A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A.I. Artificial Intelligence Reviews

April 30, 2016
A dystopian world that suffers the effect of climate change and where androids supplies some human functions gives us the context of a futurist Pinocchion story.
April 17, 2016
It had problems, but It is fascinating and I do have some respect for this film. I'm not a big fan of the childish, overly-sappy ending like many people, but knowing that Stanley Kubrick actually came up with it, for some reason, sounds kind of uplifting.
March 13, 2016
While the film has good ideas and a good premise, the execution is rather poor and it never knows when to stop. The ending is beyond atrocious.
½ March 2, 2016
There are only a couple of positive things I can say about A.I. because it was a real letdown. First of all the film looked good. While the style of this futuristic world was inconsistent, it still looked unique and was captured well by Spielberg and his crew. Also the special effects were done remarkably well. The other positive is that the film has a good amount of sentiment in it, so it's hard to avoid getting at least somewhat choked up at one time or another. The big problem with this sentimentality is that it is extremely forced. The movie is manipulative, and doesn't rely on real character moments. Instead it just prolongs painful scenes enough to basically rip the tears from your eyes. I can sometimes take forced emotion if it's in a good story, but I don't think A.I. has a good story. What drives me nuts, is that every single human being in this movie acts like an idiot. There are seemingly an infinite number of flaws in the programming of David, his parents seem completely ill-equipped to handle even the slightest difficulty as if they've never had any experience raising a child, and then Professor Hobby at the end has done nothing to plan for how he will handle David's arrival. It's so stupid that, when the aliens are telling David how much they value humans, I start to question why they would even care about these morons. And, yes, that ending is just the stupid icing on the stupid cake of this movie. It took so long to get there that I was livid when the film kept dragging out with this nonsense. This might be my least favorite Spielberg film ever (aside from some movie about a Crystal Skull that I wish didn't exist.)
February 22, 2016
Once you are in a cute family movie with a weird robot that tries to be a real boy (Pinocchio likey), then... Boom! A zombie robot! Then... kaboom! A weird sci-fi movie that just gets more and more weird.
February 19, 2016
Amazing and remarkable.
February 9, 2016
Its not particularly "bad" its just that its a bit overlong and can get kind of slow. Still its a thought provoking movie thats worth a watch. I think it has emotionally resonant ideas in it but I also do feel like with someone like Spielberg behind the wheel, it could've been much much more. It's a good sci fi movie that definitely is original but it's not a masterpiece by any means and the concept has been handled better by other films for sure.
January 31, 2016
This largely underrated film was a surprise to me when I first saw it. It moved me in a way with elements of a great classic film. I don't know if this is because of the Kubrick influence.

The film is based on the 1969 short story "Super-Toys Last All Summer Long" by Brian Aldiss. The project was in development since the early 1970s by Kubrick, who handed it over to Spielberg decades later.

This is unnatural territory for Spielberg, as it is not exactly Hollywood standard audience fodder. It is a tremendously moving study of a robot-boy's natural tendency to feel a mother's love and be real. Essentially this is a futuristic retelling of the "Pinocchio" story.

The finale is awe-inspiring as it catapults us 2,000 years into the future. The film could have ended perfectly without this last segment, but this is a work of art, not a mass consumption Hollywood blockbuster targeted towards thick-skulled viewers.

The film is not for everyone. It is long at 2.5 hours, but will reward those who pay attention and focus on its beauty during this time.
January 30, 2016
A little dark, and is a fantastic movie, since darkness = drama and drama = interesting.
January 20, 2016
It would have been lovely if this had been remembered as the fascinating tale of a robotic boy programmed with undying love a human mother in place of her real son who is locked in a seemingly terminal coma. Instead it is known as the controversial book adaptation which Spielberg finished in Kubrick's place after Kubrick's many attempts to get the project off the ground and his eventual death. As a Spielberg film, this is one of his most artistic and emotionally connected works, only falling short in the hypothetical what-could-have-been-with-Kubrick comparison, which is rather unfair. The story interestingly moves from the setting of a human mother having trouble accepting a robotic son to their bonding more from the mother's loneliness than actual love. Events really begins however, when the human son returns and the robot is rejected and abandoned in the woods, desperate to make himself a real boy so as to regain his mother's love. Many twists and turns follow in which we are given small snippets of a world where robots have become common but also hated for their replacing of humanity. This world is unfortunately painted in individual settings that don't seem to mold to create a coherent sense of reality. From the comfortable home life, to a hillbilly-esk show where robots are tortured, to a vast brothel city where robots do the pleasing, it seems hard to really get a grasp of what this world's attitudes really are and therefore the actual sense of peril. This is ultimately the films biggest weakness. Conceptually it is full of fantastic ideas about the meaning of humanity, but fails to portray a believable reality. It's strength lies in the portrayal of it's lead however and surely a contender for the best child performance in a film of all time. David's journey as a robot boy is demonstrated with a wonderfully personal and believable touch. A.I. ultimately therefore, is a unique and fascinating journey with enough concept to keep a viewer hooked, but how rewarded you are by the final product may come down to how you feel the central narrative of a story like this "should" end: The point most people disagreed on. You certainly should watch and find out none-the-less though.
½ January 7, 2016
Perhaps Spielberg's most underrated work to date, A.I. takes us on an emotionally rich journey to discover the meaning of humanity. Haley Joel Osment also bonds with a male gigolo after coping with a dead child psychologist. Not bad!
January 5, 2016
It was a good film that depicts the nature of an A.I robot capable of gaining human emotions, and making his dreams come to life through a fairy tale.
December 29, 2015
Epically derivative.
December 22, 2015
Just watched this for the 2nd time after seeing it when it originally came it - stands up well and still a good story
½ December 20, 2015
I liked this. Spielberg achieved something similar to what he did with ET, i.e. pull on the heartstrings. It may be a bit over-sentimental, but it does portray a reality that's not so hard to believe. It seems entirely possible that what happens in this film could be a reality in the not so distant future.

The acting and cinematography is hard to fault and it for sure make you think how good AI could be, could we get an attachment to synths.

Sci-fi...got to love it!
December 12, 2015
"A.I." is Steven Spielberg's sci-fi take on the classic story of Pinnochio. The story revolves around a "special" mechanical robot that looks exactly like a boy, except he isn't. He is specially programmed to love with a special code, and when a woman tells him the code, he holds on to this person until the end of times.

I'll start out by saying that I didn't hate this movie, but it felt too sappy and out there that I felt that this basic retelling of an already great movie was unnecessary. The effects were great, the acting was great, but I felt the plot lacked something throughout. Perhaps it was that this story felt too heartfelt.

Overall, "A.I." isn't Spielberg's worst effort, but I find this film to be riding the bottom of the barrel when it comes to his filmography. That isn't saying much his Spielberg doesn't make too many bad movies, but I must say if I had to call at least three of his films "bad", this movie certainly would make the cut. 5.6/10
½ December 4, 2015
Love the ending as it fast forwards to the further future
½ December 2, 2015
Wanted to see it for a long time and was a little disappointed. It was decent but was expecting much more.
½ December 1, 2015
A flawed but astonishing film. You will never forget it.
½ November 30, 2015
The movie is decent,nugh said