Ah! My Goddess - The Movie Reviews

• Apr 14, 2013

beautiful story of 2 beings trying to understand and love one another while jealous people try to sabotage their existence.

• Apr 06, 2013

the best anime in the world its really good you showed watch it

the best anime in the world its really good you showed watch it

• Mar 15, 2013

I feel nothing but shame for having enjoyed this movie.

I feel nothing but shame for having enjoyed this movie.

• Mar 03, 2013

worthy of the original series

worthy of the original series

• Feb 26, 2013

This just wasn't for me.

This just wasn't for me.

• Jun 23, 2012

I love the characters and the animation is awsome.

I love the characters and the animation is awsome.

• Jun 06, 2012

only 4.5 stars because its about true love!!!!! good movie though

only 4.5 stars because its about true love!!!!! good movie though

• Apr 17, 2012

Any fan of this show will love the movie

Any fan of this show will love the movie

• Oct 14, 2011

Love is fleeting, love is weak, and love is what can make a strong man weep. Love is infinite, love is forever, love is what makes us live on into eternity. For there is no greater feeling than the first time you fall in love or when you get married, when you have children who you love, nurture and help grow into good decent human beings of tomorrow. There is no greater feeling of sitting there with your significant other as an old man and woman and living out your days in happiness with the one that you truly love. Love is one of the most destructible and indestructible forces that we as humans can ever experiences; it is as much an enigma as it is a strange force of occurrence. It is something that cannot be explains in simple terms, yet it is the strongest and most over-powering emotion, it is the one feeling (outside of anger) that we have little to no control over and at times lose our self to it. It is the one thing above all else that can prevail over anything, or at least that is what I use to believe. Hiroaki G?da's beautiful and sumptuous big screen continuation/adaptation of the popular manga and 1993-1994 OVA "Oh! My Goddess"(changed to Ah! My Goddess in America to avoid any religious backfire) is nothing short of breathtaking. "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" is a stunning, absorbing, sweepingly romantic and all consuming tale of love, lost life and ultimately what makes us who we are and if it is possible to find true love in this bleak world. "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" picks up right where the OVA left off with Keiichi(Voiced by Rafael Antonio Oliver) and the goddess Belldandy (Ruby Marlowe),Urd( Melissa Williamson)and Skuld( Sherry Lynn) all trying to find common ground with each other(Keiichi in particular). All the while as Kei and Belldandy try and make their romance work admits the constant interference of the always "helpful" Urd and the annoyingly over-protective Skuld. The story of this film picks up in the third spring since Belldandy's arrival on Earth since Kei called the Goddess help line by mistake and wished for Belldandy to remain by his side forever. At first their love was slow going and innocent, it was not at all like the so-called "romance" of "Twilight" with its abuse metaphors; it is longing glances, its sullen attitude, its overly brooding and narcissistic story, and atmosphere. "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" is a sweeping, fantastical tale of love and life that is as energetic and humorous as it is visually sumptuous and enchanting. This film has so much life, so much love, and so much energy to it; it radiates with a brilliant glow and stunning visual artistry that only an anime film of this quality could achieve. This film delivers such an enormous and grand understanding of the trials and tribulations of love and life it takes such an honest and straightforward approach to how Belldandy and Kiiichi conduct themselves in their everyday fight in this crazy little thing we like to call life. "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" is a glowing and ever enchanting, honest to goodness, fantastical story of true love at its utmost purest levels. This film takes you on an adventure filled joyous love story that is so sweeping, magical and breathtaking that the moment that this film is over you want to experience it all over again from the very beginning. "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" is a delightful visual assault on the senses and the heart; it easily stands as a defining tribute to the love that two people(or in this case a man and a Goddess) can have between each other and how no matter what the obstacles love can conquer all. What I found most intriguing, and at the same, time most engaging about this film is how it manages to admits all the drama actually find a story and a pace of its own despite the flaws in its design. The lack of a focused narrative; and a plot that derails the film in certain, crucial parts when it should be soaring high this film in all its faults and mishaps, is a nice little bundle of joy that is worth the effort to sit through and revel in its beauty and grandeur, Instead of drowsing in it. Even though this film is far from perfect, or even great for that matter, "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" is one of the few big screen adaptations of a popular anime series that actually works. Beautiful, honest decelerations of love and commitment that so rarely gets tackled in such a serious yet playful way as in this film and some finely tuned and animated action sequences(if a little on the dull side at times) help make this film the enjoyable experience that it is. Voice acting in the last 12 years or so has seen a major increase in talented and versatile voice actors. Such as the great Crispin Freeman (Hellsing, Hellsing: Ultimate, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor), Troy Baker (Darker than Black, Vampire Knight, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood) and many others great and wonderful performers. The voice acting in "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" is, well... Pedestrian at best, the voice work from the English cast ranges from acceptable, to bland, to just plain terrible; Rafael Antonio Oliver gives the films weakest, and perhaps most lifeless performance as the noble and honorable hero of the story, Keiichi Morisato. While I will give Oliver credit where credit is, due he makes use of what little talent and emotion he displays in his performance serves as the catalyst to which ends up bringing down this story serious emotional impact and grand romantic atmosphere. Now Oliver does try his best, and in some scenes he manages to pull off some rather surprising (If not at times dull and flat) moments where his voice does ring true and give the character some moments of emotional depth and honesty. Those moments are few and too far apart to give his performance any real meaning or significance. His bland, dull, and at times annoyingly flat voice performance brings down a great character and makes him seem like an emotionless piece of animation without a soul; rather than the soulful and loving creature that Ki really is making the film seem cheesy and one dimensional in its perspective and flatting a great film. While Bridget Hoffman does a slightly better job than Oliver does, her voice work for the luminous (If overly naive) Belldandy is quite charming and affable in the way she captures the spirit, the joy, and the pure loving nature of the character. Much like Oliver, she is quite bland and has the emotional range of a soap opera actress. Hoffman attempts (and mind the word attempts) to try to infuse her character with some semblance of life and in the end achieves nothing more than a rather amateurish, if sometimes emotional performance. The rest of the cast including Sherry Lynn(Skuld), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn( Urd), Anne Sherman(Peorth), Chloe Thornton(Belldandy young) and David Lucas (Celestine) all turn in fine supporting performance in this alluring animated feature. "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" is a wondrous and bewitching experience, an animated film experience that not only touches the hearts of the viewer but also their minds. This is a film to experience for its awe-inspiring animation, wonderfully romantic story, and satisfying action; while this film never truly comes close to the heights of the more recent anime series that succeeded this film, it certainly holds its own as a film that not only should be experienced but also thoroughly enjoyed. "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" is a fantastical movie experience that leaves you in the end feeling satisfied as well as feeling a little warm and fuzzy all over.

• Mar 08, 2011

I love belldandy. The movie sounded sadder than it was though. I guess drama isn't ah my goddess"s strong suite which is a good thing. Morisato was pretty cool at the end.