After the Thin Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After the Thin Man Reviews

December 18, 2012
Interesting twists and appealing (as ever) main characters. It's hard not to like the "Thin Man" series.
December 17, 2012
# 2 in this series makes me wonder why MGM waited 2 years 2 follow up the hugely successful first thin man.
December 6, 2012
Fun, humored murder mystery.
September 15, 2012
I love detective/noir fiction, even if it is hilarious! I've tried all my life to be half as charming and witty as Nick Charles! My major complaint about special effects in movies today is that people use them, for the most part, to replace well written dialog.
½ July 24, 2012
It's safe to say that the second installment in the series actually surpassed the first one. The socialite couple is investigating another murder case, which seems to be even more demanding than before. What's great about this movie is it's newfound freshness and a young James Stewart in the most unusual role. Highly recommended.
½ June 2, 2012
Absolutely splendid!
May 27, 2012
August 25, Union Square :)
½ February 18, 2012
Our recent trip to see The Artist got me nostalgic for some classic cinema so I decided to sit down with one of my favorites, After the Thin Man. The second movie in the the Thin Man series based on the book by Dashiell Hammett.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the series, it was very popular in the 1930's and they eventually made six films in all. It featured Willam Powell as Nick Charles, a retired detective from New York who has settled into a life of leisure after marrying a wealthy heiress named Nora (Myrna Loy). Despite being retired Nick finds himself being dragged into various investigations.

In After the Thin Man, Nick and Nora have just returned from New York to their home in San Francisco. As soon as they arrive they are asked to attend a dinner party at Nora's aunts house. While at the party, Nick finds out that they were asked there to look into the whereabouts of Nora's cousins husband (Robert). He has been missing for several days and Nora's cousin (Selma) thinks he might be out having an affair.
Nick and Nora locate Robert and soon discover that he is up to no good. Robert is having an affair with a night club singer and is planning to extort money from David, a wealthy business man who has always loved Selma, and would love to have Robert out of the way. Robert promises to move away and leave Selma to David if he pays him $25,000.
Robert has pushed his luck a little too far though and he winds up on the wrong side of dead. Now, Selma is the number 1 suspect and Nick and Nora have to find out who the real killer was.

The plot sounds a little bit more convoluted than it really is. The movie plays out like a pretty typical who dunnit right down to the final scene where all the murder suspects are brought together in the same room so the killer can be revealed. What made this movie and all the Thin Man movies great was the chemistry between the two leads. William Powell and Myrna Loy play off each other so well that many people assumed they were married in real life. The thin man concept has been duplicated many times on TV. Show's like Hart to Hart, Remington Steele, and Moonlighting all tried to play off a similar theme.
There are a couple of other things worth checking out in this one as well. Jimmy Stewart is in the movie in one of his very early roles. Also, check out Asta the Charles family dog. You should be able to see where the idea for the dog in the artist came from.
If you have never seen any of these films I recommend checking out the original The Thin Man first and then trying out some of sequels but, After the Thin Man definitely stand out on its own as true classic.
February 17, 2012
Terrific sequel to the original movie.
½ February 8, 2012
Powell and Loy are in top form, and their sophisticated repartee is as razor-sharp as it was in the first film, but the central mystery presented here is not as compelling as the original, despite the presence of Stewart in an uncharacteristic early role.
January 26, 2012
A great follow-up to the original classic.
½ December 3, 2011
Such pleasures! The witty William Powell, the beautiful Myrna Loy, and the wonderful James Stewart in a youthful, breakthrough role. The plot is tricky and fascinating; the characters, engaging as always; the humor, infectious. What a wonderful ride!
November 28, 2011
The best of the series. The party scene is priceless. The dialog and characters are so perfect. It almost sounds like Damon Runyon wrote it.
November 13, 2011
Just as great as the first. I love Asta.
October 6, 2011
Klart bakfull uppföljare som sladdar lite i de stora hjulspåren som The Thin Man lämnade men uppbådar tillräckligt med energi för att underhålla.
August 18, 2011
Even better than the first! Nick and Nora Charles (Powell and Loy) are back solving a case involving a missing person and murder. With the help of Nora's cousin Selma (Landi) and her friend (Stewart) they come to the truth-- although it's a shocking one. The second installment of The Thin Man series was not disappointing at all-- the wits and charm almost get better in this one. Powell and Loy have a great chemistry, and you even get to see Jimmy Stewart in an early role. W.S Van Dyke delivered another great movie, and it's shocking to think how underrated he is today even though he made such good movies. If you are looking for a fun '30's comedy, this is most definitely for you. If you already loved The Thin Man, the second won't be a disappointment!
July 26, 2011
I love the Thin Man movies! Powell/Loy great couple.
March 20, 2011
This series of films is all about the privilege of watching Myrna Loy and William Powell offer wit and a happily married chemistry as some nefarious plot unfolds before them. The detective angle drives the plot, and Jimmy Stewart definitely raises the level of the cast in this, the second installment of the series. The fact that I am not sure whether I prefer the first or the second says a great deal about the success of this one. Fun film.
½ January 22, 2011
This is a really fun movie. Powell and Loy have great chemistry, they really are believable as a married couple that LIKES each other. Plus the cast of criminals that surround this one are funny and each just a nastier and more colorful than the last. I have fallen in love with the Thin Man movies!