Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas Reviews

• Aug 17, 2020

If you ever wondered whether it would be possible to make what is essentially a revenge story tedious, slow and boring to watch, then ‘Age of Uprising: Michael Kohlhaas' is your answer. The pacing is strange for such a story and the sparse dialogue stands out, and not in a good way. Yes, it's nicely filmed making use of the beautiful surroundings and locations, and the cast is great with the always superb Mads Mikkelsen doing his best to offer some point of interest which results in a few engaging scenes, but even he can only do so much. In short, it's neither fun nor entertaining and I found myself often checking my watch which I never take as a good sign.

• Jun 08, 2019

I watched it only because Mads Mikkelsen is in it. I just needed to get out of my head the Mikkelsen Hannibal persona, since I didn't like the series at all but love Mikkelsen. I agree with all those who found the movie too slow. A half hour could have been excised in the movie's interest. I was most annoyed by the bad lighting and filming that was too close, showing irrelevant fragments , as if tearing apart and dissecting a beautiful painting. At times the camera moved so erratically that it seemed to be a home movie. Thankfully, Mads Mikkelsen made it all worthwhile. He's a major actor of great charisma and sensitivity.

• Dec 22, 2016

This movie is impressive. This is a novel adaptation, the book dating from the XIX century. I think it has to be seen by those who want to understand the idea of revenge or who simply would like to do law. Because the movie explaining what justice is worth. Sorry I'm french so my English is not amazing.

• Aug 10, 2016

Too slow for me! And, as a French, I had a hard time understanding Mads. Though he did better than in Igor & Coco...

• Apr 25, 2016

Good story - very straight forward telling. Nothing more.

Good story - very straight forward telling. Nothing more.

• Apr 12, 2016

First class cinema : a director with a clear vision, a brilliant performance by the whole cast, a perfectly paced story. Cinematography is sublime too

• Apr 06, 2016

Given France has such beauty throughout, they've found some bleak settings for this preachy middle-ages story, which does help to reinforce the unrighteousness of what we see.

• Jan 31, 2016

I think some stories are told best in movie form, and other stories in novels. Michael Kohlhass's story that this movie tells belongs to the second category. But, Mads Mikkelsen captivates your attention from beginning to end, and the movie is worth your time, when you watch it just to see his performance.

• Jan 23, 2016

Sparse. Dry. Boring. Charmless. A poor man's version of Barry Lyndon. The hero fights and retires for justice, or order. The landscapes are sometimes beautifully shot and the horse birth is grotesque and pretty at the same time. At least a quarter, maybe even half of the film is shot in shadows. It's annoying and difficult to see. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• May 10, 2015