Against the Ropes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Against the Ropes Reviews

½ January 7, 2011
Held my attention, but just okay - not great.
½ November 18, 2010
This was the worst boxing movie I ever saw. Against portrays the story of woman boxing manager and pioneer Jackie Kallen. What makes it so bad is this movie is fictionalized and steps into the usual Hollywood underdog-against-all-odds storyline when the truth about Kallen's life is far more interesting. It would have been great to see a story about her managing James "Lights Out" Toney and their eventual falling out and their often times tumultuous business relationship. Or what was she thinking constantly matching Bronco McKart up against Ronald "Winky" Wright? We will never know because this movie does not delve into that. It is the usual formula taken from Rocky Balboa. It would be nice to see a movie based on the true story of Jackie Kallen much like you would see with Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull but this isn't it.
September 3, 2010
½ July 30, 2010
** (out of four)

Meg Ryan tries to halt her career from being KO'd, but it doesn't work in this predicatble time waster.

Ryan plays legendary female boxing promoter Jackie Kallen. It follows her as she battles the man's world of boxing promoting as she pushes her own boxer to the top.
July 18, 2010
Not the best choreographed boxing fight, more for the story. Worth watching for Meg Ryan. Talented actress and still beautifull. Omar Epps did a good job also.
April 6, 2010
Really good movie kept ur interest throughout the whole movie!!
½ February 28, 2010
The concept - of a woman 'making' her place in a man's world (sports management in this case!) - was pretty interesting... wish they didnt pull the entire story down by the emotional melodrama between Jackie, Luther, et al. .... which KILLED IT!!
February 5, 2010
February 4, 2010
i love boxing movies
January 9, 2010
½ December 31, 2009
(**): Thumbs Down

Fair at best.
December 25, 2009
Great movie about a good up and coming fighter and his female manager.
½ December 14, 2009
Omar Epps played and boxed very well.
I expexted more from Meg Ryan, it feels like she have lost the touch of acting, I wish she was "stronger" and more expressfully, which I know she can. One of my favorites with Meg is "City of angles".

I didn't really get the ending of this movie.

ps:
I LOVE the leather cloth Meg used several times during this movie, it fitted well on her :))
½ December 6, 2009
'Against the ropes' is everything but a knock-out. A mediocre, thirteen in a dozen, feel-good drama. This has got to be one of the worst 'boxing' movies ever made !
½ November 22, 2009
I loved Meg in ths role. But that is about it. The rest of the movie was eeehhh.
FiLmCrAzY
½ October 20, 2009
quite a hated movie!
although it isnt original its not a terrible movie and is quite a good movie, it kept me entertained and interested in the movie and i thought it was pretty interesting.
I enjoyed the story and its based on real events as well and i enjoyed the acting and writting of the script i think the movie showed how men are predujice and sexist when a women does a supposed male job that no women should do, and i think it projected that across brilliantly i really enjoyed the movie.
Meg Ryan is brilliant and so is omar epps i love tony shalhoub in this hes brilliant as the horrible trainer businessman.
Meg Ryan pays a women whose bossed about and finally gets the chances to take on a fighter for boxing but she takes a risk with an unsuspeciting surprise that turns to be a huge bonus, but will the fame get to her and will she continue to have the fighters best interests at heart?
Funny in places and keeps you entertained and a real good emotional journey through the life of a women who gets everything good movie!
½ September 13, 2009
This one for Meg Ryan - but it also was quite a fascinating story. Even if normally I would not go near anything with boxing involved!
September 1, 2009
Fantastic story about one woman's rise to the top of what was once a male dominated industry!
Her story proves that women can be just as good as men... if not better!
She accomplished something that we should all strive for... excellence!
½ August 15, 2009
A basic rags to riches and money vs. morals -story. Nothing new. Actors were too good for this story.
June 5, 2009
She makes Don King look like a saint.