Ai nu (Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ai nu (Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan) Reviews

September 23, 2015
So good! Lesbian Kung Fu revenge flick gold! :-)
½ February 19, 2013
Pretty good, I liked it, and it stands out among other films from the Shaw studios era, which certainly helps. I didn't like it quite as much as most though, for many fans consider it truly something special. A lot of really weird music cues that left me rather confused. The two female leads are great and the finale was much better than I thought I was in store for. So, pretty good but I'm going to stick with my Venom Mob-type movies more often than not.
Harlequin68
½ December 10, 2010
"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan" starts out with a young woman, Ai Nu, being kidnapped and delivered by Brigand Express to a brothel run by Lady Chun. Ai Nu is less than pleased with the circumstances, and even less so when she is pressed into service and repeatedly raped. So, what is a young woman supposed to do?

"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan" is a gloriously over-the-top movie mixing ribald kinkiness(there is a scary bit showing how gynecological exams might have been conducted in bygone days) with the odd bits of gratuitous violence. It is fun in a semi-serious way but it is too silly to have much of a politcal statement. And I definitely feel like I understand what one of Quentin Tarantino's inspirations might be...

(Originally reviewed in the blog section on August 15, 2005.)
½ July 9, 2010
what a movie! hard to believe it's 70's....really nice!
November 2, 2009
She shouldn't have kissed her.
½ September 2, 2009
A very unique Show Brothers film which boldly deals with some controversial issues (at least at the time the film was made) like Lesbianism, prostitution, and bloody vengeance. There are so many parts you can see that this film has so much influence on Tarantino's "Kill Bill" (its plot, the strong heroin, the battle between the two women in snow, etc.). What's to be regretted about this film is that unfortunately those novel settings and themes are not deepened enough and are just no more than an attraction for audiences who want some new things. Still, it has satisfaction and catharsis you expect for a vengeance film, and it's still fresh to see a heroin like this who descend to prostitute for vengeance against those men who insulted her.
½ June 11, 2009
Beautiful, stylish, sensual, and of course violent. I really enjoyed this and would recommend it even to people who aren't already fans of Asian action cinema (aka: kung fu flicks) I just wish it didn't go quite so over-the-top with the cartoon violence at the end. And it had some distracting painful '70s music cues.
January 9, 2009
I was expecting... I don't know, something completel Z grade but this is actually quite good faire for its genre. Its got lesbian prostitute vengeance seeking crazy women.
½ November 9, 2008
Cool revenge movie, some nudity, some kick ass rip your heart out kung fu, and all done in 1972.
September 5, 2008
When i rented this i wasn't expecting much, maybe that's why i was completely blown away by this. Burn ur copies of KILL BILL, this my friends is the real deal. Women take the lead in this insane ride thru history. A Classic film that british beat master Depth Charge has stolen many SFX and images from.
August 14, 2008
Karate! Action! Ultra-violence! Revenge! Lesbians! Naked Chinese girls! This Shaw Brothers is fucking awesome!
July 3, 2008
Oh my god! This is, like, the perfect movie ever!! If you think that Kill Bill had style and class, it is just a jumped up lego building next to the Taj Mahal of classical kung fu madness, revenge and unbridled sexuality. This movie, made in 1972 - my god I was just 7 then - was years, no decades ahead of its time. It is a testament to the original director, writer, cast and crew that they were on the upper mast of a ship heading towards the new world of cinema and saw the infinite possibilities lying with in the dormant medium. And at the same time, it would be tantamount to lying to overlook the fact that in the last 30 odd years Hollywood has been treading water, left in the wake of that crew's ship.

The sets are beautiful, the acting; just cheesy enough to be spot on; the plot twists are at once predictable and yet so in your face as to be satisfying. What a bonus to have sadistic laughter erupt onscreen at just the same moment as the mirthless chuckle emerged from my own gut watching this titan!! To say that this was an great movie would be like saying that Moby Dick was a long story; the ultimate understatement.

Look about you now. A computer screen, lights, your hands; the room your in. Imagine a new meaning to it all, insight, wit, fulfillment (of the cinematic variety at least) could be yours, simply by watching this gem of a movie. Almost on par with Hidden Tiger, Crouching Dragon this is a movie to be cherished by young and old alike. Find it, buy it, rent it, steal it, borrow it: just do your consciousness a favor and watch it - from beginning to end!!

Did I say thumbs up yet? I'd see it again, almost any time.

Plot synopsis:

Who needs that kind of thing in the face of pure genius!! This movie is like a barrel of monkeys, each one with a different face, gesture, sound; but all coming from and ultimately going to the same happy hunting grounds.

Really!

To tell the plot line would just belittle the ultimate insight and profound joy (of a purely sadistic nature) that lies with in the heart of this amazing creature. However, in brief: girl is abused, fakes acceptance, kills people, people try to kill her; her weakness is exposed when she has the upper hand - no gyrations just death! - and she also dies. A fine ending to a fine movie. The only way it could have been better, is if the straggler of a detective had met his merry end as well! But in a sense, perhaps he does, if one cares to reflect on such things. Which is again the glory of this movie. No need for reflection afterwards, all is spelled out for the viewer, loose ends neatly tied in a bow.

Stop reading this and rent it already!!
June 22, 2008
Awesome revenge flick! The perfect vehicle for Tarantino to remake.
June 21, 2008
Ahh, the best that pulp can get! Female lesbian prostitute kungfu masters take revenge on their customers and each other -- just, it's just awesome in every way. Interestingly enough, it's not just the girl-on-girl action that propels this film, but a surprising complexity in the affections and betrayals between the two mains that gives the movie it's longevity over the rest of the time's sexploitation. In my top 5 older martial arts flicks, if not at number one.
June 13, 2008
I've seen a bunch of Shaw Bros. and this one is my favorite. Super awesome flick, and not just because it's two hot girls making out.
June 8, 2008
i just love these classic femme fatale type movies.
½ May 23, 2008
Confessions of a chinese courtesan (1968), un film evenement a sa sortie car les moeurs de l'epoque interdisaient aux femmes d'avoir un amant et les relations homosexuelles etaient condamnees. Pour cette raison ce film attira un public considerable qui accepta l'homosexualite de ce couple lesbien. Mais l'attractivite de ce film n'est pas la relation lesbienne du duo assure par Lily Ho (Ai Nu) et Betty Ting Pei (Lady Chun) mais l'intrigue qui repose sur la complexite des affections des personnages qui se renversent au cours de l'histoire et le sentiment de vengeance qui anime Ai Nu.