Alice's Restaurant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alice's Restaurant Reviews

½ December 9, 2010
Arthur Penn's follow-up to his legendary "Bonnie and Clyde" is an amusingly goofy and ramshackle lark inspired by Arlo Guthrie's hit novelty song of the same name. Some of the humor is a tad too broad at times and not everything really comes together (a subplot about a doomed romantic triangle in particular seems awkwardly shoehorned in), but the film coasts by on Guthrie's charasmatic, likeable lead performance and Penn's skillful ability to weave humor and melancholy together, especially in the bleak finale, which acts as an elegy for the failed countercultural dream. A minor work from a major director that is certainly worth searching for.
November 27, 2010
If I could enter in this box twenty-seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each outlining my review of this movie, I would. However, I'll just have to explain that the photos would be sort of mediocre, but with an endearingly nostalgic feel.
½ November 10, 2010
"America, cut your hair!". An artistic film for the counter culture of the late 60's and early 70's. Great folk sound track by Guthrie.
November 2, 2010
If you are a fan of Arlo Guthrie than this film is a must. Great direction by Penn and a solid performance by Pat Quinn (Alice).
½ October 2, 2010
Arlo is a funny guy!
August 1, 2010
One of those 'generational anthems' that's more endearing because it's a tad off key. Arlo Guthrie's semi-autobiographical homage to his father and his friends.
½ April 23, 2010
Full of hippy goodness.
½ February 2, 2010
Less a coherent film and more of a series of vignettes showing the early days of the hippie movement and the decline of folk music as a national interest.
½ January 10, 2010
Quickly outdated film by Arthur Penn. The hippie days and the draft days are long gone. The ending was well shot Penn loves to use the use of silence in his films and that song by Arlo Gutherie is annyoing as hell.
½ October 20, 2009
Arlo Gunthrie leads the cast of a movie version of his famous song. A loot of it is interesting and a joy to watch. Alot is incredibly dull and boring. Arlo isn't really a good actor but he does have a charm to him. A near lack of plot is probably the reason I find much of it dull, it just moves from scene to scene wit not leading to the next.
September 23, 2009
In 1967, 20 year old Arlo Guthrie, (son of Woody Guthrie), composed a song called 'Alice's Restaurant Massacree' which told a true story, although very exaggerated, which happened during Thanksgiving 1965, the song lasted 18 minutes. Director Arthur Penn, who had just come off Bonnie and Clyde (1967), saw potential in the album for a film version, and so did Arlo. So, they went and made a film of the album of what happened at Alice's Restaurant. The film shows Arlo Guthrie, a long haired hippie who is trying to avoid the draft by moving around from school to school. He soon returns home to his friends, Alice (Pat Quinn), Roger (Geoff Outlaw) and artist Shelley (Michael McClanathan) and Ray Brock (James Broderick), their home is a deconsecrated church in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, which ultimately becomes Alice's Restaurant. They find themselves in trouble with the local police, especially after they dump months worth of rubbish off a cliffside. The film is a product of it's time, and shows the counter culture movement for what it was, harmless and standing up for what they believe in. It has some good laughs, and it has a real heart as well.
August 13, 2009
you can get anything you want ... !
August 5, 2009
Not bad...not great, but not bad. Just kinda there, but I enjoyed it for the most part. I found the shambling nature of the film to be sort of charming, and the music is quite catchy.
July 12, 2009
I guess I just missed the whole "good-natured", "authentic charm" of the movie. I love the 18-minute song. I felt that the movie dragged, amd for it being labeled a comedy it wasnt that funny. I laughed twice, and that was far less than I expected too. I was disappointed. An 18-minute short film based on the song would have been funnier.
½ June 11, 2009
This was good in it's time.
½ May 9, 2009
As many others have said, you either love this movie or you hate it. It doesn't have a "strong" plot, but there IS a clear storyline that gives the movie a general direction.

Personally, I loved it. It took me a while to realize it, though. When I did, I was surprised. But I realized it was such a delight to watch Arlo Guthrie in this film. There's just something special about him, that makes him so engaging to watch; whether he is saying a whole lot, or not much at all. The "garbage" scene and the scene where he goes through the drafting process (and ultimately avoids it- thank goodness) is just priceless! It almost makes the movie. But the rest of it was very enjoyable as well.

I left this film feeling strangely happy. That was last night, and I still feel happy today. :)
May 7, 2009
probably written and filmed in three days. heavy handed and over the top but very enjoyable.
½ April 19, 2009
This movie drags at the beginning and the end, but it is very entertaing in the middle. It's a very unorthodox film based on Arlo Guthrie's 18 minute song of the same name. Arlo Guthrie does a good job, but at times his lack of acting skills does affect the film. It's about a bunch of hippies and the movie is defiantly a product of it's time. It has some great characters and the film ends with a amazing tracking shot that is very powerful. A interesting film that's a little too long.
February 28, 2009
If you can't hack the film, just buy the soundtrack. Arlo Guthrie is hilarious.
December 4, 2008
I've been to the church where this took place :) btw the movie sucks