After The Reality Reviews

• Jan 09, 2018

A masterfully crafted indie film that brought me joy, sadness, and a very unexpected ending. The script was right on the money, the music and sounds were perfectly selected for each location and the scenery was breathtaking, I had to go to the credits to see where they filmed the movie. What most surprised me was that even though this was an indie film, the quality of the actors, location, film quality (I'm not a movie critic, I don't know the technical lingo, but the visual and sound quality and recording angles) was something that you would expect from a major production. This movie has a beautiful and real life-like story line and is absolutely worth your time. I'd rank this movie in my top 10 favorites so far for this year!

• Sep 09, 2017

Fun little film with a familiar cast. Weird but it left us wanting more 'Young Bucks' when it was over. Seems made for a rainy weekend afternoon.

• Aug 19, 2017

Sugar-coated drivel. Waste of time. No point to the story. No resolution.

Sugar-coated drivel. Waste of time. No point to the story. No resolution.

• Aug 19, 2016

In this little independent dramedy with a large idea, writer/director David Anderson's 2016 film After The Reality should serve as a nice palate cleanser to the many cheese-filled television shows that feed America. Anderson has ABCs 'The Bachelorette' (his is called 'Young Bucks') firmly in his crosshairs and the parody is mostly spot on with his recreation of melodramatic music, sweeping crane shots and dating show clichés. While this portion of After The Reality is fun, it serves as the backdrop to the real drama of the plot about one of the contestants (performed by Glee's Mathew Morrison, doing is sad sack indie best) going back home to see his family. The kicker is that the show is currently running on air while he is home and many questions are brought up (Did he win? Why is he gone? Are they in love?!). The problem is that Anderson puts a lot of the scripts "drive" in this and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to come up with the (probable) resolution-leaving the viewer thinking 'get on with it.' The tone widely shifts from the "reality show" portion of the things-acting as satire-to the family drama and Anderson never finds a coherent middle ground for two, leaving After The Reality a topsy-turvy affair with some nice distractions but nothing too impactful.