After the Thin Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After the Thin Man Reviews

Antonius Block
½ June 16, 2016
This is such a delightful movie. Myrna Loy and William Powell are a perfect couple, each of them so endearing, and their banter is as sharp, witty, and alive today as it was in 1936. I was continually tickled by them throughout the movie, as he contends with her aristocratic and stuffy family, she playfully comments on his saltier acquaintances, and together they find themselves trying to unravel a murder mystery. As an added bonus, we get to see Jimmy Stewart in one of his earlier roles, and cute dog tricks provided by Asta. Oh, and in a brief scene, check out the woman dancing amidst a wild party they come home to - I loved these little touches.

The shots of San Francisco and various sets are beautiful, the attire is gorgeous, and the script is strong, which resulted in screenwriters Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett being nominated for an Oscar. Pulling all of the suspects together at the end is a little formulaic and it gets somewhat complicated to understand all of the motives and actions, but it keeps you guessing and the final 'whodunit' is clear. Movies that try to do it all, having elements of comedy, mystery, romance, drama, and song and dance, are often weaker as a result - but here the entire package is quite satisfying. This was the second movie in what would be six total in this series, but it stands on its own and while watching it, you can understand why it was so popular. The murder mystery gets a little glib but still merits four stars, and Loy and Powell are compelling and warrant four and a half, so I round up on the overall rating.
April 8, 2016
I think I agree with TCM's Robert Osborne's comment this past New Years Eve 2016 that many people liked this more than the first one. I'm one of them. The pacing is tighter, the laughs come quicker and oh, Asta. Bad dog. Bad. Oh, and oh my... Jimmy Stewart is in this, looking young and preppy... and he was smokin' clean cut sexy. I get it. I really do. Wow.
March 27, 2016
Great film. This is the second of six films in the "Thin Man" series, and it's one of the best. The writing is great, very funny stuff. The cast is also excellent, including a young Jimmy Stewart in one of his earliest roles. Highly recommended!
January 16, 2016
William Powell and Myrna Loy return as Nick and Nora Charles in this second Thin Man film. Like most of the sequels, the mystery is really not the reason you want to watch the film. It's the witty banter between Nick and Nora that makes these films so wonderful and this one is terrific. Director W.S. Van Dyke returns for this second outing. and the film is also boosted by and early performance by James Stewart as one of the cast of suspects. Easily the best of the many sequels.
January 1, 2016
A satisfying follow-up to the original. Listen closely for those one liners.
October 28, 2015
I felt After the Thin Man definitely overpowers its predecessor. I found The Thin Man a little convoluted, but this one was easier to take in. The cast of suspects was varied and enjoyable, and a stunning finale was the highlight of the film. A lot of critics and viewers enjoy the witty banter between husband and wife, and I feel its like the icing on the cake. The murder mystery is the cake, the main part, and the icing is the sweet back and forth on top.
October 26, 2015
Gave this another look the other afternoon and I have to confirm: This is such a fun series, and one that holds up amazingly well to repeated viewings.

In a terrific sequel to the original film, the Charles' arrive home in California and are immediately drawn into another mystery.

Well worth a look and maintains the snappy dialog and chemistry between our leads.

Recommended.
½ July 12, 2015
Continuing the Thin Man series was a good idea because Myrna Loy and William Powell have such superb chemistry and it leads to extremely charming dialogue. If every moment of After the Thin Man was just with these 2 characters I might love the film. Honestly, I think what holds this movie back the most is the murder mystery, which is a strange thing to say because I usually love mysteries. The case is not the most complex or interesting. It is simply a case of the deadbeat husband who everyone wanted dead and now we are left to wonder who did it. It feels like one of those stories that was crafted by a murder mystery dinner theater crew because literally any of the suspects could be guilty of the crime and it would be unsurprising. But I find the people so fun to watch I still can't seem to help enjoying most of the movie. It's always a treat when Jimmy Stewart is in a film and here he gets to show some interesting range. Aside from that, After the Thin Man is not much different from the first film in the series. One thing I did find weird was how they created a bunch of little vignettes for the dog, Asta. From what I've been told, that dog was quite famous at the time and so they almost created a full role for it in this film. However, watching the movie nowadays, it's like everything just stops for these scenes and it kind of detracts from what was taking place up to that point. I might explore the rest of the movies in this series, and I can recommend them for some light-hearted mystery fun, but I can't imagine watching them multiple times.
½ November 8, 2014
One of the finest sequels of all time, and very much just as good as the stellar original. The comic timing is perfect, and there's just enough extras such as musical numbers. Hasn't aged a day in the past 78 years. William Powell and Myrna Loy had something very special together. I'm very much looking forward both to the remaining four sequels and the two documentaries of The Thin Man boxed set.
October 22, 2014
Well, the chemistry is still there, but the story, not so much. The song/dance numbers are awful, as are the parts with Asta. And it has the same suspect group ending. Still, gotta love watching a young Jimmy Stewart!
½ August 21, 2014
almost as good as the first <3
½ June 29, 2014
Pretty good follow-up to 'The Thin Man', but not as clever, or twisty plot-wise. Stars William Powell and Myrna Loy still have great chemistry together. Also features a young Jimmy Stewart, and a pre-'Blondie' (and pre-blonde) Dorothy McNulty AKA Penny Singleton.
June 2, 2014
This sequel to "The Thin Man" manages to preserve most of what made the first film so appealing. William Powell and Myrna Loy have wonderful chemistry, and although the mystery isn't very compelling (the killer is exactly who you think it is), their light, comedic interplay is what you come to the film for anyway. Asta gets his own plot line here ... and it involves betrayal and canine infidelity! A very young Jimmy Stewart has a very atypical role here. The movie ends with a stinger that points to the domesticity that makes later entires in this serious inferior.
½ March 17, 2014
Nothing like The Thin Man movies for snappy dialogue and really neat mysteries. This one even has Jimmy Stewart's first role. How much better can it get?
November 22, 2013
One of those rare sequels where it is as good, if not better than the original. Nick and Nora are back on the case the two haven't missed a step. The plot gets personal as Nick's cousin's lover disappears. Despite the darker tone, the humor is still light and witty and once again, the finale is what makes these Thin Man movies so great. It has a great cast, including a young Jimmy Stewart, and an engaging murder/mystery plot that will have you guessing until the very end.

Grade: A-
April 8, 2013
Nick and Nora and their hectic New Year's Eve and beyond--Sparkling Follow-Up!!
March 16, 2013
The Origins of the Heiress

It's funny, if you think about it. This is the second film. There are six in the series altogether. In this second one, we follow Nick (William Powell) and Nora (Myrna Loy) as they return to her home. It would be two more movies before we followed Nick home, and in theory, he's the main character. We know, in the first one, that Nora is an heiress, that Nick doesn't ever have to work again at anything more complicated than making sure her money is there. He's a former cop, too. We know that from the beginning as well. And in every movie, he encounters someone or other he's sent to prison, or in this case the brother of someone he sent to prison. However, we don't learn about his family until after we've encountered hers. I think this is because he's more shaped by his past work, and she doesn't have any. She went from being an heiress to being Mrs. Charles with no employment in between, as was sort of expected of her.

Nick and Nora have returned to her hometown of San Francisco. It's New Year's Eve, and their plan is to spend it in bed together. They mostly talk about sleep, but that can't be all they have in mind. However, her Aunt Katherine (Jessie Ralph) summons. Her cousin, Selma Landis (Elissa Landi), married badly, and Selma's husband, Robert (Alan Marshal), had disappeared. The family has decided that, if they must have a detective in the family, they might as well use him. Only Nick and Nora spot Robert at a nightclub/Chinese restaurant, and Nora asks Robert to go home. Only Robert has other plans. He has persuaded David Graham (a young James Stewart) to pay him twenty-five thousand dollars to leave Selma, who used to be engaged to David. And then, as all this goes on, Robert is murdered. Selma is the obvious suspect, of course. It doesn't help that David threw away her gun. And, as is so often the case in these movies, there are more bodies to come.

It strikes me that no one in the piece seems to care about Selma as a person except Nora. Nick cares about her as "Nora's cousin." Aunt Katherine and the others care about her as part of the family and its honour. Robert cares about her money. David? Even without getting into spoilers, and be aware that Graham and I have some dispute about how believable the ending is, if David really thought of Selma as a person with her own thoughts and feelings, he wouldn't have made the offer to Robert that he did. He was, when you get right down to it, offering to buy Selma. Yes, as Nick and Nora agreed, you could rather get up a collection to make Robert go away, and a lot of people would have contributed to it. Nick and Nora, for example. However, Nick and Nora know that Selma has her own decisions to make, and if she doesn't, she'll just resent anyone who tries to force it on her. David . . . turns out to have his own issues, but anyway no one would ever buy anyone they thought of as a full person.

I think perhaps the point of this one, insomuch as there is a point, is that you can never truly know what's going on inside another person's head. One of the characters we ware meant to see as shadowy and sinister turns out to really like Nick and consider something Nick did in the past to have been a great favour. Another character has been harbouring resentments he will not show. Some characters who appear to be in it for love are in it for money and vice versa. Yes, Robert is a fairly unpleasant and unsalvageable character, and we aren't supposed to see him as anything else. That being said, one of the characters we really are supposed to like turns out to have a darker nature than anything in the film leading up to it could suggest. (Which is why Graham doesn't like the ending; he finds it unbelievable. I find it all too believable and think the actor does a superb job, better than in many of his better-known movies.) And there's Nora's conflict between being who her family wants and her own thrill in the chase.

The series as a whole was nominated for five Oscars. The first movie was nominated for four, all of which it lost to [i]It Happened One Night[/i]. (Myrna Loy wasn't nominated, which is a bit of a shame, really. It's because there were only three nominees in the category that year, I'm sure.) This lost to [i]The Story of Louis Pasteur[/i] for screenplay. I have not seen [i]The Story of Louis Pasteur[/i], but I do know that biopics of that era are almost universally bad. Actually, it's the only one of the five nominees that I haven't seen. As is typical of the category, most of the nominees were comedy. It's the one field where the Academy generally acknowledges the challenges of comedy. However, while comedies are much more likely to be nominated in the writing categories, they aren't as likely to actually win. Oh, sure, these are only sort of comedies, but the comedy is at least as important as the mystery.
½ March 12, 2013
Simply not wonderful like the first thin man!
½ January 8, 2013
I know these are supposed to be cute & funny and all, but has anyone noticed the pathological & diseased alcoholism?
Shockingly evil villain.