Albatross - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Albatross Reviews

½ November 6, 2012
Decent movie. A little slow. Nice ending...
October 15, 2012
Simple, obvious plot but enjoyable performances.
October 10, 2012
Excellent movie free spirited girl meets strictly raised girl and the fun begins, all while the free spirited girl has an affair with girls father, my review sucks the movie is outstanding, a must see. 5 stars 10-1-12
½ October 4, 2012
Everyone is special and shouldn't subestimate themselves. I think this was the main idea in the movie. I liked this movie a lot. And the girls were lovely and gave great performances.
October 3, 2012
Summary- Seventeen year old girl, wears a conservative, repressed wardrobe which is indicative of her personality and demeanor. Said teen, meets a 'rebel without a clue,' provocative dressing, teen girl friend. Said teen girl, much to the chagrin of her mother, and pleasure of her father, adopts a slutty wardrobe. The "earth shattering ending" involves said teen wearing an "I Put Out" tee-shirt, with a little, female, firefighter, beneath that banner. Sad.
September 27, 2012
Brown-Findlay gives a tremendous performance in an otherwise gentle coming of age drama, in fact the whole cast does well but it's the strength of the screenplay, or lack of it, is the films downfall.
½ September 14, 2012
I never heard of this and I've sort of seen it before, it kind of reminds me of Tamara Drewe and films like that. Its like a coming of age movie mixed with a bit of Fawlty Towers. So I really like it.
September 12, 2012
Great cast but a weak story
August 28, 2012
A good little coming-of-age drama about a teenage girl with dreams of becoming a writer and the effect she has on the family of a seaside hotel when she is employed as a cleaner.
½ August 18, 2012
rudely twisted and charming
August 17, 2012
Jessica Brown-Findlay, hello!
½ July 23, 2012
Nice story, already heard a thousand times, about growing up with or without a family. Actually the story remembers me a lot of Juno... but luckily in this case we don't have a pregnant teenager! Really great as always the grandpa, Peter Vaughan, and I quite appreciated the main character actress, Jessica Brown-Findlay, I hope to see her again soon!
July 19, 2012
Pas de vraies faiblesses dans cette etude de moeurs sur le passage a l'age adulte, mais un manque de prises nettes qui ne permet pas non plus a l'oeuvre de se demarquer franchement de la multitude ayant parcouru le meme sujet. Vaudra surement plus tard pour ses deux jeunes interpretes au fort temperemment, Jessica Brown Findlay et Felicity Jones.
June 16, 2012
Cast: Felicity Jones, Jessica Brown-Findlay, Sebastian Koch, Julia Ormond, Harry Treadaway, Josef Altin

Director: Niall MacCormick

Summary: The studious life of Oxford-bound Beth is turned upside down when would-be novelist Emelia takes a job at the seaside hotel owned by Beth's family. But things get dicey when the free-spirited Emelia begins a fling with Beth's feckless father.

My Thoughts: "I enjoyed the characters more then I did the film itself, if that makes sense. The problem I had was the relationship that unfolds between Emeilia and Johnathan. I just didn't like it nor did I really think it was necessary. Being a daddy's girl myself, I thought Beth and her father's relationship was sweet. Her mother was a, well I don't wanna use such vulgar words considering I have been warned. But you must know what I was gonig to say. *cough bitch* : } Emeilia is my favorite character in the movie because I seem to lean towards the more tortured souls. Although she is smart and has a talent for writing, she is stuck. Stuck with no real education, since she was kicked out of school, and stuck taking care of her grandparents and with dead end jobs. So you want to root for her and for things to get better for her as well. I liked Beth as well, and the two together had a nice balanced friendship. Great acting and characters with an OK story-line makes this movie worth seeing at least once."
June 8, 2012
No tiene una gran historia pero tiene encanto.
May 31, 2012
Mystic Pizza would definitely rate above this,even.
½ May 30, 2012
If it had been a different cast, I probably wouldn't have liked this as much. These actors are perfect for these roles and I can't help but love how they all look on the screen here. The writing is mostly pretty average stuff but it works very well and anyone who hasn't seen a film like this before (think American Beauty meets Juno) then this will be a nice surprise. Otherwise, it is worth a look and should not disappoint entirely.
May 20, 2012
Much better film than the critics gave it credit for. Likeable, happy and sad. Good Sunday evening viewing
May 19, 2012
No soy el target audience para una movie de como alcanzan la madurez dos chicas adolescentes pero es entretenida y esta el contraste en la personalidad de la nerdilla y la rebelde pirujioux pero con corazon de oro