Alice in den Städten (Alice in the Cities) Reviews

• Dec 22, 2020

me parece maravillosa la forma que tiene Wim Wenders de concluir sus historias

me parece maravillosa la forma que tiene Wim Wenders de concluir sus historias

• Mar 12, 2018

manages to be a psychological study and yet not to be to heavy. Fun yet introspective.

• Aug 23, 2016

What's most remarkable about Alice in the Cities is the way it so vividly--even in grainy 16mm black & white--captures the mid 1970s. Wim Wenders borrows more from French New Wave than his more aggressively rule-demolishing (or at least redefining) contemporaries in New German Cinema by taking the camera to the streets and rendering a relatively simple story in a way that is transcendent. It's a slow, meandering film full of long takes of urban streets and life, and even 40 years later the filmmaking is powerful enough to feel incredibly fresh. Alice in the Cities is a weird little story. For one, what kind of mother abandons her 9 year old daughter with a bummed out 30-something? It's basically insane and improbable and yet that doesn't detract from the film's beautiful insights into how we connect (or in the case of the film's protagonist, disconnect) with the modern world and the people we grow close to, whether by choice or providence. It's a road movie (and a forebear to Wenders' masterpiece Paris, Texas, which this film really made me want to revisit), and a weird little adventure viewed through Wim Wender's brilliant brain and cinematographer Robby Muller's brilliant eye.

• Jul 25, 2016

8.0/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2xg

8.0/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2xg

• Jul 02, 2016

A very watchable road movie with great cinematography (contrasting the US and Germany) and interesting characters. It doesn't reach high, but succeeds in telling a good tale.

• Apr 04, 2016

The symbolism did not appeal.

The symbolism did not appeal.

• Aug 28, 2015

An early Wim Wenders that began his penchant for picturesque cinematography, international flavor, and earnest storytelling. Starring Wenders himself as the film's curious protagonist, the film almost acts as his travelogue, documenting sights in both America and Europe, while also telling a whimsical (albeit simple) story. The film will often go long stretches of scenery chewing, but it's fine as it works as a meditation, and the dialogue is rich enough to bring us back into the narrative when appropriate. Probably the defining film for the German filmmaker's early years.

• Feb 22, 2015

Whatever Wim Wenders wanted to mean with this movie, I did not understand. But, as it often happens with Wim Wenders art - to me, at least - this movie is coming slowly, by and by, in following days. As I was watching it, I confess, it was boring. The incredibly bad quality black and white did not help, for sure. I don't know if the film needs a restoration, or if it was made so, but it looks like one century old. However, I did not forget it. As days goes by, the memory of it is more and more clear, and the subtetlies of it slowly crawl to my soul and understanding. I believe it needs - and deserves - at least a second watch.

• May 25, 2014

I have seen two or three Wenders films earlier and they are all top notch. This is a story about a German guy that is in America to write a book of some sort. the problem is - he is just taking pictures with a polaroid camera He needs to return to Germany and that's when he meet Alice. The story turns into an natural adventure and it's beautifully shot. A bit sad, but at the same time uplifting. Cosy and easy, quite playful. It also feel very personal. Cool that the tram-like things here are the same as the ones in his later film "Pina", at least I'm pretty sure of it. 8 out of 10 elephants in red Volkswagens.

• Dec 30, 2013

An absolutely delightful movie. Heartwarming yet poignant, witty.

An absolutely delightful movie. Heartwarming yet poignant, witty.