After Stonewall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After Stonewall Reviews

May 29, 2013
Time dated at the conclusion of the nineties when gay activism was at its height, there has been a regression in the movement and now new momentum. Great for its time, the film makers may want to bring it up to date.
½ May 21, 2013
The timeline of acceptance in the gay community. Wow we have really come along way. Documentary pieced very well.
January 14, 2013
well crafted and accurate doc as someone who lived almost everything shown here in my defense i was only 11 years old in 1969!
December 27, 2010
Great overview of the first 30 years of the gay liberation movement.
½ April 15, 2010
The archive footage in this doesn?t have the fascination of ?Before Stonewall?, but this is a better documentary duo to more interesting interviews and it is more touching as well. Well made and thought provoking.
½ April 15, 2010
74/100. The archive footage in this doesn't have the fascination of "Before Stonewall", but this is a better documentary duo to more interesting interviews and it is more touching as well. Well made and thought provoking.
July 23, 2009
This documentary made me simulateously inspired and depressed. So much cruelty done to others in the name of Love (God). On the other hand, the triumph of the human spirit in the face of adversity aways makes me mist up a little.
April 23, 2009
Of the GBLT documentaries Ive seen, this has been the best, most comprehensive and most educational.

Showing the gay civil rights movement from Stonewall to the late 90s, through the free love of the 70s, the dawn of AIDS, ACT UP, the Names Project, Dont Ask Dont Tell, Matthew Shepherd, and the coming out of Ellen Degeneres.

Unlike the others, there is a stronger focus on the confluence of civil rights movements in the United States...how the black/civil rights movement laid a path for the queer movement and the womens movement, (mixed with hippie like movements too)and how they all bounced off of each other.

After Stonewall also doesnt only focus on gay men, but on lesbians, and GBLTQ people of color, which has been missing in the other documentaries I've seen so far.
March 3, 2009
John Scagliotti's sequel to Before Stonewall, in the middle of the rejuvenated concentration on the hostile response toward gay visibility, for all intents and purposes works from looking at how far the gay community has come in such a fleeting spell, for example how swiftly time passed between the Stonewall uprising to the liberation that was the American Psychiatric Association's elimination of homosexuality from the list of mental illnesses. Not that everything had revolutionized across the board.

This optimistic Melissa Etheridge-narrated composition dials up the pixels of a period in history and sees it as a storm of individual memories and personal epiphanies accented by palpable benchmarks like disco, San Francisco, Anita Bryant, Harvey Milk, AIDS, Rock Hudson and the betrayal that was "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." It is illuminating that more than once in this relatively positive and buoyant doc, everyone seems as if to have a particular, inimitable remembrance in which they declare to have understood that their task in the gay movement has reached its fulfillment.

Despite the fact that the ultimate breakdown exposing a documentary that on the whole simmers three decades of the gay rights movement down to disjointed, particular separate acts, it would be unreasonable to consider each remote epiphany in doubt. With expressive, colloquial interviewees like Allison, Larry Kramer, Barbara Gittings, and Charles Ching offering review, isolated moments of clarification come out seemed like t. Nor is it to After Stonewall's detriment to suggest that it pretty much organized itself, and all Scagliotti had to do was keep the pace up in the editing room.

Toward the end of the documentary, the Rev. Troy Perry declares that the most important thing gays and lesbians have done to change the world has been coming out of the closet. In other words, forget all the pride parades, the political lobby efforts, the letters to congressmen, the increasing commercialization of the gay dollarā?¦the last piece of the puzzle, both he and the patchwork After Stonewall (alright, and me) seem to be saying, in staving off what could easily turn out to be an extremely lean period in social history for gay rights is to ensure that as many people as possible can put the face of a close individual on the complex, volatile, and nebulous identity of what is so often viciously attacked as "The Gay Agenda."
January 5, 2009
Must see. Every gay youth should be required to watch this, as well as "Before Stonewall".
January 4, 2009
I wonder how many people today, gay or straight, have even heard of the Stonewall Riots, that famous time when a group of people in New York decided they'd had enough of police harassment. By all accounts, the Stonewall Inn wasn't the best atmosphere in the world--it didn't even have running water behind the bar--but it was the only club in town where men could dance with one another. Despite repeated bribes, it was still raided pretty regularly. One night, the regulars decided they'd had enough. Contrary to anyone's expectations, they actually by-Gods rioted. Initially, they even got the police to withdraw. It's really a fascinating story, and I encourage you to look into it. However, [i]After Stonewall[/i], obviously spends very little time on Stonewall itself.

What is the movie's focus is how the riots changed the world. Many of those interviewed had been part of the gay scene before the riots, too, but Stonewall redefined their world. Gay rights were suddenly an issue, with the placid, nondemonstrative groups of previous years giving forth to true activism. After Stonewall, there was the Gay Liberation Front. There was Harvey Milk. There were parades and heroes. And, inevitably, there was AIDS and the loss of a generation of potentially great gay men (lesbians have been hit much less hard by the disease, for obvious reasons). There was "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Finally, there was the lesbian chic of the '90s, when the film was made.

It's a lot to cover in 88 minutes. Necessarily, many things get touched on lighter than many others. Harvey Milk gets mentioned, but not much about him is told. Barney Frank tells some of his own story, but he doesn't get all that much more time than Harvey. The lesbian experience seems to be shown more often than that of gay men, but there isn't enough imbalance for me to get all that upset about it. There is definitely discussion of how hard it was for lesbians in the gay rights movement, where they were "just girls," and in the women's rights movement, where they were "dangerous to the cause." The final story of the movie is the struggle for gay marriage, which is still going ten years later.

Obviously, how much you like this movie is going to depend in part on your political stance. However, being as objective as possible, I think it's pretty good. There's a lot of archive footage employed here, and those interviewed are from a relatively wide swathe of the community. It's true that mostly, they're people you've heard of--Frank, for example, and Rita Mae Brown, not to mention narrator Melissa Etheride. However, they did have to find these people, and it's always easier to get in touch with the famous than to find regular folks with good stories to tell and the will to tell them. It's not a perfect film, but I think it's important.

When I reviewed [i]Before Stonewall[/i], I speculated on the changes between Stonewall and the making of [i]Before Stonewall[/i]. The two movies were made a few years apart, meaning there's less change from when it was made than when the first one was made. However, in either case, I don't think it's all that much. In some ways, indeed, we've gone backwards with the current passage of Proposition Eight. What has amazed me most about the things I've learned recently is that the only country in the world that guarantees equal rights for gays is South Africa. Gay marriage is legal there, too.
½ December 30, 2008
I watched this immediately after, "Before Stonewall". This one actually evoked me to shout at the TV several times, especially when it showed Jesse Helms. It also brought up strong emotions with its "AIDS" coverage. Just as the "Before Stonewall" DVD I would recommend this to anyone whom is interested in the history of gay rights as well any person interested in HUMAN RIGHTS.
June 24, 2008
Gets one fired up and moved to see the power of protest, esp. during the AIDS crisis. Makes one wonder what we lose in an age where lots of activism is of the digital variety, which has its advantages to be sure, but when you see how much people benefited from the visceral and personal experience of coming together in the "real world" you wonder if anything as powerful could happen today. Props to Jesse Jackson for speaking at the rally, BTW.
March 9, 2008
Gay History 201. Required viewing. Sketchy coverage of post-AIDS period, which really requires its own documentation. Looking forward to update including last eventful decade.
February 24, 2008
Interesting documentary about the beginning of major developements in gay rights beginning after the Stonewall Riots. In the end, there aren't any revelations, but it works as an overall coherent document of the gay rights movement. The stuff about lesbians and gay men sounded artificial, but the intentions are good enough to forgive the occassional misstep.
February 17, 2008
learned quit a bit more about stonewall and the gay rights back then. interesting at best.
October 21, 2007
Very imformative documentary about the LGBT movement in the US. A sequel to 'Before Stonewall' , this documentary shows you how far the LGBT community have come in a relatively short amount of time and also how much further it needs to go before true equality can be achieved.
½ March 14, 2005
hmmmmmm what to say........... this is the kind of documentary for those people who dont want to go pick up a book and look shit up.

and for those of you who dont know what Stonewall is, it was pretty much considered to be the beginning of the gay rights movement. It happened back in the late 60's in june. that's why gay pride is always in late june....

ANYWAY, movie for those who dont want to read!