Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County Reviews

• Feb 07, 2019

This supposedly true story is based around the mysterious case of the McPherson family that disappeared. Supposedly there was a tape of their abduction except this film is made as a re-enactment of the events. More like an assumption of what went down and also considered as one of the first Found Footage movies ever made, the film serves up more of that UFO paranoia for the UFO enthusiasts. Some to this day still believe that this movie is the real footage. There is a remake of this version called Incident in Lake County, but this version is by far the best (and most "realistic"). It does a good job at creating tension and giving the viewer a slight uneasy feeling while watching.

• Nov 09, 2018

Its an extremely low budget alien abduction story. No CGI or visual effects. But it was still a decent story that was well acted considering the budget. Not sure I'd rec to anyone or watch again, but it was fun one time viewing.

• Nov 11, 2015

Interesting idea, some working chills but nothing more. Below average even for low budget horror film.

• Dec 21, 2014

There's something to be said for a "found footage" film, made in 1998 for what appears to be a miniscule budget, featuring some HORRIBLE acting, still in 4:3, that actually manages to keep you watching late at night despite its shortcomings. It was hammy, and at times extremely laughable, but even still, it kind of still scared the sh*t out of me.

• May 20, 2014

This has to be the worst film I have ever seen in my life, some how I clawed my way to the end only to be flooded with feelings of disappointment and a overwhelming realization that i have foolishly wasted 1 hr - 33 mins of my life.

• May 09, 2013

The actors are either talking utter bollocks or screaming. I wanted to strangle them with my bare hands within 20 minutes into the film. I have never seen anything so irritating and utterly moronic in my life.

• Apr 28, 2013

Ah, the infamous "real" McPherson Tape. Hugely controversial amongst the alien abduction enthusiasts, hundreds of people still think that this the real deal. Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but it isn't. Still, this is probably the most believable found footage movie I've ever seen, as it really does feel as if you're watching an actual vhs camcorder home video of a real midwestern family in the 1980s. The alien abductions themselves are not really the focus here. The focus seems to be the tension that this family feels while being scared out of their wits. I prefer this original version over the 1997 made-for-television remake, Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County, which screamed "fake" right from the get go: awful acting, no chemistry between the actors/characters, overblown effects and laughable "documentary interviews" interspersed to insult the viewer's intelligence. Even though this original version is bare bones and lacking in alien action, it still manages to be taught, atmospheric, well acted, and most of all, believable. This has been next to impossible to find for decades, but thankfully someone has uploaded a pirated copy on the internet recently. If you are a fan of the remake, aliens/UFOs, found footage or just underground cinema in general, do yourself a favor and check it out. But just remember, its only a movie! There is no REAL "McPherson Tape" floating around out there. The name of the family in this original version isn't even McPherson, its Van Heese.

• Feb 04, 2013

If I saw this back in 1998, before Blair Witch or Paranormal activity I would have enjoyed it much more, as I love alien movies with tension like this film had. It could of been a classic for me.

• Jan 22, 2013

The clips I've seen of the 1989 original seemed so much better in just about every way. This is probably better than the Fourth Kind, but then again, so is watching grass grow. Prepare yourself, however, for bad dialogue and worse acting. And a Canadian Thanksgiving.

• Jan 13, 2013

Film de série B (voir de série Z) très low budget . L'ambiance est intéressante mais c'est la seule chose du film. Précurseur des films "caméra à l'épaule/fond footage (avant Blair Witch Project)