Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes) Reviews

October 19, 2016
This harsh film is also a fascinating show of power and it's effects.
September 10, 2016
Visually stunning with live colors and epic haunting atmosphere because of Werner Hertzog's cold touch and Klaus Kinski's frightening performance. A true masterpiece in cinema history.
August 26, 2016
The technical difficulties in making the movie only enhance the madness of the characters. It is one insane nightmare journey that leaves the viewer immediately connecting dots to great novels rather than other films. Like Moby Dick, Heart of Darkness, and Blood Meridian... a story of how the only thing more fearsome and threatening than nature is the darkness of the human heart.
July 21, 2016
Hilarious to watch with no sound in a night club.
½ June 25, 2016
Although beautifully shot and very atmospheric, the thing with the overdubbing lines just threw me off, because it took some of the realistic feeling away from me. So, in a way, despite all its grandeur, it felt a bit dated to me. By the end I wasn't much interested. Great story though, and very bold movie making!!
June 11, 2016
To be honest, my favourite part of this movie is Helena Rojo's face.
June 6, 2016
Aguirre, the Wrath of God looks great and it has a memorable ending, but everything else here is subpar with not that great acting, a dreadfully slow pace and too minimalist dialogue and story. I got its appeal, but to me its greatness never really came to fruition to me and it is such an overrated, immensely disappointing movie.
June 4, 2016
The best film of Werner Herzog (to date) is more current than once: a surreal, dreamlike fable of the fall of the European civilisation
April 24, 2016
Wonderful cinematography and compelling performances mark this tale of a doomed expedition searching for El Dorado. The further they get from the small enclave of Pissarro's version of "Spanish Civilization," the less constrained by the laws of their society they become. In some ways, this film reminds me of Lord of the Flies , in the break down of "law and order" to "law of the jungle" the further they go into the unknown. Masterful film.
April 17, 2016
Aguirre is one of the movies that I wouldn't reccomend anybody to see, even thought I can't say anything negative about it. The action is slow and kind of calm for a movie about dwelling slowly into madness. As a twist on a classic "Heart of Darkness" formula, Werner Herzog's movie is definitely good, but may be too "weird" for mainstream audience.
March 24, 2016
With visually stimulating (though dragging) camerawork, powerful performances, and detectable levels of real danger, this gritty and epic tragedy is a highly influential picture from Germany's Werner Herzog.
March 9, 2016
the horse scene hace blew my mind away
February 17, 2016
Directed by Werner Herzog, Aguirre, the Wrath of God is a phenomenal work. Agonizingly slow and incredibly boring (both of which are strengths and compliments), the film does a fantastic job capturing the endlessness of these conquistadors' journey, their confusion, and their exasperation with their surroundings. Even more, it does a fantastic job capturing their boredom and their hallucinogenic state as their journey drags on and on. Klaus Kinski was a real odd ball in life and this is exemplified here as he is insane in the film. He turns in a great performance in Herzog's masterpiece that apparently heavily influenced Apocalypse Now and it is not hard to see why, given the similarities of some elements of the films. As a whole, it may be too slow for some, but it is purposefully paced and is a fantastically crafted film that is entirely odd, unique, and completely down-to-earth.
January 25, 2016
This is one of my favourite films of all time. It is on many top 100 list for greatest movies of all time. This is definitive Herzog and Kinski. The background music is haunting. It is a low-budget, foreign masterpiece of cinema, which highly influenced Francis Ford Coppola's production of Apocalypse Now, another of my favourite films of all time.

The journey of conquistadors as they search for the El Dorado, the fabled city of gold, wears on the viewer in a wy that it is supposed to have worn on the historical crew of Aguirre 500 years ago.

Klaus Kinski, somewhat of a nut himself, in real life, is one of the few actors who can pull off such a believable performance as Lope de Aguirre. The film is somewhat based on his supposed legendary journey.

This is the story of trailblazers into the nothingness of the South American jungle via the Amazon. The madness, loss of hope and mutiny that creeps over the expedition accelerates towards one of the greatest final scenes of all time. One that I must have watched over and over 10s of times, and consider one of the greatest scenes of all cinematic history.
January 18, 2016
Ensimmäinen siedettävä Werner Herzog elokuva jonka olen nähnyt. Tämän pystyi jopa katsomaan tuskailematta.
½ January 13, 2016
Glacial but dangerous. Mythic and haunting.
December 22, 2015
A challenging film to watch as it's sat in the 16th century and there are not much stuff here that makes it interesting at first glance.

The crazy Don Lope de Aguirre leads a Spanish expedition in search of El Dorado and that is interesting enough. The just as crazy Klaus Kinski does a brilliant job portraying Aguirre and is the film's most impressive actor. Some impressive scenes, other are more of the disturbing kind. Impressively shot and a nice little story. The soundtrack is sweet. I got some problems with getting entertained, but after a while, when the indians are more appearing, it get's a lot better.

Chaotic and daring, impressive and slow. Naturally, with men as Herzog and Kinski on board, it has some trivia that's even more interesting than the film itself.

6.5 out of 10 little monkeys.
December 7, 2015
I don't know how to rate this movie stars one to five. At least not without adding a big question mark to it. A film that must have challanged the crew's endurance and continued to do so with the viewer. There is a brilliant dialog and depth - never pushed or dramatically shown. A clean and sharp dialog as I'm used to with Herzogs films. The film impressed me in the field of hard work - actually floating on real rafts in a large river. Highly interesting, sometimes challenging to watch but the thing that surprised me the most is that I kept thinking about this movie for a long time after watching it.
½ August 23, 2015
A beautifully filmed journey of doom, as an army seeking the fabled gold of El Dorado is led into the jungle by the brutally narcissistic Aguirre (Klaus Kinski). This tale of vainglorious folly features a wonderfully villainous performance by Kinski and is directed, filmed and paced in director Werner Herzog's best form. Fans of Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" will find much that was influential on that 1979 masterpiece. The gorgeous score by Popol Vuh is neither invasive nor distracting, and is ingeniously complementary to the use of traditional pan pipe throughout the film.