Alfie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alfie Reviews

½ November 6, 2016
Alfie (Jude Law) es un joven seductor que se dedica a disfrutar la vida y de los placeres sin mayores compromisos, ni ataduras. Prácticamente no tiene códigos y todas caen ante sus encantos. Pero poco a poco, Alfie irá descubriendo que ese camino lo ha dejado solo. Con Marisa Tomei como Julie, Omar Epps como Marlon, Susan Sarandon como Liz y Sienna Miller como Nikki.
½ June 23, 2016
A decent movie with some laughs and relatable scenes, but it's only aimed towards a certain audience which consists of single people between the ages of 20-35. It also drags a bit and never really goes anywhere. They introduce characters that we start to like, but then get rid of the characters before we can feel for them. It's not my type of movie, but the acting is decent enough and makes up for the lost plot.
June 2, 2016
Was immediately disappointed that it was no longer London in the Swinging Sixties. I was looking forward though to Jude Law until he mostly had to talk to camera instead of act. So, disappointing. I'll stay with the original. Why re-make movies u less you can make them better?
½ April 8, 2016
Although not quite as good as the original, it is not a bad remake of the Michael Caine film, with Jude Law being his quietly charming self, and a great cast of ladies. I always liked the theme that those who play the relationship game just for the physical sexual side, not only end up hurting a lot of people, but ultimately end up hurting themselves worst of all. All to soon, age catches up to them, and they end up alone and lonely, with no one to share the rest of their lives' joys and sorrows.
April 4, 2016
I did not see it all
December 17, 2015
Great soundtrack, out of all the women Nia Long gets to shine the most but I just don't really care about Alfie's problems, or him.
October 24, 2015
Classic womanizer: dumping women for the slightest imperfection, ranging from hairy arms, to emotional issues, to commitment orientation and complain that you're alone and suffering from restlessness. There is no such thing as perfection anyway: it's nothing but a relative standard or ideal projected onto women by a patriarchal media and it renders both women and men miserable. And I think, ultimately that is exactly what Alfie is, and to quote the song, "all about:" the absolute futility of seeking so called perfection, and readjusting your energy to meeting someone compatible and comfortable instead.
½ October 14, 2015
A truly horrible remake of a fun movie. Why in Hollywood they remake and update material to cross a generational gap or sell some kind of politics
by making these horrendous remakes, I don't know.
August 6, 2015
Jude Law does a fine job in this entertaining little remake.
June 11, 2015
I've had this movie sitting on my shelf for 5 years and I decided to watch it tonight.
I am baffled at the studio trying to market this film as a romantic comedy and perhaps that's why it didn't do so well? The first half of the movie was a bore and then towards the end it wanted to create depth for the characters when I'd spent such a large portion of the movie not having any emotional investment in them. So that was a bit confusing. The movie warmed up when it was sadly too late to enjoy it much. If you love Jude Law, i'd pass on this one and watch The Talented Mr. Ripley or Repo Men.
May 22, 2015
Have not seen the original Alfie but I like Jude Law being chosen as Alfie!!
April 23, 2015
A single man gets into trouble when he begins having feelings for one or more of his sexual conquests. Surprisingly bland story and performances of a single swinger who finds that his adventures are emotionally empty. Unfortunately, so is this film.
½ February 11, 2015
Typicall ladies man-struggling with himself-kind-of-comedie, but Law make it work somehow.
February 7, 2015
Having seen both the original Alfie from 1966 and the remake from 2004
I can safely say that the original Alfie from 1966 is far better than this remake in 2004......

WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
September 16, 2014
El re-make de "Alfie" supera al original gracias a una dosis menor de drama y a una ejecución ágil sin perder su punto. Y Jude Law no es Michael Caine pero se acerca peligrosamente. Yo no me lo esperaba...
June 24, 2014
Not as good as the original, but it has its moments.

The original Alfie was a visceral experience. You felt infuriated at his behaviour, yet laughed at it occasionally (at him, not with him). There was an edginess to it, as if it was going out of its way to annoy and offend you. Plus you had the superb performance of Michael Caine.

This version is a lot less annoying, which is bad. Alfie's actions almost seem...normal and commonplace. His actions are certainly not being glorified, but they seem a lot less extreme.

The new version does have its charms though. Jude Law is suitably suave and charming in the lead role. There is a swagger and big city sophistication to it. The soundtrack (mostly composed and performed by Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart) is great, and works very well with the movie.

So, not as good as the original, but reasonably entertaining nonetheless.
½ March 18, 2014
"Alfie" is a pretty good character study with good performances, some nice drama and a very strong soundtrack that's quite enjoyable. Jude Law does a good job playing the titular character, someone you end up liking not necessarily because he's a good guy, but because he feels like a genuine person, someone with some real flaws but someone that you can sympathize with because he's charismatic and isn't one dimensional. Just when you think you've got this guy figured out, he reveals another facet of his personality and when he breaks hearts, you understand that hey, this is just the kind of guy he is. When he himself gets hurt, you see that even someone who passes himself off as a total womanizer who doesn't want to get tied down at all might be just saying that to protect himself. There are a couple of scenes where the drama of the movie does become a bit too theatrical. The scenes with Nia Long for example almost always end up with the worst possible scenario presenting itself and those feel manufactured.

The movie doesn't really have an over-arching plot to speak of. There are several relationships developed, characters are introduced and have a couple of scenes that interact with our main character and people fall in and out of love as the film unfolds. This is not the kind of movie where you get big defining moments, more like you get a few memorable scenes with good dialogue without anything "epic" ever really happening. The reason you want to see the movie is for the characters, the actors and the dialogue. You have to be ready to examine yourself and relate to the protagonist to enjoy the movie and feel like you've gained something once it's all over. Some of the other selling points are Marisa Tomei, Jane Krakowski and Sienna Miller (who has a small but very sexy role). If you want some light drama, some interesting relationships and want to see actors delivering while listening to great songs by Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart and John Powell pick up "Alfie" and give it a shot. (Fullscreen Dvd, April 13, 2013)
March 16, 2014
I have it on dvd so i see it soon.
January 26, 2014
Jude Law made it watchable.
December 31, 2013
It's basically a movie about how hard it is to be attractive.