Alien from L.A. (Odeon) (Wanda) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien from L.A. (Odeon) (Wanda) Reviews

½ October 1, 2016
And enjoyably dopey low budget vehicle featuring Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Kathy Ireland. Quite incredulously, Ireland plays a nerdy teenager LA who travels to the center of the earth Jules Verne-style to find her missing archeologist father. Reliable low budget direction Albert Pyun gets the unpretentious tone just right, but the film is really just too dumb to be considered a good film. Something like "Cherry 2000" had a similar goofy sci-fi tone, but was actually a smartly done film. The one if enjoyably goofy, but is also pretty dumb. Thom Mathews, the punk kid from "Return of the Living Dead," also appears in the film. This one is a pretty stereotypical 1980s Golan/Gobus Canon Pictures quickie release.
½ September 29, 2016
This movie is evilly bad and should be shoved up Donald Trump's asshole. Then he should die an awful death.
November 26, 2015
A nerdy introverted beach bum travels to the middle of the earth to find her lost explorer father. The innards of the earth house fallen Atlantis which is now run in a 1984 meets Idiocracy meets Total Recall meets Mad Max kind of fashion. Really terrible except for some well-placed political commentary. Can you believe that made a sequel to this crap and had the audaciousness to title it after the Verne classic? And, was there really a time way back in the 80's where Kathy Ireland was thought of as an actress? It had to have been an alternate universe. Apparently there was an MST3K episode with this "film." I wish I would have seeked that out; would have been less painful.
½ August 9, 2015
One of the worst movies ever made. It's even painful when it's riffed by MST3K.
August 17, 2013
Kathy Ireland drops down a hole and finds Atlantic, where everybody is from Australia. Best watched with MST3K commentary. Not for the comically impaired!
½ June 16, 2013
Words cannot describe how truly bad this movie is.
½ June 16, 2013
I really don't know where to start. I can give the film one plus in that the production design of the lost city of Atlantis is decent.

Other than that. Not one thing. The acting is awful. The story is horrible. The characters are flat and boring. The score is lame. The movie also just looks cheap.

And I adore Kathy Ireland, her posters were plastered all over my bedroom walls when I was growing up, but she is not a very good actress and she is brutal here. She looks good of course, but her voice will make you question if death is actually better than finishing this film. It's that high pitched and annoying.

Skip this film at all costs.
June 7, 2013
it was a good movie there was a lot of adventure and the main character was lovable. it would have been a little better if the dark scenes have had a little bit more light to make the movie a little clearer.
½ April 19, 2013
Holy Fuck what a total turd of a movie this is. The saddest part about this is that someone at some point thought this was a great idea.
Seriously this "film" is the result of a bunch of people who sat in a board room and thought it was just an amazing idea to give Kathy Ireland a film career.
It's movie's like this that will show you how cocaine was the force behind retarded idea's like this. The best way and ONLY way you should watch this is the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version where they tear this apart, that's why I gave it a one an a half because its so entertaining to make fun of.
April 13, 2013
Badly written, badly acted, and badly paced. Ireland's voice is too annoying to pay attention to, and the plot holes are way too deep. It's no wonder why this was on MST3K, which is the only way this film should be seen.
½ January 18, 2013
Kathy Ireland has the voice of a mouse. So for some reason they put her in the starring role of a movie that feels like it tried to be interesting, but gave up its dreams and settled for a squeaky-voiced swimsuit model. The end. (and for a swimsuit model, Kathy Ireland barely shows any skin. At all.)
November 18, 2012
There was a period in the late 80's and early 90's when Kathy Ireland was doing movies and TV, and none of it was more terrible than Alien From L.A. (not even Necessary Roughness). The film tells the story of the young Wanda, whose father falls into a hole and winds up in the underground world of Atlantis. She follows him down, and over the course of the film, she grows up, I guess. Now, I actually had a crush on this woman when I was young, but I don't see anything in her today to make me feel the same way. The fact that her voice is irritatingly awful in this movie doesn't help either. Thankfully the crew from Mystery Science Theater 3000 were around to make the film slightly more enjoyable. Otherwise, it's an exercise in patience.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ November 18, 2012
Good concept ruined by a poorly laid out script and dull plot, Alien from L.A could have been such a good film. Unfortunately, it fails. Acting wise, the film is pathetic, there is not one single enjoyable performance here and each actor is dreadful on-screen. The film had so much potential but everything is wasted. I found myself being more bored than anything while watching this and it really didn't have anything interesting going for it. Although a parody of Jules Verne's Journey to the center of the Earth, this film really doesn't do anything with its ideas, and therefore the film fails to generate any entertainment value. The actors are bad and they really don't have any on-screen chemistry at all. The plot falls apart, and the film becomes tiresome halfway through. If you're looking for a fun, entertaining and ultimately memorable Sci Fi comedy horror flick, look elsewhere this is a mess that tries far too hard at overcoming its mediocrity and it fails due to a poor director and an even worst script. The film was very disappointing and it was a waste of time that didn't deliver. Reviews on this one were bad, but I chose to keep an open mind, and I told myself that it couldn't be that bad... Well, it was. Don't bother watching this piece of garbage because there's nothing promising about it. The film is a poorly constructed mess stitched together by bad performances a forgettable plot and unfocused directing. This film ends up being a misfire and it has nothing to offer horror fans looking for a wonderful and entertaining horror comedy. Pass this one up; you'll be glad you did.
½ June 8, 2012
Horrible!!!! Lol god bless mst3k
½ June 4, 2012
The MST3K stinger couldn't describe it any better - "Yuck!"
February 21, 2012
This is one of those movies that is so bad it's funny. The acting is bad, but it's one of those movies you have to see once, but only once. It's no wonder Kathy Ireland's acting career never got off the ground.
½ October 30, 2011
½ October 24, 2011
Seriously, what happened in this movie? It was absolutely bizarre and nothing happened for any sort of reason. I'm confused...
½ June 14, 2011
While this initially seems as promising a good-bad movie as THE ROOM or TROLL 2, it becomes mostly just a bad movie. And boy, is it rotten.
½ May 23, 2011
I thought this movie was going to be terrible and it didn't disappoint. I'd previously seen the MST3k version which was amusing but the original is pretty bad. It starts with some bad acting which seems like the middle of a movie with no idea what's going on or who the people are then goes into a completely different scene in the different country that looks like they spliced two different movies together. Don't let the cover fool you either boys - they only time you see Kathy Ireland (who, let's face it, is only acceptable when she doesn't talk) in a biniki is about 10 seconds before the end credits. Most of the movie Kathy or "Wanda" is stuck in a world inside the Earth, where she is ofcouse the alien. If you like Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Mad Max and Bladerunner then go and watch them because this movie is trying to be like all of them but without the storyline, script, actors or special affects to back it up.