Alice, Sweet Alice (Communion) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alice, Sweet Alice (Communion) Reviews

March 15, 2017
Not your typical slasher. It follows more mystery thriller conventions than anything else, fit with a deliberately slow-pace, eerie atmosphere, and great performances all around. A hidden gem in the genre.
½ January 5, 2017
Reasonable old school slasher.
December 31, 2016
Wow. The eery mask and yellow raincoat imagery will forever be etched in my mind now. Apart from some hilariously overacted scenes, this is a very well made taut thriller. I was on the edge of my seat most of the movie, and I especially like how the director Alfred Sole (who also wrote the book?) leaves alot of the guessing to the viewer. Most horror directors will show everything so there's no questions in the end, but he deliberately misleads the audience so the "twist" at the end is shocking. It was very interesting approach to horror that I'm not used to seeing.
My only criticism is the acting from the aunt Annie and even the mother at times is a bit too much. They could've toned it down. It felt like the director's idea of "scary" was over the top screaming and hysterics. Also, the killer's "reveal" comes across a little scooby-doo ish, but it fit the movie I suppose.
One of the weirdest things I've seen in a horror movie that has nothing to do with the murder storyline was the landlord (who is more of a supporting background character). He's one of the most disgusting characters I've ever seen portrayed on screen, yet all he does is lounge around like a slob with his cats and creepily watch his female neighbors.
½ December 20, 2016
Enjoyable trashy horror film that in many ways reminded me of an Italian gallo film. Sweet Little Alice, who is actually played by 19-year old Paula Sheppard but looks about 12, may or may not be the masked yellow rain slicker killer who's murdered several folks including her little sister, played by Brooke Shields in her film debut. The film does have some effectively suspenseful scenes as well as some shockingly violent moments as well. There is also an effective score by Stephen Lawrence, but the film does have a rather slow page and the story seems to meander a bit much. Still, this film is certainly worth checking out for genre fans, but and was better than I'd expected.
½ December 18, 2016
um... that family has problems. watching this movie now makes it seem super cheesy, haha, almost funny. but the concept is very scary. kids are just scary in general.
December 12, 2016
Taunt and creepy little thriller that is almost a slasher flick but not quite. Well-directed and original, definitely worth a watch by fans of 70s horror.
August 29, 2016
One of the creepiest slasher movies ever made! The excellent atmosphere and score make this a true classic.
August 20, 2016
Yes, yes, yes!!! what a sweet girl. I absolutely love this flick, the score also adds to the creep factor. Catholic church beware!!! Sugar and spice are suppose to be what makes little girls nice...this one must have had sewage, with a twist of the devil..such a great flick. The landlord, Mr Alfonso, is a very uncomfortable character to watch as well . with all the blinders on no one sees what you think you see. Twisted turns are delicious!
½ July 21, 2016
The film's dark gothic tone sets a mood of sheer dread that's immediately effective and disturbing.
½ May 2, 2016
In Alice Sweet Alice, the director wants you to believe that the crazy little girl named Alice is a killer. After all, the killer wears her mask and her clothes and even has an item that should've been on the dead body. But then...there's a big twist-one that is interesting, but doesn't completely add up. And like most horror films, not knowing the killer's motivation can sometimes be more satisfying, which would probably be best for this film.
April 4, 2016
One of the lost gems of 70s horror...In
my opinion one of the films that affiliate a strongly Italian giallo atmosphere...!
½ March 27, 2016
It's alright. The acting is among the worst I've ever seen, particularly from their crazy landlord. It's never that scary (despite the creepy mask) and seems strangely unrealistic in its presentation of grief.
½ February 18, 2016
I didn't have high hopes for this, as this era of horrors is generally pretty weak. This wasn't too bad though, the performance of the girl playing Alice was particularly impressive. This is more of a mystery than a horror by today's standards though.
½ January 24, 2016
Forgotten masterpiece of 70's horror. Remembered only for the first roll of a young Brooke Shields, who plays the sister of the title character.
January 22, 2016
I don't get the hype with this movie
½ January 19, 2016
Odd little movie. Pretty giallo-like.
½ January 15, 2016
Brooke Sheilds marks her film debut here
December 28, 2015
Loved it: Religion as the monster and kind of like a Mario Bava movie.
November 24, 2015
Good old 70's thriller with recognizable atmosphere of horror.
October 20, 2015
Horrendously dated, and quite frustrating to sit through, Alice, Sweet Alice (aka Communion) is a slasher that has a lot of promise, but the brutally slow pacing and completely unlikable characters let it down in a big way. The plot kicks into gear after our main character, Alice's sister is horrifically murdered at their first communion and all eyes are on Alice as the main suspect; then it becomes a whodunit-lite mystery that never goes anywhere and the reveal of the killer is ridiculous. The film takes clear inspiration from Dario Argento's, Suspiria and the Giallo film style, but apart from the vibrant yellows of the raincoats and creepy-as-hell mask, there's not much to look at with the grainy photography polluting your eyes. The presence of the killer is unsettling due to the very memorable mask, but the filmmakers play the ultimate cheat card and have the reveal of the killer being someone who can't fit into the shoes of the killer we'd seen on screen previously and the whole thing falls apart. There are some interesting moments of violence, especially for a film with so many religious tones, but it is a great big bore that is way too long for the story they were trying to tell and is another example of an older horror movie that ACTUALLY could benefit from a remake!