Aftershock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aftershock Reviews

½ June 9, 2015
this is a piece of garbage its just a horrible movie its the worst movie ever i watched in my whole life screw this movie
½ April 21, 2015
the idea of making a film about natural disaster but not when it happens, yet after it strikes is quite new n brilliant, the storyline is cool but seems a bit dragged out, the shiver and gore is not that bad, but couldve been better..
½ March 9, 2015
What happens after earthquake and people are waiting for Tsunami to come.. A nice plot idea but a very bad screenplay so a bad film.
½ February 9, 2015
I like Eli Roth but this was too unappealing for me.
½ November 30, 2014
I'm not entirely sure why people hated this film. Well, that's not true. There's despicable characters, a genre shift, and a plot that won't stop kicking its characters when they're down in increasingly brutal and depraved ways. Much like other films that do these things, it doesn't always sit well with viewers, and Aftershock uses a multitude of tactics to turn off the audience. But, I can't deny that the execution is excellent. I felt my heart racing in some scenes, not because they were scary, but because of how they made me empathize with the helplessness of the characters. It succeeds in transmitting that visceral feel many movies shoot for. Sure, there's a couple of obligatory shit twists, but in the end, it's a good film for what it is. It doesn't aspire to be high art, but it does offer a ridiculous ride that while not enjoyable at all points, does get you invested in the movie.
½ November 17, 2014
Decent gore and decent kills, but other than that, Aftershock is so bad that it's almost funny
October 30, 2014
I felt the aftershocks after watching this horrible film. Try the first 15 minutes and I'm sure you'll start shaking...
October 22, 2014
Takes Too Long To Pick A Particular Direction. It's Low Budget & Acted Badly, Abruptly Violent In Parts, Some People Like That, I Didn't..But There Are Some Rather Hot Chicks On Show.
September 10, 2014
Aftershock's best attribute is the disregard it shows for the safety of its central "heroes" who perish in brutal and generally unexpected ways. I say SKIP IT!!!
½ August 31, 2014
I was beginning to wonder if I was watching the wrong movie. The whole disaster thing is like an afterthought. It should be called "Travel brochure for Chile, and maybe an earthquake if you wait long enough"
½ August 26, 2014
30+ minutes of boring and gratuitous discoing and drinking before the earthquake, followed by a sloppy plot, unlikeable characters getting picked off in various grisly ways. Not an iota of artistry - really does seem like it was an excuse for Eli Roth to go on vacation in Chile.
½ August 24, 2014
Eli Roth has made a quick name for himself with his gonzo style of filmmaking and go-for-broke use of gore and violence. His latest film, "Aftershock," features Roth as star. producer and writer but not as director as he hands the reins over to Chilean director Nicolas Lopez who makes his English-language debut.

It's a very different project, part graphic horror movie and part disaster picture, and the end result is a very mixed bag indeed. It opens with a whimper, a full thirty minutes spent on character development in a film where character development isn't in the least bit necessary. What we find out about these people (that they're fathers, that they're rich) has no bearing on the rest of the film and in no way influences your opinion of it.

That being said, when disaster does strike the film picks up considerably but remains only marginally entertaining. It's certainly bloody and raw enough but it's also cold and uninvolving. There are a lot of great shock moments, but it always just feels like a series of moments and never a cohesive motion picture.

This is not a special effects project, but they are impressive considering the tiny budget, and even though the scope and setting are grand the movie always feels small. And even though you'll quickly be able to see how this is going to end, Lopez films it in a way that is nevertheless a stunner when it indeed happens.

I liked quite a bit of "Aftershock." but it never comes together quite like it should. There's plenty of visceral action here once it finally gets going, but it still left me cold.
August 19, 2014
Not bad, seen better plus pointless ending.
½ August 14, 2014
Fuck you Nicolas Lopez. Just FUCK YOU !
½ August 6, 2014
Don't get me wrong I enjoy Roth's films. But this was straight up garbage. From cheap scares to predictable twists to horrid production value. There is just no point to this mess of a horror film.
July 30, 2014
Pointless blood and gore flick with characters you can't possibly care about.
July 22, 2014
Aftershock is an average Disaster Horror film that has a good and interesting concept but the execution is average. This movie is based on the 2010 Chile earthquake where a group of friends are spending their vacation in Chile for a night of partying with three girls. But soon the earthquake strikes and as they go out in the open they soon learn that the open is the beginning of their nightmare when they leave the club not only the earthquake has caused a massive destruction but also the prisoners have escaped during the earthquake and the group must escape before they all die. When I was watching this film to be honest it was average for one reason and I only wish it could have been better because the movie is good in several moments but the whole film is extremely flawed and sometimes dull although the movie is entertaining in truth even though its flawed and dull. What's very good about Aftershock is that the movie is a combination of two different genres its a Disaster film and a Horror film at the same time and it is a very creative technique in film history and it kept me interested a lot. What I also like about this film is that the film's plot is great and for a Disaster Horror film it works its not bland or cliche its a neat story that's well developed and has a proper build up. The other things I like about this film is that the whole movie is gory, brutal and violent I mean extremely violent and seriously there are loads of scenes that are violent, gruesome and extremely brutal to watch and the gore is extreme to the max(Face smashed by a speeding car, Death by loudspeaker, A man gets his hand amputated and a nasty fire ax kill)and I so love seeing the gore and blood in this film and this seriously has the best gore effects in Horror history plus I love how the movie is full of inventive twists and turns that are so surprising. Now as I said the film is extremely flawed that's why its an average film. One of the main issues of the movie is that the film is hardly scary or suspenceful and the film doesn't have a single atmosphere although it is quite tense in a few scenes. While the other problems with this film is the budget of this movie. From what I can tell the film looks low budget since the movie was only shot for 37 days and the earthquake effects are very Direct to DVD looking even a few of the CGI scenes look dated and poor I wish it could have been better if it had a bigger budget. And the characters are shallow and not fully developed. Now as for the acting I seriously had mixed feelings about it and lately I don't know any of the casts except for Eli Roth although his performance in this film gave me mixed feelings as well and I only wish that not only it could have been shot on a bigger budget but the movie could have been better if they had a better casts as well and it would look like a superb, well crafted Disaster, Horror film. Rookie Director Nicolas Lopez did a fine job with his work on this film and for a rookie in making this film its a great start for Nicolas Lopez's career as a Horror director. But I could imagine that if he shot this movie on a bigger budget with a better casts he could do something even better and I hope when he directs the sequel to Eli Roth's The Green Inferno which is titled Beyond The Green Inferno I hope it will be better because he might shoot that film on a bigger budget with a better casts and will completely surpass his work over this film. Overall Aftershock is an entertaining but flawed Horror, Disaster film and it could have been better for some reason but it is average but typical and entertaining overall. This movie gets a 6.2/10.
July 15, 2014
I generally like natural disaster movies they are a horror class all their own. That being said I did not have subtitles on the version I got so in that area I may have missed a lot but I got the gist of it at least. I liked it, I liked the ending definitely can tell it was CGI but I thought it was decent,
July 14, 2014
This Movie Is Aggressive!
July 12, 2014