Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

½ May 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Ridley Scott nos ofrece una obra maestra de la ciencia ficción, con un guión soberbio y una excelente puesta en escena.
May 17, 2017
This is one of the best sci-fi horror film's of all time, the tension is on point with some of the scariest scenes put to screen.
½ May 16, 2017
Arguably one of the best sci-fi thrillers ever made, Alien stands the test of time in nearly every way and remains a classic. Ridley Scott is fantastic at world-building, and this movie is one of his best. Everything feels so real, from sets to props, and just the story and history set up in this universe is fantastic. Some of the best looking things, of course, are the aliens. The Face-hugger and the Xenomorph both have incredible designs, and look very real and menacing. Most of the special effects also hold up quite well, from the ships flying through space, to the breathing of the Face-hugger. If you have not seen Alien, I have no idea what you've been doing with your life, and you need to go pick it up right away and give it a watch.
½ May 16, 2017
With all due respect, this film is far from a masterpiece.

On the way home from a mission for the Company, the Nostromo's crew is woken up from hibernation by the ship's Mother computer to answer a distress signal from a nearby planet. Capt. Dallas's (Tom Skerritt) rescue team discovers a bizarre pod field, but things get even stranger when a face-hugging creature bursts out of a pod and attaches itself to Kane (John Hurt). Over the objections of Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), science officer Ash (Ian Holm) lets Kane back on the ship. The acid-blooded incubus detaches itself from an apparently recovered Kane, but an alien erupts from Kane's stomach and escapes. The alien starts stalking the humans, pitting Dallas and his crew (and cat) against a malevolent killing machine that also has a protector in the nefarious Company.

Every once in a while, old movies or movies that are already out on DVD come back to the theaters for a short period of time. "Alien" was one of those films that came back to the theaters for one day at one time, and I knew I had to see it. Prior to this, I had never seen the film, but I had obviously heard about it. Sadly, my history with old "classic" films has not been great, and I actually found this film to be pretty underwhelming, if not just flat out bad.

One thing I did like was the score. The music worked really well with the movie and the tone they set out to establish. It had this real creepy vibe to it and it created a lot of the experience for me.

I also liked the ability to create suspense in this film. It's a claustrophobic thriller that's meant to keep you on your toes. The movie isn't fast paced or guns blazing, rather, a slow, suspenseful film that's meant to scare you in a different way. I do appreciate the way they were able to build suspense over time.

Now what I didn't like about the movie sadly outweighs the good of the film. First, I thought the acting was terrible. I literally found the acting to be cheesy, over dramatic, and comedic. I think on any objective level of criticism, you can't tell me that these performances were top notch. It was almost laughable what some of these actors did and I felt that it really compromised the film sometimes. Sigourney Weaver was fine as the lead and she was the best one in the film, but no one else really did much to help. If anything, they made it worse.

The story telling was weak and I felt that the way they executed the story a lot better. The movie felt a bit too long and when I say that, I just mean that there were some overdrawn shots that were bland and unnecessary. It felt that a lot of the setup in the beginning was pretty useless overall, so it made the movie feel longer and more boring then it should've been.

In the end, "Alien" is not too special, and not a movie I would say that's good.
May 16, 2017
When you talk about the greatest science fiction films ever made, you have to at least include the original Alien in the conversation. It spawned an entire franchise, sure, but it also inspired an entire generation of filmmakers that still resonates throughout filmmaking today. It's often imitated, but never duplicated.

I love going back and re-watching this film because it's one of the few horror films I can remember that isn't tarnished upon second viewing. It's always hard to make a film that is just as good the second time around, but it's particularly challenging with horror films. There's something about knowing when each scare is coming and knowing who gets killed off first that usually ruins the fun. However, 1979's Alien is quite the achievement in transcending the "trapped in a confined space" genre.

The one thing that always shines through with Alien is Ridley Scott's vision. He's one of those directors that when he's on top of his game, there's no one better at displaying a singular vision for filmmaking. He was certainly inspired by a few sci-fi's that came before like 2001 or maybe even Forbidden Planet, but Alien is its own entity. And boy does it possess one particular entity that scared an entire generation.

Much like the entire film around it, the Xenomorph is a fascinating piece of art. I love H.R. Giger's design. I love its origin. I love that its hidden for half the film. I love that there's actually a human underneath all that terrifying skin. Heck, I love that this thing has two mouths, both just as horrifying as the other. The Xenomorph is as much the star of this film as Sigourney Weaver is, and they both complement each other brilliantly, as strange as that sounds.

But let's talk about Weaver & the crew. If there's ever a memorable crew in one of these space mission films, it's in Alien. And the crazy thing is, you don't necessarily get to know any of them in depth to care about their health and well-being. Most of the film is spent in silence, which makes it all the more powerful when the Alien does attack. Sometime less is more, huh? In its entirety, Alien is one of the greatest films ever made, and easily one of the most memorable. Whether it's the dinner scene, the cat, Weaver kicking a** in her underwear, the reveal with Ash, or just the endless amount of beautiful establishing shots and production design, Alien is a masterpiece.

+Tension

+Scott's vision

+The production design & effects

+Birth of the Xenomorph

10/10
½ May 16, 2017
Ahead of it's time not only in FX, but in story and suspense. Most credit goes to the masterful direction of Ridley Scott.
May 14, 2017
I really like Alien. Like Jaws, the direction and suspense is top-notch. However, also like Jaws, the creature effects look dated when viewed from a far away angle.
May 13, 2017
The cinematic work that inspired and shaped a genre, when in the late 1970s, visionary Ridley Scott decided to tackle a syfy suspense fiction, it was surprising, not that there has never been anything like it before, but focus on terror is something different , "Alien" is a cult and an inspiration for a whole pop culture that would be created later, besides being a great movie. Telling the story of an aircraft in the future manned by 7 astronauts that receives a strange call coming from a small mysterious planet, when descending to investigate they end up bringing inside the ship a curious and lethal form of alien life. We have a premise that would be widely copied over the years, with a focus on suspense, creating an atmosphere of terror but without throwing away syfy elements, "Alien" does not have a spectacular script, quite the opposite, the same Has many holes that almost 40 years later have not yet been solved, but even so, his script knows how to balance all elements of the film, besides being linear, thought-provoking and have a great rhythm. When "Alien" was released the man had already gone to the moon to ten years, even being a film where the space knowledge was not gigantic, the film commits innumerable gaffes, that for example "Odyssey in space" of 68 does not commit, that It bothers a little bit, but when we come across photography and the art direction, we leave it a little aside. Unlike other films of the genre, we have a full-blown photograph of dark tones, which is wonderful for the mood of the film, but it betrays a little the art direction of the film, which even dazzles, if it performs spectacularly well, full of buttons, levers And lights, the film perfectly transmits the atmosphere of the interior of a ship, and in a simple way manages to transmit a threatening planet, save a highlight to the interior of the ship to find in the planet of "Aliens", it is simply perfect and at the same time We can not fail to mention the great soundtrack, although little present, when the same discreetly participates in the film, always helps to perfectly compose the climate of the film, the edition of the film leaves to be desired, even if it is 2 hours, it seems Which is missing much in the film. We do not have great acting, so let's emphasize our unlikely heroine, the actress Sigourney Weaver - it's great how the movie builds an entire bow for a hero, and then changes that- But our featured character here is Alien himself, his whole aura Mysterious is great, the fact that little appears and is never very visible is fantastic and plays with the viewer's imagination, as well as being extremely scary, And finally, our medal of honor to Ridley Scott for practically grounding a genre And make a great movie. "Alien" has problems, it's true, but his virtues are unsurpassed and the film plays its role with extreme perfection.
May 13, 2017
Great script and acting. Good camera work and nice sets. Good job in doing such a great and good looking movie in 1979 and with only seven actors to work with (nine, counting the alien and the mother). Great directing and editing which makes the movie very easy intense all the way.
When the camera showed the alien for to long it became less threatening and that made the movie show its age, it was scarier when they showed it less. Also some of the effects and tricks was very obvious.
Otherwise a great movie, exceptionally for its time in which it was created.
May 12, 2017
Overrated piece of bullcrap.
½ May 10, 2017
The supreme of sci fi horror and one of Ridley Scott's most significant films, Alien serves a dose of monster horror, while keeping the focus on a deep, thought-provoking story and real characters that elevate what could have been a b movie monster film.
May 10, 2017
One of my all time favourite taglines accompanies this excellent horror/Sci-Fi flick.

It is really catastrophic and suspenseful. The scene with John Hurt is still stomach-turning.

The teeth on the creature freaks me out. Snakey Alien cunt.

A slasher in space.
½ May 9, 2017
It is a slasher flick...IN SPACE! The visuals are gorgeous, the ship has a slight Kubrick design but with an extra gritty edge. The alien creature is one of the most iconic movie monsters for its unusual buggish look and sliminess. The creature is constantly in the shadows, giving a paranoid sense as to when it will come out and strike. The cast is very strong, Sigourney Weaver makes her character Ripley tough, sympathetic, and believable. This is the definitive sci-fi horror classic.
May 8, 2017
The pinnacle of sci-if/thriller/horror delivers great characters, amazing practical sets and monsters, violence, suspense, and so much more.
May 8, 2017
Favorite sci-fi horror movie
May 7, 2017
Without this there would be no Aliens. Great movie!
jamrcla
May 7, 2017
Brilliant film for its time, It has the capability to still make you jump today, The start of a great franchise, Full of suspense and horror, It's a slow burner but still delivers on the goods when asked to, Brilliantly acted and it should be viewed by all if they are true movie fans.
May 7, 2017
I am reviewing all of my favorite movies, and since I already reviewed the new alien movie I am going to talk to you about one of my favorites, Alien is one of if not the best futuristic movies of all time, the Alien design is one of the best monster designs of all time, the very sexualized look of them and feel makes you feel like you have been valeted. The direction is amazing with Ridley Scott being spot on, the accent is amazing especially Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, everyone acting in this movie is amazing, and the suspense is so terrifying I still jump 40 years later
May 6, 2017
Tense, terrifying, unpredictable and a fabulous female lead. Scott pulled this one out of the bag.
May 4, 2017
Best move ever. Easily my favorite movie. Enough said.