Agantuk (The Stranger) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Agantuk (The Stranger) Reviews

October 19, 2017
It is a hidden gem of a movie reflecting profoundly on civilisation, culture and what it means to be educated.
½ December 23, 2016
Satyajit Ray's final film, Agantuk is very artfully crafted albeit with a deceptively simple story ruminating over the modern human society and its components. A movie with some of the finest actors of its time, Agantuk leaves a lasting impression with excellent acting performances over the board. Utpal Dutt obviously stole the show, his screen presence being spellbinding, and deliveries enthralling. Mamata Shankar as housewife Anila, Deepankar De as her husband and Bikram Bhattacharya as their wide-eyed son - all played their roles with utmost sincerity. Supporting actors were also well chosen, Rabi Ghosh and especially Dhritiman Chatterjee had stunning performance. Ray had shown such control over his content, such range of human emotions that his story brought to the screen that one can't help but wonder how deeply he reflected upon his own vast experience and feelings about the modern human society. Agantuk, with his inspiringly simple storyline, managed to almost effortlessly invoke questions about trust, values and tradition under the guise of an easygoing, feel-good movie.
May 10, 2013
Provocative story of honouring the family unit, suspicion and trust. The mystery of the supposed uncle is played out through the married couple dilemma of offering hospitality to a family member but also thinking they are being taken for a ride by a stranger. The audience are kept at the same level as the pair throughout and this gives it its edge.
March 18, 2012
One of the best films to come out of the tradition of French New Wave and Italian Neo Realism. Satyajit Ray never ceases to astound.
April 1, 2011
brilliant performance from Utpal Dutta real treat if you understand the bangla dialogues ..
May 27, 2010
I would if I wasn't done questioning my beliefs already
May 27, 2010
This was satyajit rays last movie and though not one of his finest but very important one,in this movie the satyajit ray takes on the very foundation of society with one of the finest acting by utpal dutt,he questions our very belief in religion,culture,moral values and humanity itshelf.
January 12, 2010
One of my most favorite film... I have watched it more than 50 times...
July 26, 2008
best character in any film ever is acted by utpal dutt..
January 27, 2008
One of the most engaging movies I ever saw.
December 1, 2007
A film from his (Satyajit Ray) short story, I like the character depicted by Utpal Dutt
October 26, 2007
Satyajit Ray with his class in one his last film...
September 20, 2007
A beautiful portrait of a wandering uncle who wanders into his middle-class neice's home. A movie about a clash of ideologies in which neither can understand the other but still neither can live without the other.
½ August 21, 2007
All that Ray wanted to say, says in this superb last movie!