Alexander - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alexander Reviews

½ December 29, 2015
Long and slow but interesting
½ December 23, 2015
Uncomfortable, excruciating, and ultimately unworthy of the stature of its main character, Alexander is a disaster of epic proportions. Poorly written, miscast, bloated and really just boring, the film is salvaged by its rendering of battle scenes and costume and set design. Collin Farrell is perhaps a bit too unwieldy in the title role, and the film focuses too much on Alexander's sexual ambiguities and not enough on his statecraft and military genius, appearing more like a bad soap than a historical epic.
½ December 22, 2015
Ridiculous and uncomfortable to watch. Doesn't have the weight that it's subject matter demands, and merely feels lost in its time. Never does it wow and often does it repulse, with nearly every major player being miscast, though Colin Farrell does a competent job in the title role.
½ November 24, 2015
Pathetic in every way.
November 20, 2015
truly dumb movie. jolie has a Russian accent. acting is cheesy. makeup is unbelievable. who's idea was this?
November 12, 2015
I saw the most ridiculously long version and it felt like a third of a season of game of throne- only worse.
October 14, 2015
Thematic exploration delving into the intrinsic connections between passion, obsession, determination, and madness transcend the film's narrative stumbles.
October 12, 2015
Angelina Joile totally looked like a mother figure....very bad job Oliver Stone.
October 8, 2015
A brilliant, fascinating & haunting portrait of the young Macedonian King who conquered 90% of the known world before his death at the age of 32. A fantastic and near flawless script combined with Oliver Stones' expert direction make this one of the very best films of the 21st century so far. A-
½ October 3, 2015
What a piece of shit. 3 and a half hours of shit film. the first battle was tight but then all it had was bumming, a lot of bumming. I called it the greek broke back mountain. bummers bumming all through the film. it was unnecessarily long. really was spread out too thin, i don't mind bumming but not all the time. alexander was brad pitt (shit).
½ October 1, 2015
This movie was abysmal with atrociously slow pacing and terrible acting.
August 26, 2015
Considering the talent involved, the level of amateurish ineptitude is staggering.
August 6, 2015
How can so much time and effort and money go into such a bad loooooong arse trip into boredom.
½ July 5, 2015
Greece done again but in the new Hollywood mould of gang America. This time by a bunch of Jackeens, Dublin ireland, and with the most unGreek ever! A knobble kneed Mick with the face of an Asutralian pickpocket. What a croc! The idea of doing themes movies by gang affiliation is a disaster. HEY Wallyhood have you ever heard of Greek people? How about make a movie about the Greeks but use Greek people instead of Jocks, The 300, or Micks!
½ June 9, 2015
At nearly 3 hours, Alexander is a painful, unbearable experience replete with over-the-top acting, boring conversations, and lots and lots and LOTS of scenes where characters yell and cry at other characters. This never ends. It is literally ENDLESS.

It's a terrible movie, but it may be one of the best worst movies ever made. Despite the overacting and the length, the sheer spectacle of it is very well-done. I try to review movies on Rotten Tomatoes like I'm a real critic, though, and so I truly can't recommend a movie this egregious. Oliver Stone has made much better movies in his day. Let's all just pretend that he never made this one. It's a cold, repulsive turkey.
May 31, 2015
Why did it fail I don't care but it's a movie about my favourite historical character so I liked the movie
½ May 3, 2015
This dull, emotionless, contrived and conceited mess of a film has the makings of a high school play gone wrong with shredded direction, hammy performances (especially Colin Farrell and Angelina Jolie, who gives her worst performance out of her whole career and I love her), sparkly cinematography that's somewhat passable and boring tone.
½ April 9, 2015
Single-handedly the most disappointing movie ever made.
March 30, 2015
This is an interesting film to talk about for a number of reasons. Part of it is quite honestly, because after viewing it I was not sure whether or not I had seen something good or bad.

This film came in the wake of several other historical epics. Kick-started by the success of "GLADIATOR", itself paved the way for by "BRAVEHEART", and released amidst other such films. Particularly within that year alone Wolfgang Petersen's "TROY", Antoine Fuqua's "KING ARTHUR", and Ridley Scott's "KINGDOM OF HEAVEN". And regardless of whatever one may think of it's overall quality, it should be noted that the film is probably the most historically accurate of them for what it's worth. Which from a certain perspective can be seen as both its greatest strength and it's greatest weakness. In all the ground the film tries to cover concerning his life it could be said that the films reach exceeds its grasp.

Seeking to cover his early childhood, to his schooling, to his ascension to the throne, to his conquests, to the political strife among his ranks, to all f his romantic relationship, and into his death. However I do think there are some truly great scenes here. Such as Alexander's rousing speech to his men before the Battle of Guagamela and Philip's talk to his son about the Gods and Titans. This especially came to be a problem for those who came into it for the action, as there are really only two battle sequences. One towards the beginning, and the other towards the end. Given all the other story it had to cover, it's not hard to understand why but can be seen as disappointing to some.

In recent years the swords and sandals epic is all but dead again as it were before the all to brief early 2000's revival. This film's failure playing a big part in that. But we have been hearing of similar project. Already begun is an intended trilogy of films about Genghis Khan directed by Sergei Bodrov and Vin Diesel keeps talking up an intended and from the sounds of it quite ambitious trilogy about Hannial the Conqueror he's hoping to make. Both of which are rather unprecedented in this genre. Whilst film series' are very commonplace with Hollywood it's never been done in the Historical Epic/Swords-and-sandals genre. The one exception I can think of being 1954's "DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS", the sequel to "THE ROBE". Though several attempts to figure out a sequel to "GLADIATOR" it never happened, and if you choose to count it the book sequel to "DANCES WITH WOLVES" entitled "THE HOLY ROAD" has been discussed, but that's about it as far as I'm aware of. And it all really depends on how big the story is. The two most popular of the modern historical epics, "BRAVEHEART" and "GLADIATOR", are structured in such a way that they feel like they each fit perfectly in one film.
½ March 9, 2015
Horrible, horrible, horrible. Proves that Farrell is a rubbish leading actor and Oliver Stone a rubbish director.