2019 - Dopo la caduta di New York (After the Fall of New York) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2019 - Dopo la caduta di New York (After the Fall of New York) Reviews

September 13, 2016
A personal favourite of Italian post-apocalyptic films. Here the battle is on in the search for Earth's last fertile woman. George Eastman is billed as a special guest star while Michael Sopkiw draws Clint Eastwood comparisons from the box write up.
January 23, 2016
Revisited this post-apocalypse flick the other day as part of a boxset and it holds up as well as expected from films of this cycle, where it's set in the far-flung future and still manages to feel very much of the '80s, as the budget only allows them so much wiggle-room.

This also sports elements of Escape From New York in that you've got desperate characters trying to get out of the city and fighting their way past all manner of gangs and creatures to do so.

Worth a rental for sure.
September 22, 2015
Out of all the post-apocalyptia that came about in the wake of Mad Max and Escape from New York, 2019 is certainly one of them...
½ October 29, 2014
Charming silly dystopian 80's B-movie fun, that actually turned out pretty good...you know, for being so bad. Kind of a Mad Max meets Children of Men meets Escape From New York. I enjoyed it, laughed at bad writing, liked sets and models, and found myself interested in the story. A good bad movie.
July 5, 2014
A real sleeper. Sure the story line is old, but good action and considering when it was made decent special effects.
June 11, 2014
After a nuclear war, society breaks down into two groups, the evil Euraks and the rebel Federation. A mercenary named Parsifal (Michael Sopkiw) Parsifal is hired by the Federation and the President of the Pan American Confederacy (Edmund Purdomto) to infiltrate New York City, which is controlled by the Euraks, to rescue the only fertile woman left on Earth. Along on the trip he is assigned with to men, Ratchet (Romano Puppo) and Bronx (Paolo Maria Scalondro) to help him with his mission. The trio will have to face all sorts of danger lurking around in New York on their mission...??"2019 - After the Fall of New York" ("2019 - Dopo la caduta di New York") is a 1983 Italian science fiction film directed by Sergio Martino in both English and Italian. It is of the post-apocalyptic Italian genre similar to the films "1990 The Bronx Warriors", "Blastfighter", and "Endgame". This is of course a poor man´s mish mash of particularly "Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior" and "Escape From New York", but compared to "1990 The Bronx Warriors" (which is ok from a perspective of the genre itself), this is pretty poor I must say. The effects are, well... hardly good, the action comic, the dialogue wooden, the acting shoddy and the crappy models of the city landscape is something extra. Even the bloody names are horrible. Parsifal? I reckon the only thing I did like was to see Anna Kanakis ("The New Barbarians") again. Nah, this is a pass in my book, unless you are a true Italian exploitation fan.
½ July 19, 2013
Flame thrower and post apocalypse? I'm there.
½ January 8, 2013
A hugely enjoyable 80's Italian post-nuke sci-fi/action blast--In search of fertility!!
October 27, 2012
Mildly confusing post apocolyptic film where 3 men go to New York to get Earth's last fertile woman only to have her sent off to space. Borrows heavily from more popular films like Mad Max. Cast looks like they are going to a Sex Pistols concert.
½ August 2, 2012
2019 APRES LA CHUTE DE NEW YORK en vf. Rejeton de NEW YORK 1997 à la sauce spaghetti avec des acteurs courgettes, un scà (C)nar flan, des dà (C)cors en pâte d'amande et une rà (C)al en sauce blanche...
½ April 4, 2012
Decent and often cheesy (which is okay in low budget B-movie) 80's Italian apocalyptic movie. I guess the story was cool enough that "Children of Men" used it.
March 10, 2012
Everything but the kitchen sink.
½ November 16, 2011
Enjoyable post apocalyptic genre picture with obvious influences such as 'escape from new york', 'blade runner', 'mad max' and 'the warriors'. Cheap but still highly watchable.

2nd viewing - confirms my initial review.
½ October 29, 2011
A mix between Mad Max and Escape from New York with Italian flavored style. It's a little cheesy than I expected (flying ships and lasers), but hell that doesn't stop it being entertaining. It's only available on Region 1 so be sure your player can handle it first.
May 3, 2011
Post-apocalyptic sci-fi trash from Italy ripping off "Escape from New York". I love the fact that some outrageous action happens every three minutes. Fun flick.
Ariuza k.
½ March 4, 2011
It's the movie that the "Children of Men" Ripped right out of the books and copied it in every way, And this movie I am talking about is of course the big budget (Made to look like) Italian post-apocalyptic movie "2019: After the Fall of New York"! It's really nothing short of being larger than life "Sergio Martino" Italian Blockbuster it's pretty good despite the error's and production values that are very amusing to one to view. I have no doubt in my mind "Alfonso Cuarón" director of "The Children of Men" was a fan of this movie I have simply seen to so many references including the story with the last fertile Women Left on Earth.

So what will the world be like in 2019? The movies surprisingly have quite a lot to say on the subject and that particular year. Akira (1988) shows a technologically advanced civilization that suffers from violence. Soylent Green (1973) shows a society overrun with an oversized population and lack of food. Blade Runner (1982) shows a world dying, the skies permanently blackened and the majority of people moving to other planets. As per usual, the predictions are rather grim, and 2019: After the Fall of New York, in terms of prediction, is probably the grimmest of them all.

Our Narrator tells us that no human child has been born for 18 years (Since the Nuclear War) and society is nothing but many fractions such as the Asian-Japanese Culture/Fraction the Eurax. They are a fraction outside any known government Control and they are desperately trying to save the human (Despite them being evil!). They control just about all of America and there Base of operation is New York City.
And beyond them is the American Union the last thing left of any known Government, But they have Intel that there is a fertile Women Living in NYC that could give life again, But they need her for there "Interstellar Travel spaceship to another planet (No Joke Ether)" So they send 3 men in who know the city....So it gets simple

FIND HER AND GET THE HELL OUT BEFORE THE EURAX GET HER!

We'll all you do is Rip-off "Escape from New York" "The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2)" And add some element's from "Planet of the Apes" And really just have this....Though in all respect it was better than "Escape from New York" ever was, Many say that's action pact, Personally I didn't see it.
The story is erratically wrong, But in a good way there are some interesting element's like "Big Ape" for example this monkey/Human like creature even though he doesn't look like an Ape. The ending scene was WTF and again WTF. But you know it's coming....The ending chase scene was okay, enough violence to keep one entertained.

The acting is okay, Michael Sopkiw is often described in this movie as an American Hero in Italy, Playing a role for an Italian Sci-fi/Exploitation picture. Anna Kanakis plays the hot, Female Eurax leader she is okay I guess, George Eastman even has a role in this movie, he plays the leader of the Apes, And he wants out of the city and goes with them. So for everyone else......Well done....Sort off.

The first Italian flick of its kind to use "Computer Generated Imagery" for the laser at the end firing at their car in the Holland Tunnel, And Michael Sopkiw car is reinforced with Steel Plates to stop that from Happening. So overall it looks decent, The special effects are okay, The starting scene showing the ruins of the city looked pretty good, Nothing to complain about.
Like all Italians they made the killing scenes in this movie violent, With loads of blood and gore despite the picture not being all that graphic. This movie only holds a less than 15 rating so don't expect much of it.

The Eurax look like freken Storm-troopers from Star-wars, And there Japanese Leader looks like Darth-Vader, But hay....Italians....
The music is decent, But overall nothing more.

So it's a decent Sci-Fi flick, After this I never looked at the Children of Men the same ever again. Of yeah before I go I forgot to say there is a large Picasso mural from Children of Men in this movie.
February 17, 2011
"Huh! They've been combing the city for you guys, like yous' was bunches of bannanas. Why?"- Big Ape (George Eastmen)

A cult classic to be sure.
November 1, 2010
The Best Post-Apocalyptian Movie The Anti-Hero really kicks Ass, the Euraks are really dooming and the Apemen are really crazy in the Dark Atmosphere of the Radiated Manhattan
½ September 12, 2010
Je met 4 étoiles et demi car c'est savoureusement n'importe quoi. C'est genre escape from new york avec tout le budget mit sur les gogosses simili-technologique, le scénario manque p-e un peu de finesse. Le perso principal à une attitude de dur, tellement qu'il en perd en realisme par moment.
Sérieux j'ai quand même aimé car je suis amateur de Cyberpunk et ce genre est rare mais ce n'était pas si oppressant que cela car à plusieurs moment des scènes sont assez absurde pour faire sourire.