Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

June 18, 2017
No espaço, ninguém ouvira os seus gritos. Alien é uma revolução tanto do terror quanto da ficção, o filme arrasa quarteirão que projetou Ridley Scott para o mundo. Embora o enredo poça parecer pouco manso em comparação com outros concorrentes clássicos, o medo restrito é o que fez o filme tão original, o fato de estar no espaço mostrar a ineficiência em buscar ajuda, fazendo com que o elenco encare o medo de frete. E um grande novo jeito de fazer terror mas ainda está longe de ser perfeito.
June 17, 2017
A root Sci-Fi.

In a direct and simplistic summary, "Alien" is a movie about things that can jump out of the dark and kill you. Share a kinship with movies like: shark, Halloween and others that involve varied spiders, snakes, tarantulas and persecutors. But the looks end many before that.

One of the great strengths of "Alien" and consequently of director Ridley Scott, is his pace. "Alien" takes your time. He waits. It allows silences (the majestic opening shots are underlined by Jerry Goldsmith with only distant metallic vibrations). This suggests the enormity of the team's discovery, building itself up with small steps: the interception of a signal (is it a warning or an SOS?). The descent to the extraterrestrial surface. The bitching by Brett and Parker, who care only about collecting their shares. The master stroke of the dark surface through which the crew members move, their helmet lights hardly penetrate the soup. The shadowy outline of the alien ship. The sight of the alien pilot, frozen in his command chair. The enormity of the discovery inside the ship.

"Alien" uses a tricky device to keep the alien fresh throughout the film: it evolves the creature's nature and appearance, so we never know exactly what it looks like and what it can do. We assume that, in the first place, the eggs will produce a humanoid, because that is the shape of the petrified pilot on the alien ship long lost. But of course we do not even know if the pilot is of the same race as the load of leathery eggs. Maybe he also considers them as a weapon. The first time we take a good look at the alien, when it explodes in the chest of poor Kane (John Hurt). It is unmistakably phallic, and critic Tim Dirks mentions his "open and dripping vaginal mouth."

Certainly, the character of Ripley, played by Sigourney Weaver, would have attracted readers of the Golden Age of Science Fiction. She has little interest in the novel of finding the alien, and even less in her employer's orders that it be brought back home as a potential weapon. After she sees what she can do, her response to "Special Request 24" ("Return to alien life form, all other priorities rescinded") is succinct: "How can we kill it?" His relentless hatred for the alien is the common thread running through the three "Alien" sequences, which have gradually declined in quality but retain their motivating obsession.

Finally, there is the inheritance that "Alien" made possible to the genre Sci-Fi and in addition and much more besides the franchise films that followed after the film of 1979, glimpses the craft relation of producing a film that could go by the yearnings of the Commercial cinema and also by the relation of not giving up the original embryo and not cliché between suspensions, terror and fiction.
June 17, 2017
This sci-fi classic is one of my all time favorite movies. With intense scenes and great cast, this movie deserves a 5 star rating.
½ June 15, 2017
sci-fi horror royalty. every work from here on out should have been a humble servant to the true queen of sci-fi horror.
½ June 15, 2017
This film is one of those sci fi films that gets brought up when people are talking about films that are perfect. This film isn't perfect, but it's still a good film. The acting was well done, they were believable as these characters. The writing was well done, some good dialogue. The scares were great and put in at the right places. The soundtrack was fitting and really pulled you into the film. The film had a great structure. The only problem I had was that it felt a little too slow. This film is an hour and 58 minutes long. By the hour mark the only scary moment was the chest buster scene. This film just felt a little too slow. Overall, an excellent Sci Fi Horror film even though it felt slow.

Rating: 9.2/10
½ June 14, 2017
Alien I remember being the first horror movie I've ever seen. I also remember loving it (mainly because I watched it two weeks before this review).

Alien is without a doubt, a true masterpiece in sci-fi, horror cinema. Not only is it extremely iconic, but it is brilliant. All thanks to Ridley Scott's flawless direction.

The reason I say it's brilliant is because Scott putts his full attention on every detail possible. In the first 30 minutes put me in utter awe by the detail. Not only that, but the cinematography.

The cinematography was absolutely amazing. The film is packed with some of the best camera quality I've ever seen, AND THIS WAS RELEASED BACK IN 79!

The story was also captivating. A group of people are on a large spaceship and are trying to survive a xenomorph (alien) which is on it. During this movie, I tried to put myself in the characters shoes. It would be absolutely horrifying to be on that ship with them. Nevertheless, it was an amazing film.

Over all, Alien revolutionized the genera and an abundance of other movies. 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
June 14, 2017
A fantastic time-capsule from the late '70s, the era of patient filmmaking, practical effects and potent new ideas. In borrowing from and expanding upon themes first incubated in Kubrick's 2001, director Ridley Scott delivers a tangible, chilling take on humanity's star-faring future. The basic concept is devilishly simple: a hapless freighter crew lands on an uncharted planet, picks up a murderous uninvited guest, then spends the rest of the picture trying (and failing) to outlast it in a claustrophobic environment. But there's so very much more to it than that. Expert character development rewards us with an intensely human, accessible crew. It really hurts each time one of them succumbs to a howling, terrified death. The film represents a master class in tension-building, investing long spans of film in thick, dramatic pauses that pay dividends. It works as a social allegory, too: even generations from now, with our destiny amidst the stars, the working class draws the short straw and risks everything for a meager paycheck. And, perhaps most impressive of all, it's a jaw-dropping visual powerhouse. The style in this film is unmatched, from the fuzzy monitors and tangled wires aboard the flight deck to H.R. Geiger's legendary grotesque monster and environment designs. We enjoy a constant sense of wonder, awed by what we're seeing but grounded by the perceived physical reality of it all. All this, and I haven't even mentioned the acting, direction or effects work. A sci-fi legend through and through, this is one of the best-realized (and finest-aging) genre torchbearers ever.
June 13, 2017
A perfect blend of sci-fi and horror, chilling and engaging. Contender for greatest movie of all time.
½ June 11, 2017
horror,cold and tension
June 11, 2017
This movie is much ahead of its time.
June 10, 2017
Lacks budget but excellent none the less. Ian Holm is not very good at playing androids... sounds like something Data would say if he watched this.
½ June 9, 2017
I'm pretty sure back in 1979 this was a new introduction. It was like a new kind of horror. It was in space. This didn't really work for some movies that I've seen especially Jason X. But this movie worked with the space idea really well. He movie was slow and that was a good thing for the suspense. It made some of the scares unpredictable and more scary. Watching it today I wasn't very impressed with the special effects but I'm sure back then these were great. The movie had good special effects for its time. Now the cast is great. They all fit in with their characters perfectly. Then the iconic alien. This creature is horrifying. Overall this is a pretty good horror movie. It's a classic horror movie with an eerie and creepy tone. The special effects are good for the time this was made. There are slow scenes but it builds up great suspense. I'm gonna give this an A.
½ June 7, 2017
WAAAAAHHHHH!!! Genuinely Freaked That Ba-Jesus Out Of Me...So Good...Such Craziness. Those Screeching (Alien) Sound Effects Just Sent Chills Straight Through Me. Like A Dentists Drill, This Is So Painfull. But In A Weird Way, You're Kinda Gagging For More. It Is Also, Sigourney Weaver's Defining Role.
June 7, 2017
I watched it for the very first time on Alien Day 2017 and it was very very interesting
½ June 6, 2017
A thrilling classic of a sci-fi film, Alien is a genre-definer.
½ June 1, 2017
Fresh, original, and for it to still be passable 40 years later, is a testament to the greatness of the movie. 93/100.
June 1, 2017
Best horror movie of all time. My favorite Sci fi
June 1, 2017
Ridley Scott's Alien (1979) truly is a cinematic masterpiece of sci fi horror film-making. The acting, special effects, story, and music are simply phenomenal, and help prove how revolutionary this movie was back when it first hit movie theaters back in 1979. Thanks to this film (and its sequel Aliens from 1986), the Alien franchise came to be and for good reason as this movie is an extremely good start to it.
May 31, 2017
Re-watching all the Alien films with my son, in preparation for seeing Covenant (OK, so not the Aliens vs. Predator ones ...). This was just as scary and good as I remembered it, although some of the special effects are a big cringe worthy.
May 31, 2017
I really like Alien. Like Jaws, the direction and suspense is top-notch. However, also like Jaws, the creature effects look dated when viewed from a far away angle.

8/10