28, 2020

I think they were going for a Waiting for Godot vibe, with desperate people waiting for a ride to safety from their awful lives. Fall flat. Kind of a mystery because of the cast - I saw who was in it and thought it couldn't be a dog with a cast like that, but alas, it was.

• Apr 22, 2020

Weird movie about a strange family living in strange circumstances. The dad is a truly hateful person. I rated it so-so.

• Apr 04, 2020

The movie was great. It made me feel all kinds of emotions.

The movie was great. It made me feel all kinds of emotions.

• Feb 10, 2020

This film simply failed at too many things.... why did the sun go out? why do the characters act so odd? why are there government bunkers of safety? why did they add a strange unneeded romances? etc.... It seems to try to be a post apocalyptic drama that ends up being just... meh. at the end of the movie, i ended up thioking that i wasted my time...

• Dec 11, 2019

So Awful!!!!!!!!!!!!! Piece of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Awful!!!!!!!!!!!!! Piece of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dec 02, 2019

This movie was pure CRAP!!!!

This movie was pure CRAP!!!!

• Nov 26, 2019

How could they allow this movie to be released to the public? I watched this movie blindly without reading reviews or watching trailers. What a depressing movie. This is absolute garbage. Wow.