Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes) Reviews

July 22, 2017
I was completely spellbound by Aguirre, The Wrath of God. Aguirre is a stunning film - so haunting & powerful film to watch. Slow paced and intense; the Amazon setting and music are dauntingly absorbing. When a films stuns you to the extent that you struggle to put your thoughts into words, you know it's a special one. Everything about Aguirre is astounding. Herzog's masterpiece is nothing short of a classic, and will continue to inspire other suspense-craving directors and audiences forever.
July 3, 2017
While it was a little odd hearing Conquistadors speaking German, that can quickly be forgiven as no other actor could have embodied Aguirre so well. This is a captivating tale of greed, obsession and insanity, with breathtaking visuals and camerawork.
June 18, 2017
Aguirre is a masterful, poetic examination of the collision of humanity and nature, with a brilliant script that brilliantly juggles its selfish characters, but yet allows them to be human.
June 3, 2017
To say that Werner Herzog plays it safe is a terrific understatement he has remained quite daring throughout his career.

The story of Spaniards in search of the lost city of gold El Dorado in the Amazon.

The film focuses on the 2nd in Charge commander who descents into madness & obsession & affects the whole group. Low Key film that is an interesting watch despite its unpredictable plot.
½ May 22, 2017
*Spoiler Warning

When I looked at a summary of what this film would be about, I assumed that it was going to be a fast-paced action film. However, what I got was something entirely different. This film felt unique compared to other survival films, and I don't think that many other directors would be able to make it as good as good as Werner Herzog did. This is a kind of a film which gets more mysterious the more I think about it.

In 1560, hundreds of Spanish conquistadors leave their home in the Andes mountains in search of the fabled country of El Dorado. Running low on supplies, 40 men are ordered to scout ahead by a raft on a river. If they don't return in one week, they will be considered lost, and everyone else will return without them. However, their expedition proves to be more and more dangerous as the days go by.

As I said above, I was expecting something completely different. I was expecting a typical fast paced action/survival film. Instead, this movie had very few battle scenes. Most of the action showed a character hit by an arrow or die off-screen. We sometimes saw glimpses of Indians or heard gunfire in the distance, but every time a character was killed by the Indians, the enemy was always unseen. I feel like Herzog's reason for filming the action like this was to show how vulnerable the Spaniards were. It was almost like he was letting the audience know that they stood no chance against the Indians. This aspect also applies to other areas. For instance, after a group of people become untrusting of their leader Guzman, he is found mysteriously dead moments later. Another great scene is when one of the characters walks off into the jungle never to be seen again. However, the best use of this aspect involves the large group of people who waited for the 40 men to come back. Since they were never seen again in the film, it raised the possibility that they might be either struggling with the Indians or are already dead. I'd say that despite the exception of a single scene and a single line of dialogue, the action was perfect.

The character of Aguirre is hard to describe. The reason I say this is because it's hard for me to decide whether he was meant to be a protagonist, an anti-hero, or a villain. If I had to choose, I'd say that he falls somewhere in the middle of being an anti-hero and a villain. He seemed like a character who cared about nothing more other than having everything done the way he wants and discovering El Dorado at all costs no matter how much of his men are still alive. He didn't seem to care about the fate of his crew (except for maybe his daughter). If any of his men would try to defy him, he wouldn't hesitate to end their life. A great plot point that given us insight to how mysterious Aguirre's character is was how he wanted Ursua to die. After Ursua is sentenced to death, the leader of the group (Guzman) prevents him from dying (an action which clearly infuriates Aguirre). After Guzman's mysteriously killed off, however, there's nothing stopping Aguirre from executing the man. With that being said, I feel like Aguirre killed Guzman, because that way, he'd be able to kill Ursua without anyone stopping him. Guzman's death seemed convenient for Aguirre. Aguirre is definitely one of the more memorable movie characters I've seen in a while.

The visuals in this movie are also worth noting. They feel both awe-inspiring and unsettling. A great example of its visuals is the intro to the film. It does a great job introducing us to the environment the film takes place in. When the film starts off, we see hundreds of men and women marching down narrow paths in the mountains. The scope of this shot is amazing as it lets the audience know hoe insignificant the men are compared to the terrain they're walking across. It also gives you a feeling that the Spaniards and the Indians will encounter numerous hardships during their expedition. Another scene that has a similar feel to the intro is when we see the rafts floating down heavy rapids in the river. Both of these scenes show that Herzog isn't afraid of risking his crew's life just to make a film.

There are also a few haunting visual set pieces. One of these scenes occur near the end when the Spaniards see a ship up in the trees. All of them react differently to it. One person thinks that it's a hallucination while another person thinks that it's real. Aguirre tells his crew to bring the ship down so they can use it to sail to the Atlantic, but one member of Aguirre's crew immediately refuses to do so - this is one of the only times in the film where a character disobeys Aguirre. This is a disturbing scene as it shows us how weak the mental state is of the remaining crew members. Another memorable scene is the ending where monkeys overrun the raft. That scene shows how Aguirre has been conquered by nature.

In conclusion, I was pleasantly surprised with this film as it turned out to be completely different than how I imagined it would be. It's a brilliant film. It may not quite reach perfection, but it's still an outstanding and a unique film. The action scenes feel unsettling, Aguirre was a memorable villain, and the visuals evoked different moods from me. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for Herzog in the future.
½ May 21, 2017
Less the God of Wrath, more of The Lord of The River Flies. It's short, but an epic film of grand proportion and might.
January 3, 2017
One of the greatest mysterious masterpieces in film. Aguirre is a haunting vision about Spanish conquistador Pizarro discovering Peru. After separating into groups, one is taken over by Aguirre, who longs for the discovery of the ancient city El Dorado. Werner Herzog believes in the voodoo of location, meaning that he places his actors in convincing locations, such as filming in a forest 500 miles from civilization, opposed to a rain forest right outside of a major city. Like only a handful of great epic films like Apocalypse Now, and 2001, watching the movie we are constantly aware of how it was made. Kinski's performance is one of the greatest in cinema not in small part due to the real conflict on set. The images, music and performance of Kinski is why this film will probably remain transcendent. It largely inspired the equally visionary Apocalypse Now, and later The Tree of Life. Aguirre is in a small handful of films that transcend to the sense of wonder and mystery. It is not about characters, except for Aguirre, whose personality is completely realized through his movements and expressions. Another similarity with Apocalypse Now is how Aguirre attaches one great scene after another, from the striking first shot of the movie, with a long line of men snaking its way up the mountain slope, to the chilling, and ambiguous climax. Out of all the films Herzog as done, Aguirre might be his most expressive and meditative work.
November 26, 2016
Need a modern blockbuster to portray that wonderful madman!!!
October 19, 2016
This harsh film is also a fascinating show of power and it's effects.
September 10, 2016
Visually stunning with live colors and epic haunting atmosphere because of Werner Hertzog's cold touch and Klaus Kinski's frightening performance. A true masterpiece in cinema history.
August 26, 2016
The technical difficulties in making the movie only enhance the madness of the characters. It is one insane nightmare journey that leaves the viewer immediately connecting dots to great novels rather than other films. Like Moby Dick, Heart of Darkness, and Blood Meridian... a story of how the only thing more fearsome and threatening than nature is the darkness of the human heart.
July 21, 2016
Hilarious to watch with no sound in a night club.
½ June 25, 2016
Although beautifully shot and very atmospheric, the thing with the overdubbing lines just threw me off, because it took some of the realistic feeling away from me. So, in a way, despite all its grandeur, it felt a bit dated to me. By the end I wasn't much interested. Great story though, and very bold movie making!!
June 11, 2016
To be honest, my favourite part of this movie is Helena Rojo's face.
June 6, 2016
Aguirre, the Wrath of God looks great and it has a memorable ending, but everything else here is subpar with not that great acting, a dreadfully slow pace and too minimalist dialogue and story. I got its appeal, but to me its greatness never really came to fruition to me and it is such an overrated, immensely disappointing movie.
June 4, 2016
The best film of Werner Herzog (to date) is more current than once: a surreal, dreamlike fable of the fall of the European civilisation
April 24, 2016
Wonderful cinematography and compelling performances mark this tale of a doomed expedition searching for El Dorado. The further they get from the small enclave of Pissarro's version of "Spanish Civilization," the less constrained by the laws of their society they become. In some ways, this film reminds me of Lord of the Flies , in the break down of "law and order" to "law of the jungle" the further they go into the unknown. Masterful film.
April 17, 2016
Aguirre is one of the movies that I wouldn't reccomend anybody to see, even thought I can't say anything negative about it. The action is slow and kind of calm for a movie about dwelling slowly into madness. As a twist on a classic "Heart of Darkness" formula, Werner Herzog's movie is definitely good, but may be too "weird" for mainstream audience.