Akira - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Akira Reviews

January 26, 2016
Akira is a film that starts on a wide scope and steadily grows into an even grander scale of existential philosophy, civilization, and the artistic reforms of creative thinking. This film demands the attention of the audience and challenges their values in social, political, and philosophical views. Iconic and unforgettable.
January 16, 2016
While needlessly convoluted and thematically bankrupt, Akira is aggressively imaginative with detailed and atmospheric animation.
January 15, 2016
Considered the greatest Anime movie ever made....every time I watch it I try to love it...but I just can't. Although it doesn't take away from the fact that it is a well-made enough film that had a huge impact when it was released in 1988.
½ January 12, 2016
Creative, well animated, and fast paced action gives way to a plodding second half with a mindfuck of an ending that just doesn't fulfill.
January 5, 2016
This movie is incredibly advanced on terms of animation and story depth for its time!
December 30, 2015
A true animation achievement, that brought anime, to North America. A true classic.
December 26, 2015
A brilliant animated film with fine use of color and animation.
November 29, 2015
A landmark film that opened up the future of Anime to a wider audience outside of Japan like never before. Mesmerizing visuals, political messages, auditory musical bliss, and a story the likes of which blended multiple genres into one fantastical journey into a future not yet realised, makes Akira one of the classic quintessential animes of all time.
½ November 20, 2015
As beautifully crafted and hand-drawn, yet notably less family friendly than a given Studio Ghibli classic, Akira is a powerful tale of ultra-violent science fiction that isn't easily forgotten.
½ November 8, 2015
Mind-boggling and action-packed, Akira truly set the standard for Japanese animation
½ November 2, 2015
Even when lasers aren't flying and bikes aren't speeding, Akira captivates with sheer beauty.
½ October 15, 2015
I wonder if that new Nolan movie is really the Akira Trilogy!!
October 6, 2015
The first half I feel is a shining example of greatness that Anime can achieve. With fluid animation quality, heavy atmosphere, and a story that captures the brutality of an uncaring cyberpunk future mixed with some teen angst.

The second half kind of ruins it all with incomprehensible psychic children men things on Zardoz levels of abstract visuals and dialog that basically boils down to Kaenada and Tetsuo screaming each other's names.

Really not my kind of thing.

However that first half of the movie is pure gold.
½ September 25, 2015
78%
Saw this on 25/9/15
It's refreshing to see an extremely violent, gory anime film with nudity and profanity, but I only wish that it would have been far far better had the story been at least half as good as the animation. Akira is often distracting and disgusting because of it's animation, but on all other levels, such as the city views, action sequences and all, Akira is well animated.
½ September 23, 2015
Akira is pure eye candy, from its beautifully crafted city and its incredibly fluid cell shaded animation. The city of Neo Tokyo is also an engaging setting which gives you the feeling that years of abuse have plagued it's denizens for years. Which is why I found myself so disappointed in the main story itself. Character development and motivations seem either weak or non existent, and the dialogue either came off as hokey or downright grating (I realize there might be a cultural difference, but there's only so many times I can hear a character yell "TETSUOOOOO" before I have to tell myself I don't enjoy this script). I found myself engaged by the start of the movie and by the strange and thought provoking ending, however the middle hour and a half of the film just did not engage me. I really wanted to like this film a bit more than I did.
September 18, 2015
Akira is a great example of a modern type of animation which raises the expectations for future films to come. Strong characters, outstanding visuals and effects, I think it may be one of the best films that sketch cyberpunk at its finest. It may be an animated film, but this doesn't mean it's made for children, au contraire, it's quite intense and gore.
September 14, 2015
Gorgeously animated if at times excessively violent, it's like a cross between Blade Runner, Mad Max and 2001 A Space Odyssey.
September 8, 2015
It's a neat yet surprisingly innovative little story about how power corrupted and ultimately ended a friendship. Though that isn't to say that there wasn't a whole lot of stuff cut out from the original manga
September 5, 2015
Praised by critics from around the world and held high as "the" landmark film of Japanese animation. Katsuhiro Otomo's 1988 animated classic "Akira" is nothing short of a masterpiece. Featuring cuttingedge cel-animation that will take your breath away and an emotionally driven music score composed mainly of traditional Japanese instruments, this film is a must watch for not only fans of Japanese anime, but anyone who can appreciate a well constructed film. Based on the manga of the same name, which was written and hand drawn with over 2,000 pages by Otomo himself. The story takes place in 2019AD, 31 years after WWIII, which was ignited by a mysterious explosion that set off a chain of events leading up to the war. The setting is Tokyo (now known as Neo-Tokyo) a dystopian wasteland teetering on the scales between order and chaos. Riots break out, drugs are available around every corner, and biker gangs run wild in the streets. Yeah, this film is not kid friendly at all. The story centers around two childhood friends, Kaneda and Tetsuo, now members of a biker gang lead by Kaneda, that stumble across a top-secret military operation that has been hidden for over three decades while out fighting a rival gang. A secret buried in a vault under the rumble of Tokyo. A secret to unlocks the powers of the universe. A secret known only as ..."Akira". I can't really say too much else without spoiling it for you, but it's a surreal mindtrip from start to finish involving a complex action packed story that may (and probably will) require multiple viewings. It teaches a valuable lesson about friendship, greed, corruption and the devastating consequences of absolute power when handled carelessly. Everything about this anime is beautifully detailed, from the glittering of the city lights, to the wind blowing through the trees, from the heaps of garbage burning on the streets, to the teargas rounds flying through the air. Even the sound effects are amazing. The city traffic honking as biker gangs race down the streets, the shouting protesters, the gunfire and explosions are equally impressive as the music score itself. The American voice acting redub, though very good, can be a little over the top at times. But in my opinion it sounds better in Japanese because they recorded the voice acting first, then synced the animation of the lip movements up with the words. That alone should tell you how much heart and soul went into making this anime. It does differ quite a bit from the manga, but trying to fit over 2,000 pages full of art and dialogue into a two hour movie would prove to be an impossible task. So the anime connects the beginning with the end and leaves out a lot of the middle. But both are well crafted works of art and both can easily stand for themselves. I could go on all day talking about the film, so I'll wrap it up by saying that out of the 350+ plus films I own, this is the one I recommend the most. And sadly, not too many people I've talked to have even heard of it or are even willing to give it a chance. But it really is their loss because it's not just a really good anime from 1988, it truly is a landmark film that has stood the test of time and pushed the limits of what an animation is capable of. It's treasure for both sight and sound that you will never forget.
½ August 31, 2015
A story so complex and facinating with hyper action so intense. It's amazing!