Alabama Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alabama Moon Reviews

½ October 14, 2011
Exceptional story. Good to see John Goodman as a protagonist instead of the antagonist.
October 10, 2011
Good story. Very enjoyable. Not really remarkable though.
August 26, 2011
Really loved thus moving for the story and outdoor skills.
½ August 21, 2011
Some pretty blatant falsehoods, but still a pleasant story.
August 13, 2011
Another very realistic movie. I like movies that can be true to life. See this movie. It's touching.
August 13, 2011
great movie!! on the level of stand by me..just a great movie about boy's growing up accepting death in their lives and moving on..well worth buying or renting especially if you have a young son or brother ages 11-14
August 4, 2011
I never even knew they made a movie of this book until i found it on Netflix. I actually really liked the book so i also really enjoyed this movie.
LWOODS04
August 2, 2011
Cast: John Goodman, Jimmy Bennett, Clint Howard, Gabriel Basso, Gary Grubbs, Uriah Shelton, J.D. Evermore, Annalise Basso

Director: Tim McCanlies

Summary: Escaping from reform school and returning to the forest where he was raised by his survivalist father, 11-year-old Moon Blake and two pals dodge the law and live off the land. But soon Moon begins to question his prejudices against the outside world.

My Thoughts: "A great adventure movie for the kids. They rooted for Moon, Kit, and Hal all through the movie. Although the film feels like a clean cut Disney flick, the movie does have a bit more of an intense story line. The movie shows how some of the choices parents make effect their children. There was laughter and tears. In the end, a good movie for the whole family."
August 1, 2011
This is a fantastic family movie for upper elementary and middle school students.
½ July 31, 2011
Loved this movie. Reminded me abit of stand by me and outsiders. a boy lives in the wilderness with his dad. His dad dies and than he's on his own. Good story.
July 30, 2011
good bit dragged out at times
July 22, 2011
Despite having several problems, particularly with pacing, Alabama Moon holds up very well. It may just be my love for the state of Alabama and seeing all the beautiful Alabama scenery, but something about this film really rang home for me. I highly recommend watching it.
xtremeandy
June 14, 2011
This movie like almost any movie is not without its flaws but what it lacks it makes it up with heart. This movie has that Disney feel or even nickelodeon but it seems that it wasn't and maybe that is why after the apparent flaws this movie has. It has to make up with a lot of heart but still doesn't quite get there. But don't get me wrong this movie lets itself be watched without much hassle and it does its purpose and entertains in a softer manner that what the story is really all about. A couple of characters or maybe even the actor's seems out of place or wrongfully casted and not very well developed. But the kids and John Goodman really make up for everything else. What can I say? It could have been so much better and bring such a serious theme to a higher level of movie.

The story is pretty straightforward a kid living alone with his environmentalist father has to learn to go back to civilization once his dad dies of an infection of the leg. The kid goes into a jail for children were he makes his very first friends , bust out with them , fight the creepy sergeant who's always after him and learn to let go of the burden his late father had inflected upon him.

After the unexpected death of his survivalist father, an eleven year old boy raised in the Alabama wilderness must learn how to make a home in the modern world.

Eleven-year-old Moon Blake has spent most of his life hiding out in the forests of Alabama with his father, an anti-government radical who clings to conspiracy theories and trusts no one. Moon's life suddenly changes when the land is sold and his father dies. Knowing only what he learned from his father, Moon decides to follow his last instructions; make your way to Alaska where "people could still make a living off trapping." In the path of civilization, Moon quickly lands himself in a reform school where he meets the mean-spirited Constable Sanders and learns what friendship is all about. Determined to get to Alaska, he and his new friends escape from the school outwitting Constable Sanders each step of the way. "Alabama Moon" is a classic kid's film (based on the novel by Watt Key), complete with adventure and survival that most kids only dream about.
½ April 28, 2011
Screened Moon at Chalmette Cinemas ( will open 5/6)Today and it was a very moving film. I wish the entire family would come and support this fine Louisiana made movie about childhood fears and being alone. Jimmie Bennett is terrific and so is John Goodman. Highly recommended!
April 1, 2011
Poignant, touching adventure story. Jimmy Bennett (Moon Blake) puts in an amazing performance!
March 27, 2011
Up & Down & Sometimes Directionless But Quite Good In All. Pulls You Emotionally Many Different Directions & Feels All A Bit Too Wrapped Up In A Nice Bundle Of Lovelyness.
December 29, 2010
Was pleased with the happy ending.