Aftershock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aftershock Reviews

½ May 21, 2014
You've got to love Eli Roth movies because he'll have the camera follow a hot, long-legged chick into a room just because she's in a bikini...however this movie was 95% pulpy B-movie crap. Sure there are violent deaths but you don't care too much if any of the characters make it out alive or not. I do like the ending though....
Francisco G.
½ May 10, 2014
Yep, the worse thing I saw in 2014 so far. This is just wrong on way too many levels. It looks like poo, the story is poo, the actors are poo, the shock values are just awful and poo, poo, poo, poo. Get away from this.
½ May 8, 2014
Terrible. Atrocious acting topped off by a horrendously offensive, uninspired 'twist' when it finally reaches it's climax. Avoid.
May 8, 2014
Half-decent horror alert! Eli Roth co wrote, co producedand stars this, so you know it is in good hands. Although not a classic, it certainly has a lot of gore and some genuine chills. We follow some tourists (Roth being one of them) in Chile, when a strong earthquake strikes, followed by a number of aftershocks....and possibly a tsunami. The trouble is, that in the town where our heroes are, also has a prison full of rapists and murderers that have got loose, thanks to the earthquake.
Aftershock does take a while to get going, but stick with it as once the quake hits, it pretty much non-stop. I guarantee that the final scene will stay with you for a long time after the film ends...
May 2, 2014
the intro was too long and boring; it was unnecessary to be honest.
½ April 22, 2014
Kind of a puzzling movie. Not sure why it was made. No real obvious point other than to see lots of people die. Ending was dumb.
April 14, 2014
a different twist on the natural disaster flick
½ April 6, 2014
Aftershock (Nicolás López, 2012)

Man, Aftershock got excoriated by both the media (as of this writing it has a 35% critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes) and the public (26%), hasn't it? Now, I will be the first to admit that I can be easy to please (though my movie reviews are pretty close to a bell curve, so make of that what you will), but, well, I kinda liked it. It wasn't Hostel, but then, the same week I watched Aftershock, I also watched Daydreamer, Order of Chaos, The Oxford Murders, Apollo 18, Five Dolls for an August Moon, and Appetite, and all got lower ratings than Aftershock. So it's not like I'm watching these things in a vaccum... it seemed to me that López and Guillermo Amoedo (Retorno) took the seventies disaster flick and the naughties survival horror flick and combined them with pretty darn good results-nothing spectacular, but certainly not bad.

Pollo (Que Pena tu Vida's Nicolás Martinez, doing his best Zach Galifinakis impersonation) and Ariel (Promedio Rojo's Ariel Levy) are a couple of Chileans hanging out with a friend they affectionately call Gringo (Inglourious Basterds' Eli Roth). After some setup that really is one of the movie's weak parts, the three of them find themselves in one of Chile's sleekest nightclubs, a marvel of underground engineering...that is the worst place in the country to be when a massive earthquake hits. (There have been tremors in the film previously, dismissed by Pollo as nothing out of the ordinary. Oops.) Also trapped with them are some lovely lasses the predictably socially-awkward guys have been hitting on (there's an interesting romance subplot that begins to develop between Ariel, the non-party-guy of the trio, and the straitlaced older sister, but that takes a backseat to survival, unfortunately). However, once they get out of the collapsing nightclub, they discover that they might have been better off staying underground.

No, there's nothing new here. But the combination of old is interesting, the characters are stock without being stereotypes, and there is real tension to be had in some places where it is unexpected. It may seem as if I am praising with faint damn, and that is accurate; I enjoyed the movie without being wild about it, so I'm trying to be restrained as much as I can while still saying "yeah, you should watch this and ignore what you're hearing from everyone else". It's not breaking any new ground, hardy har har, but as far as being a mildly interesting disaster flick with survival-horror elements, it fills the bill. ** 1/2
½ April 4, 2014
Strange movie that ending too late. Should have ended after the first scene.
April 3, 2014
Well, all the leads expire and no one is left, except the unlikable one, oops never mind..I rather enjoyed this movie and Valparaiso is gorgeous
March 28, 2014
Not Eli Roth's best movie
½ March 19, 2014
this is kind of like the Eli Roth made for Netflix movie.... B-Movie
½ March 12, 2014
Dark, brutal, and hopeless. This is not a movie for fans of romantic comedies and happy endings. I liked it.
February 26, 2014
Aftershock is garbage. It not only takes a while to get going, but once the earthquake hits, debauchery and mayhem of the most ridiculous kind ensues. While there is certainly the element that humans devolve into savages in response to a crisis, everything here is executed in the most heavy-handed, simple-minded, and uninteresting way possible.
February 26, 2014
This was a fun enough movie about an earthquake and the aftershocks killing people and it focuses on a group of friends trying to survive.
Eli Roth helped write and acted in this film.
Some really good make-up and effects.
Really random and unnecessary cameo by Selena Gomez.
February 26, 2014
Its about an earthquake, but you'll probably forget that halfway through due to the ludicrous events that follow. And that wave at the end was icing on the cake, hilarious!
½ February 22, 2014
the goods
interesting premise
the bad
if possible would give it a 0 one of the worst movie i have seem in while a franken pile of poop
½ February 18, 2014
Talk about a major time waster. I wish I had the hour and a half of my life back for the reprehensible piece of garbage. The plot revolves around an earthquake in Chile and the fact that human beings are even worse than we thought, especially in the murder and rape category. Grade: D-
Ricky Miller 2/18/14
February 8, 2014
Ignore the reviews on here. This is a full on horror yarn much in the style of a novel from the late,great Richard Laymon. Captivating and peversely entertaining.
February 3, 2014
I love disaster movies. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. You have about 5 minutes of Earthquake and the rest of the movie is the main characters trying to run and hide from the prisoners that have escaped from the prison. Not one main character survives. Could have been a good B rated, at best, movie. Don't...read more bother with this movie, BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.