Ain't In It For My Health: A Film About Levon Helm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ain't In It For My Health: A Film About Levon Helm Reviews

February 17, 2015
I find these personal looks at rock legends to be very interesting but this one left me a little wanting. The historical role that Helm plays in delivering on some of the Band's most popular songs is highlighted here but a lot of filming is done of Helm before his death doing day to day activities with little insight into his musical genius. It is quite telling that it doesn't appear that Helm particularly wanted to talk to the film makers and conversations with others were required to flesh out missing dialogue.
½ October 3, 2014
I loved this documentary. Levon Helm was a talented, soulful and complicated man. Didn't know a lot about Levon Helm before I watched it, but you get the sense from watching this film that he was a really great guy, a genuine person, who chose to live where he wanted to live, in upstate New York, and lived by his own rules. People saw that in him, and gravitated to him - that's the point of showing clips of Billy Bob Thornton enjoying hanging out with him. He smiled a lot, talked a lot, knew a lot about music and about life and stayed connected to it. That's the point of the movie, I think. To show that connection that he had. I'm glad I got a chance to meet Levon Helm in his later years through this documentary.
August 3, 2014
One of the many greats. In the music fabric.
½ June 9, 2014
one of the few true southern giants. beautiful
April 29, 2014
Levon Helm is my favorite drummer, so I thought I would take a look at this film. As a fan of The Band and The Last Waltz, I found this film to be quite interesting. I knew there was bitterness but I never knew what happened. This film gives you some insight into that but more about what he became and his comeback. Its a great little movie.
April 24, 2014
Very interesting documentary about an amazing musician. It mostly focuses on the time after the Dirt Farmer album is released. Unfortunately, it only scratches the surface of the personality and life of Helm.
February 11, 2014
This is a top notch music doc. It not only spans the career of Levon Helm, but it also hangs with him during the end of his life during a period as he made his first studio album in 25 years, which also took home a grammy (Dirt Farmer). Such a tribute to one of our greatest american musicians. Although it's bittersweet to watch him age with both a little grace and a little distain. Keeping this review to a minimum for lack of trying to oversell the simple, tenderness of the film. If your a lover of Levon, or The Band or just Americana music in general, this is a great watch. A redemption song...
January 27, 2014
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE and why this is so important to you.
STREAMER ALERT: Now on Netflix
December 21, 2013
I liked it!!! Kind of sad!
December 3, 2013
Hell of a man and musician. One of the best music documentaries I've seen.
September 28, 2013
Can't to watch this.
September 28, 2013
Levon Helm is the mother fucking truth.
September 26, 2013
This is a great tribute to a truly seminal voice and spirit in rock and roll and American music who invented a lot of the drumming riffs we hear today. Wish there were more performances but still great.
½ August 31, 2013
I had higher hopes for this documentary about the late great Levon Helm.
April 23, 2013
With all my love and respect to Levon Helm and The Band, I have to say that Ain't in it for My Health was a poorly made film on something that could be extremely interesting. The documentary wasn't informative or engaging. The bits about Levon's medical examinations were disturbing and unnecessary. The quality of the video itself seemed amateur. I left the theater disappointed.
April 19, 2013
Saw it, loved it. As a big Ramble fan, I'd seen Levon perform many times in the last few years and knew about the cancer of course, but to see what he was going through while still performing was touching. Also, Levon's famous story-telling is on display in the film. Really liked the part where Levon and Larry finish the "Hank" song. As Larry said last weekend in Woodstock, "Now there is a song written by Hank Williams, Levon Helm an me!"