Albino Alligator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

DDDDDUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLL>
October 7, 2014
another supermarket DVD 2.99 DVD combo pack purchase
September 15, 2014
Mediocre plot that fails to keep watchers on the edge of their seats with an ending that lets you down.
September 6, 2014
Excellent character driven film.
November 2, 2013
Tolerated the story up to an hour but not able to finish the story. It is so sentimental and off-tone.
October 6, 2013
I didn't get what the hype was with this. It was alright but it didn't knock my socks off or anything.
October 5, 2013
Decent chamber piece and directorial debut from Kevin Spacey. Dillon is the balls as the gang leader, good support from Sinise, Fitchner, Mortensen, M. Emmet Walsh and a brilliant Dunaway. The flick itself is well above average, but the ending was a major let down.
August 18, 2013
Quite forgettable. Kevin Spacey should have got his hands on a better script.
June 19, 2013
I keep stumbling across this flick, and I keep watching it. Really, it'd be 3 stars, but I can't help watching it, 3 or 4 times now, so I have no choice but to make it at least 4.
April 5, 2013
Good cast. So so movie.
January 3, 2013
Kevin Spacey is obviously an amazing acting talent, but this film proves that he's almost as good a director. This film was satisfying from beginning to end, and it just got more interesting as it went along. The story is fairly simple, but it was powerfully performed by a hugely talented cast. Dillon, Sinise, and Dunaway all give stand-out performances, but really, the whole cast is top-notch. Mantegna wasn't given as much material to work with, but he still had the only truly funny scene in a generally serious movie, and yet the humor didn't seem out of place.
½ August 18, 2012
claustrophobic set but with something too much static. Kevin Spacey could have done something better, but this was his first director movie. Viggo Mortensen and Matt Dillon take the whole rating
½ July 27, 2012
The movie sounds interesting to me. Experience the divine nature of the movie.
½ May 3, 2012
Kevin Spacey has directed exactly two films, this is the first, and the only one you need to watch. William Fichtner is about the most underrated actor working today, and he's brilliant in this film. Also, Viggo Mortensen made this film before he was Aragorn, or a born again rock star, so he's also very very good.
½ April 15, 2012
Kevin Spacey directed this, but it's not enough to recommend it. It's one of those films that's not bad, it's just not very good. This sort of thing has been done much better elsewhere, and there is nothing here that lingers in the memory afterward. A bit of a disappointment, considering the talent involved.
½ April 6, 2012
Faye Dunaway was nominated for a Razzie (Worst Supporting Actress) for her performance in this movie. It's a pity she didn't win. This movie had the chance to be more clever, even to be more comic. But Kevin Spacey plays it safe. Safe is good, but not good enough.
½ April 1, 2012
Kevin has a unique way behind the camera..a unique view of things/life.
blkbomb
March 22, 2012
Law: Albo gator... sacrifice for a gain.

"Deliberate sacrifice for deliberate gain."

Everything about Albino Alligator seemed intriguing on paper. It's got a formidable cast with Dillon, Sinise, Fichtner, and Dunaway. It has Kevin Spacey as the director, and despite having a story that's been done a million times, the story always seems like a good idea. So I was sort of surprised to see such distain across the board for the film. Still, everything was too intriguing to pass up, and I'm happy that I at least gave the movie a shot because in the end, I didn't hate it.

Now Albino Alligator is nothing special. I just want to get that out there right now. If you never see it, it wouldn't be a big deal. The story is something you've seen before and will see again. It is the international robbery story, where a group of criminals robbery is botched and they are left cornered with hostages, and the police outside. So how are they going to get away? That's the whole movie. The criminals are cornered in a basement bar, and must come up with a way to get out of there with their freedom and with their lives.

To me, it isn't surprising at all the Spacey directed this. Look at a lot of films that he has starred in. In many of them, there's a lot of dialogue and free range among the actors. So it isn't surprising at all, that this film is mostly dialogue, where the actors are given a lot of free reign. The only problem with that is that the actors aren't on top form. I like Fichtner and Sinise, but neither was that good. I did enjoy Dillon's performance though. I think he did a pretty good job overall.

The sad thing comes in that Albino Alligator should have been better. It's too predictable to be considered better than average. You can see the plot development with Mortensen's character coming the moment you lay eyes on him. As for the actual outcome, I liked the idea, but not so much the execution.

So this is a slightly disappointing movie just because of all the talent that is involved and because it could have been so much more. But I got a certain amount of enjoyment out of it. While it may not be exceptional filmmaking, it's interesting filmmaking, and sometimes interesting is all you need.