Efter brylluppet (After the Wedding) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Efter brylluppet (After the Wedding) Reviews

½ August 28, 2016
A very powerful and emotional film. Uniformly brilliant acting and a great script. What initially seemed like plot holes and strange behavior by certain characters were revealed to make perfect sense from each character's perspective.
August 5, 2016
Some of it is obvious, but overall it is a great movie.
½ July 2, 2016
Melodramatic pap. I'm shocked by the high user and critic scores. Every choice was confused. The hyper kinetic camera movement with documentary stylings and no lighting like a Dogme 95 film had no relationship to the Days of Our Lives plot twists and overwrought acting and dialogue. I think this got the overinflated "international rating," where critics elevate mediocre foreign films because, let's be honest, how many great movies are coming out of Denmark these days?
April 6, 2016
Danish-born Jacob is running a orphanage in India, but when he returns to Copenhagen for some charity business his life is turned. A wedding is key here, but I won't give out more plot details. I can guarantee you some clever turns and twists and a very fascinating story.

The pace is superb as the story grows and grows without turning uninteresting. It looks good, it's well directed and it got some very good performances. Bier got some great films under her belt and this is in her top three for me. The newer ones seem poorer from reviews so I haven't given them a go, but her older ones are super solid.

Very human and deeply moving film carried by superb performances and a very solid story.

8.5 out of 10 stuck zippers.
April 2, 2016
I'm a very hard to please movie maniac. What a riveting story this was out of Denmark. That's what I like about foreign films . . . . they have such enchanting and sometimes dark plots. I recommend this film highly!
March 16, 2016
Knudsen and Mikkelsen are superb.
November 25, 2015
After the Wedding is difficult to watch at times and has its fair share of European boredom. Despite this, the film is a powerful movement of art, emotion and relationship and the director has found an impressive way to spin the family issues so often reduced to stereotypes in modern filmmaking. Mikkelsen really turns in a gravitating performance here as well.
½ August 15, 2015
I have officially become a fan of Susanne Bier. Only her can create such intense drama in the simplest of tones. Great performance by everyone as a bounce.
½ June 15, 2015
Emotionally dense and surprising!
One of those movie that have to be seen to be understood.
March 16, 2015
Susanne Bier's film is a bit melodramatic, but it's strong cast and big heart make it a rather moving experience.
January 15, 2015
very emotionally charged good film
½ December 22, 2014
Refreshingly original premise with a nice twist even if it is unrealistic. What is realistic are the characters the interactions and the outcomes. Scandinavia can always be relied on in this regard.
½ December 5, 2014
If Mads Mikkelson has done an average film or worse then I've not seen it. This is a splendid film, compelling story and great performances. I'm becomming a big fan of Danish cinema.
November 30, 2014
A film I will watch again. Pulls off the unbelievable.
November 8, 2014
Decided to give it a try seeing so high ratings was disappointed. Seemed like a nice plot with the suspense feeling in the beginning but went downhill pretty fast, corny and predictable story line. The camera work with the extra focus on the eyes was so irritating,in trying to be too artistic it lost it's way.
November 2, 2014
The Swedes really know how to make an engaging and profound film. A movie like this first glance may scare off many because of subtitles but don't let them!

This movie is exceptional from the get go! Mads Mikkelsen(NBC's Hannibal) is awesome and delivers a raw emotional and honest performance. I loved the premise - that it was about saving an orphanage in India - but of course there was a lot more.

Highly Recommend!!!!
October 10, 2014
How many flavours of daddy are there? If you adore yours, and are of the sensitive persuasion, watch when you feel strong, as this covers death, lies, abandonment, infidelity, and all sorts of challenging occurrences.
½ September 27, 2014
Lately my film tastes have been changing. I've been enjoying more foreign film; Scandinavian films especially. I'm not sure if it's my desire to travel there that's making me gravitate to these films, but I find them very satisfying and quite enjoyable. They don't seem as generic as American films; don't get me wrong I love American films, but sometimes I find them kind of bland.

This film from Denmark is an excellent film that delves deep into the complexities of the family dynamic. There are secrets, illnesses, and struggles between a man's charitable work and his desire to be with his family.
Mads Mikkleson (Hannibal) gives and amazing performance, and is becoming one of my favorite actors. The entire cast is wonderful in this film. I know foreign films are my for everyone, but you won't be disappointed of you give this film a shot. Recommend this flick.
½ August 14, 2014
great performances, interesting characters,and the story was decent.