Against the Ropes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Against the Ropes Reviews

½ March 28, 2015
Her accent in this movie drove me crazy, horrible.
½ November 14, 2014
So sad. Not the plot. I mean the whole movie in general. Omar Epps is so much better than his acting in this. Meg Ryan was hanging on by a thread. And with this movie the thread should have broken.
August 29, 2014
Despite the fact that it's loosely based on a true story, there's not a lot of authenticity to "Against the Ropes," a watered-down boxing melodrama filled with sports movie cliches and boring, stock characters.

I get that spunky Meg Ryan being cast against type as real-life promoter Jackie Kallen is the big draw here, but the actress is terribly unconvincing in the role. Her persona doesn't have the weight to pull it off, but it's really the screenplay that lets everyone down here.None of these characters are written very well, and the relationship Ryan has with her boxer is especially weak. Omar Epps is just fine in the role, but not once do we believe the bond between him and his manager, and that's essential to the success of the picture.

The weakness is further strengthened by the fact that the Ryan character isn't very likable most of the time , especially when it becomes apparent she's only concerned about herself. The first-time direction by Charles S. Dutton is very stiff and mechanical, and it's even more distressing in the boxing scenes. They aren't very exciting, and they should have been the centerpiece of the film.

Instead, since the writing is so weak, we don't have much interest invested in these people or their story. Even the championship fight feels anticlimactic, but the whole things ends predictably enough. "Against the Ropes is as routine and by-the-numbers as movies get, a lazy and uninspired drama centered around a story that didn't need to be told.
December 31, 2013
Meg Ryan is trying herself at something new but she fails to truly convince as a boxing coach in this otherwise pretty entertaining film.
½ May 16, 2013
Ryan is better off playing the romantic interest.
½ January 28, 2013
Good! An average fighting scenes since I didn't expect that the last fight would end very soon as if there was no chronic bruise Omar Epps had received for the 1st 2 rounds., Although it would teach us a lesson that somewhere in the middle of our career, the track would change due to temptation presents to us by greediness., as we would realize afterwards that we didn't gain anything, rather, we lost everything that was important to us., that without them, we would not be complete., After thourough pondering what had happened, we would know that we have live the life we've been dreaming, only too dumbful to notice it.,
December 31, 2012
another good boxing film
December 7, 2012
May watch...
September 11, 2012
Lots of cliches,some cute regular Ryan-looks and that's all. Boring.
August 18, 2012
My dad is in that movie!! He plays a reporter.... :D
June 18, 2012
i thought it was well made, a good story.
April 25, 2012
I barely remember it, but I know I lkied this Meg Ryan.
April 22, 2012
Doesn't look good... poor meg.
½ February 15, 2012
Awful chick flick. Corny as hell.
October 31, 2011
cant relly review this one too much because i couldnt finish watching it.this movie would probably only appeal to mid 20's to middle age women who want some girl power.the only thing i could say i really liked was the DMX song they play in it.
½ July 24, 2011
I don't think Meg Ryan is the right person for the part. Her whole performance seemed forced and awkward. Other than that, the story is not bad but definitely not the best execution....
July 14, 2011
Loosely based and I mean really loosely on the life of boxing manager Jackie Kallen. Meg Ryan delivers a good performance in a movie that had so much potential but at times falls flat. My biggest misunderstanding with this movie is why it says anything about Jackie Kallen, besides the name of Meg Ryan's character and her gender, nothing else resembles the real Jackie Kallen's life. This is a predictable, feel good by the end film and it fulfills that purpose. So what if you have it figured out half way through, Meg Ryan and Omar Epps performances make up for the completely stereotyped performances of everyone else in the movie. Worth renting at least once.
March 11, 2011
Easy to see why Meg Ryan would want to be involved in the true story of boxing manager Jackie Kallen--it gives her the opportunity to go all Erin Brockovich. The movie itself is only very loosely based on Kallen's life, so loose it pretty bears no resemblance to a coherent story. Ryan is terribly miscast and saddled with an unbearable Detroit accent and a nowhere script. And other good actors (Omar Epps as an aspiring champ, Charles S. Dutton as his trainer and Tony Shalhoub as a promoter) are also taken down, but much of the blame can be placed on Dutton, who directed this swill.
½ February 12, 2011
The directing was a bit poor. It would be good for a T.V. movie on a Saturday.