Albatross - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Albatross Reviews

February 19, 2017
Quality acting by the three female leads. Does a nice job representing teenager struggles.
½ January 15, 2017
Not the worst step along my quest to see everything that Felicity Jones has been in.
April 2, 2016
This is the only film (on my mind) that I actively hate. To me, it seemed like an attempt to make something people would consider 'important' and it failed terribly. I found each character irritating, especially Emilia who was clearly meant to be 'rebellious' but came off as whiny, self absorbed, cruel and unlikable. I found myself rooting against her. Honestly, I find that this film lacks so much in every department. This wasn't bad in an entertaining way, it was just bad.
May 25, 2015
This drama was one of those that you feel the characters. The two leading ladies did a great job at acting this movie out. This is particularly a story that some people can relate to. This movie kept me moving until the end and it did not disappoint at all. Why do people don't pay attention to this kind of movies????? As that being said and for this movie being one hidden gem, I give "Albatross" a C.
February 13, 2015
Not bad at all, once you unwrap the plot from the tourist board's commercial for the Isle of Man. The acting is credible, although the plotting is a bit loose. The human situations here are credible and the resolution is positive.
February 5, 2015
WOW....WOW....WOW...WOW...WOW....SO SO SO BRILLIANT.....I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH, ITS GOT A GREAT CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSESS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....I THINK THAT Sebastian Koch, felicity jones, Julia Ormond, Jessica brown Findlay, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this drama/art house/international/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....

The film's premise revolves around a teenage aspiring writer entering the lives of a dysfunctional family living in the south coast of England. "Albatross" is a metaphor used to describe a constant and inescapable burden.

The film was shot entirely on the Isle of Man with the support of the Island's government. It is MacCormick's feature film debut, having previously made his name in television. Also making her debut was screenwriter Tamzin Rafn. Rafn based the script on her own experiences as a rebellious teenager.

Albatross premiered at the Edinburgh International Film Festival in June 2011. It was released in the United Kingdom on 14 October 2011. While the film has gathered mixed reviews, Brown Findlay has received near-universal praise for her performance.

Albatross is BAFTA-nominated director Niall MacCormick's debut feature film and the first screenplay by Tamzin Rafn. According to Rafn, the script was optioned by producer Marc Samuelson and CinemaNX about three weeks after her agent sent it out. It was then sent out to directors, some of whom Rafn met. She said MacCormick was one of her favourites and was "really glad" when the script was offered to him.

Writing

Tamzin Rafn wrote the screenplay of Albatross on weekends over the course of three months while working full-time during the weekdays.

The film's recurring theme, one's desire to escape from something holding her back, is derived from Rafn's personal experiences. Rafn grew up in the quiet town of Worthing on the south coast of England and spent her teenage years wanting to leave. According to her, "pushing the boundaries came as a result of that being an actuality in my teens. It just so turns out that being a nightmare comes naturally to me. And writing Emilia was like writing a version of myself but adding characteristics to make it filmic and that meant giving her some tragedy and heart to explain her behaviour."

Rafn credited Diablo Cody as inspiration for her to write about her own experiences. Cody began her foray into writing by penning a memoir about her career as a stripper. She later won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for the film Juno. Rafn said, "What I did know about though was naughty girls in seaside towns. I knew that because I'd been one and I always loved movies about people who misbehaved... So I sat down and I thought about everything I loved in movies. That list ran to: naughty girls, seaside towns, writers and scandalous behaviour. I then watched every movie that fitted that for me - The Wonder Boys, The Squid and the Whale, Wish You Were Here, The Door in the Floor, Thirteen."

man this is such a really sad movie 2 watch, it is such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, it is a really sad movie 2 watch, but it is such brilliant movie, its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie but it is such a great movie 2 watch......
January 29, 2015
A more thoughtful teenage angst film, but it's also about control and trying to discover oneself, for all three of the main characters.
½ January 17, 2015
Very enjoyable British indie film :) Loved it !
December 6, 2014
Jessica Brown Findlay has been a curiosity as of late. I just wonder how much range this young starlet has. She is just magic on screen.

In the indie hit from 2011, Findlay plays Emelia, a rebellious teen and aspiring novelist. She meets mousy Beth (Felicity Jones) and strikes up a friendship. Emelia starts taking creative writing lessons from Beth's novelist-father (Sebastian Koch) and they begin a tryst.

This is also a coming of age story but with so many delicious layers. Each character has several motives and it is fascinating.

I loved the contrast between Beth and Emelia and how the girls grew from each other. I liked the mystery around Emelia and how her plight is so much about self identity.

The main players are all really good. This is a really tight and fascinating little movie. Kind of wished it was longer. (4 out of 5) So Says the Soothsayer.
September 19, 2014
One of the best British movies I've seen in a long, long time.
August 20, 2014
Sometimes I watch a film and find myself pleasantly surprised to like it far more than I had expected to. There are also occasions where I end up hating a film far more than I ever imagined. Albatross is such a film. A dramedy about a lower-class troubled yet brilliant spirit who becomes a maid at a family-owned hotel and changes all their lives. And she "changes their lives" by starting an affair with the father and almost destroying the life of the teenage daughter. The main character, played b Jessica Brown Findlay, is insufferable and terrible mess of a character. The film clearly admires her, but she's every self-indulgent writing cliche all put into one character. She's rude, but kind. She's a party-girl, but she's cultured. She's young, but wise beyond her years. She's shallow, but she's a reader of great literature. The film clearly can't pick an identity for her, and yet she's the main focus of the film. And she's writing a novel, which I never once found plausible. She's a terrible person, and yet the film tells us that we should aspire to be more like her. It's a flaw that could sink any film. Yet Albatross helps by being also unfunny and kind of mean-spirited. None of the other characters get any adequate development or story arcs. Ultimately the film has no insight or profundity at all. Albatross is a tone-deaf, horrifying example of a film.
August 18, 2014
May 18, 2014
Lame. I don't see how this is a comedy at all, what with the middle aged man sleeping with his daughter's 17-yr old friend and ripping up his family...Also, Felicity Jones is criminally under-used in this film. Brown-Findlay in the lead role has potential, but this isn't the vehicle for it. Also, why is Julia Ormond trying to look young? She looks very odd...MISS
April 24, 2014
Starts light as a coming of age movie mixed with a bit of right side/wrong side of the tracks drama that blends into a more serious second half set in a lovely little fishing town. I liked it better than the ratings suggested I might.
½ March 21, 2014
ok coming of age drama
February 3, 2014
2 stars!

This was a bit of a weird one to be honest.
December 14, 2013
Predictable and standard fare, but the characters are appealing and the actors who play them are attractive, so I enjoyed watching this. There is also some gorgeous footage of what, per the credits, must the the Isle of Man. I really want to visit there now! So this also has the benefit of providing good armchair travel. If you're in the mood for a rather standard yet solidly-done coming-of-age story, give this s try.
October 13, 2013
Albatross is a gentle, sensitive tale written by Tazmin Rafn and directed by Niall MacCormick about a social misfit who imposes herself on a family in desperate need of a wake up call. The film is blessed with a very fine cast (especially the blossoming of young actress Jessica Brown Findlay - remembered for her impressive role as Lady Sybil in 'Downton Abbey') and for the breathtaking scenery of the Isle of Man. There is comedy here to be sure but here are other lessons about family and friendship and relationships that are importantly placed in perspective. This really is Jessica Brown Findlay's film all the way, she owns every scene she is in, she steals the show all the way through. Albatross won't exactly change your life but you aren't going to hate it either, and it will sure brighten up your day.
Harlequin68
½ September 5, 2013
"Albatross" starts with a kiss between Emilia Conan Doyle(Jessica Brown Findlay) and Jake(Harry Treadaway) before the firecrackers. That explains why Emilia gets to ride in a police car on the way to her first day of work as a maid at a guesthouse where Beth(Felicity Jones) is tending the front desk while studying, so her dad(Sebastian Koch) can pretend he is writing upstairs while actually masturbating. So, it is a surprise to Beth's mother(Julia Ormond) that Emilia gets invited round to dinner, to which she brings a bottle of wine that she flashed her ID for.

"Albatross" starts promisingly enough but then stalls in a sea of quirkiness. That's not to mention going the old tired route of a disruptive force introduced to a family going nowhere and liberating everybody. And with predictable results. Plus stereotypes. The writing angle might have had a chance if played correctly which it isn't as it is thrown to the curbside in the most desultory manner imaginable. Instead, it seems all the characters are suffering under the weight of the past, especially Beth who has to deal with her parents. However, the actors do a good job trying to breathe life into such cliches while very much out of their usual comfort zones. Nice scenery, though.
½ June 22, 2013