Akira - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Akira Reviews

August 12, 2016
l know the movie was about cyberpunk gangs in late 1980s anime
whatever their kaneda and tetsuo had gotten better than naruto and sasuke have no rest of anime.
August 9, 2016
1940's Fantasia Is My Tenth Favorite Film Of All Time.
August 5, 2016
As far as anime goes. This is the peak. This is the "go to" for first time anime fans. Fabulous animation and a deep rooted storyline. Very cool film.
July 6, 2016
Back then in the early 2000s, I enjoyed it. But nowadays I find it as overrated as Crash.
It's just so damn annoying seeing it's face everywhere.
It's not the masterpiece everyone thinks it is.
July 3, 2016
I watched this because I heard it was a classic, but afterwards I have no idea how it got that title. So much is unexplained: Why are there grey midget psychic people? Why does that red motorcycle only have like two minutes of screen time? Why is every. single. character such a piece of shit? Seriously there's not a single damn character I could root for. EVERYBODY is a bad guy. And the way the conflict is resolved is some microchip turns into a god and vaporizes a crazy guy and then just disappears, and then the credits roll? This movie sucks. Would not recommend.
June 30, 2016
Amazingly powerful to the animation and performances, even though occasionally out-of-sync with each other in the midst of losing melodramatic steam, while structured by the same culturally perspective taste in storytelling; sums up into an entertaining picture with dystopian sci-fi mixed conventions. However at the unappealing side of it that threatened its level isn't pretty by its violent contents when animated under the aforementioned genre to a scale of disaster in addition that are deemed disturbing. Worth watching though, but the unpleasant contents are bitter to swallow when watching it. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
Film C.
June 25, 2016
I loved and enjoyed the manga. Looks iconic and inpressing.
½ June 21, 2016
Il est évident qu'Akira est un film novateur, de par ses thèmes particulièrement bien développés pour l'époque et son animation vraiment très jolie. En effet, le film d'Otomo Katsuhiro est splendide, particulièrement efficace dans son dernier acte et inspirateur pour grand nombre de blockbusters scifi US aujourd'hui. Mais Akira est aussi un film éreintant, à la violence parfois gratuite et complaisante, dont on pourrait ponctionner 15 minutes dans le premier acte sans que la cohérence en soit compromise. Les dialogues oscillent entre le très bon et le très mauvais et certains passages sont assez incompréhensibles pour les non-initiés à l'oeuvre originelle. Ceci étant dit, Akira reste un film à voir, ne serait-ce que pour son importance cinématographique.
June 10, 2016
Amazing anime movie, representing the decadence of the government on society and underground experiments.
½ June 1, 2016
A wonderful combination of action, science fiction, thriller, and fantasy that leads a crazy but not convoluted film. The top-notch animation creates Neo-Tokyo's amazing backdrop, as well as the many chilling sequences that forever are embedded into your memory after viewing this classic. It's a recurring influence in many modern action blockbusters of today, and it's not hard to see why. Gradually you watch in horror as you see the development of human and telekinetic psychology and the manipulation of both within the constructs of its strange and volatile world.
½ May 25, 2016
Visually interesting and strange, but no answers to gaping plot holes throughout the movie and you're left having to make up your own ending.
May 24, 2016
A high concept cyberpunk film with mind-blowing animation, it demands to be watched more than once to be fully comprehended.
April 30, 2016
A must watch movie, one of the few brilliant examples of visualy stunning anime and cyberpunk genre
½ April 28, 2016
Akira gives what you would expect from an anime feature film, but in the most amazing and thoughtful way possible
April 19, 2016
An awesome example for how to make a Japanese anime! It doesn't depend on the beautiful visuals so much that the creators loose focus on the story, along with the characters, because it works so damn well in the way which it was presented!
If Hollywood ever considers making a live action adaptation of this, then give it to the right people! Filmakers whom really respect the source material! Not a bunch of egotistical morons who don't know what the H they are doing!
½ April 16, 2016
A decent enough movie, until it falls apart toward the end.
March 31, 2016
A friend told me that this is a required anime film. And it should be for everybody!! As for the Gore, story and all the rest of the best of the best of this film is in this film! This is the first animated film that brought to America with big eyes. I absolutely love this film! This is not a children's film, please be at mind with that. Greatest film all time absolutely.

Grade
A perfect 10
½ March 22, 2016
This film is complicated, fun, energetic, and creative. Akira's story and direction is marvellous, even though the film is a tad too long. I love that it uses violence, gore, and at times aggressiveness to its best use. The characters are not very memorable, but the events happening around them is what intrigues me the most. A must watch for any anime, or any film lovers.
March 10, 2016
The teddy bear is a thing of nightmares.
February 20, 2016
Spectacular animation packed with violence, gore, with an impressive intense & fluid action.