Air Doll (Kūki ningyō) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Air Doll (Kūki ningyō) Reviews

June 28, 2015
Everything Koreeda does is awesome!!!
June 14, 2015
This movie can be appreciated by those who have depth and have experienced the concepts portrayed. The story goes beyond it's title name and depiction of a doll coming to life, it is so much more than that, so real and honest. A wonderful piece that reminds me why I prefer Asian and European films.
½ May 31, 2015
It is frustrating to see an interesting premise be made into such an overlong film that fails because of its thematic ambition and lack of focus, as it tries to be about a good too many things at the same time and doesn't know how to fully explore them into a consistent thesis.
May 26, 2015
A still-paced story about a sex doll come to life, meant to reflect on loneliness and isolation.
½ January 20, 2015
This art house movie is very cleverly filmed and s the story of a sex toy coming to life and experiencing things which we take for granted.
December 30, 2014
I thought it was a bit creepy at first, but then that's just the initial set up to a fairly moving story. Quite funny too
December 18, 2014
I become a fan of Hirokazu Koreeda after watching his films "Still Walking", "Nobody Knows", "After Life", "I Wish".

"Air Doll" may be a fantasy but it tackles a very serious subject - human loneliness. One of the movie quotes that I found heartbreaking is "It seems life is constructed in a way that no one can fulfill it alone."

Sex doll for me is a perfect metaphor of loneliness. And Koreeda had played it very well. The Korean actress who played the doll was very convincing.
November 20, 2014
I knew it was going to be 50 shades of cray but it was actually quite tame. I really enjoyed this film which had a deeper metaphorical meaning of human existence. Proper sad and made me think about life. Why are we here? To fuck one another? How many times will you have to clean out your vagina in your life time? To Love? To get in a relationship we can fully control? Control? To Consume? To die? It's a great film.
April 28, 2014
Delightful performance by Bae Doo Na did not save the shortcomings of this film
½ December 25, 2013
Ho?kosladkż p?ķb?h o obivlé nafukovacķ pann?, kterį se snaķ pochopit lidskż ivot.
½ November 30, 2013
pretty and poetic movie but ... very disturbing !!!
½ May 16, 2013
the sad truth about how a sex doll is finding love.
½ May 14, 2013
lot of signs. one of the best Hirokazu Koreeda movie.
½ April 25, 2013
Not bad, but quite long and really special.
½ April 24, 2013
The story give an expression of female life.
February 3, 2013
cinematography is beautiful, a deep and meaningful movie
½ January 26, 2013
From the director of Nobody Knows (2004) comes this strange and yet beautiful film. Hirokazu Koreeda is an incredibly visual storyteller, setting the film with sparse dialogue and instead focusing on recurrent images coupled with some voice over elements of repeated narration. This is one of the few instances where I think the voice over 'narration' works very well, it suits the subjectmatter perfectly. The story is strange, quirky, and at times funny, but the film is also quite long and somewhat bizarre. The film received mixed reviews, with a rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes of 43%. The premise of this film is fascinating, a blow up sex doll gains consciousness and the film explores her growth of a 'heart'. This film is fascinating and not straight forward, instead focusing of the journey of Nozomi the blow up doll played superbly by Doona Bae (Cloud Atlas, 2012 & The Host, 2006). Doona Bae's performance is a joy to watch as she is this doll-like childish creature experiencing the world for the first time, and yet at others conveys an amazing sense of melancholy and emptiness. The story also includes a number of vignettes and fragments of other characters perhaps Koreeda's attempt to display other stories and social elements, particularly focusing on Japanese women. This film is a beautifully shot poignant exploration into the cultural and social aspects of gender roles of women in modern day Japan. The use of fantasy semi-scifi elements give the film a somewhat dream like in quality like Alice in Wonderland and is reminiscent of French director Michel Gondry's work. In particular in The Science of Sleep (2006) and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind (2004). Overall a strange yet compelling film, with great performances and gorgeous imagery and cinematography.
½ November 18, 2012
Interesting movie here that presents a sex doll who comes to life and then starts wondering about the world around her, and then starts questioning herself, and then the people who use her for what she is. Totally interesting concept (It's actually a fucked up version of A.I. if you wanna think hard). It presented some very interesting ideas (and I mean totally interesting) but it gets bogged down by too many characters which are not at all needed. Otherwise an interesting film.
November 2, 2012
True. The emptiness inside of us has existed since a long time ago. Blinded for making money, going for fame, searching for partners, friendship... yet, our soul is still empty, likely to be forsaken, and things just repeat by themselves, unstoppably and uncontrollably. Life is just full of despair, waiting for the end of everything.