Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

August 16, 2016
What does Aliens,Alien,and the first 2 Terminator movies have in common?
The first of each is more suspenseful and the 2nd of each is more action packed. And the 2nd of each are directed by James Cameron.
And finally,both Terminator 2 and Aliens are prime examples of sequels that are better than the original.
August 16, 2016
Chilling cinematic achievement that launched the new string of horror sci-fi movies. Masterful directing from Ridley Scott and a great performance from Sigourney Weaver and inspiring monster this movie is GREAT!!!
August 16, 2016
Alien has always been one of my very favorites. Its patient pacing really builds up the scare factor.
August 14, 2016
Alien is one of the most influential and beautiful sci-fi films of the 20th century. It is utterly brilliant in all of its running time, and has one of the best casts of the 1970's. Alien is also a film that is very masterfully directed by Ridley Scott and sharply edited that adds to the tension. Overall, Alien is a masterpiece, it will be seen for generations to come, and people will still marvel at it, as it did in 1979.
August 13, 2016
I LOVE THIS MOVIE BECAUSE Its the classic MOVIE EVERYONE could be watch movie Everyone LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!!
½ August 11, 2016
The lights at the end felt like they gave me a seizure.
August 5, 2016
I saw this film a bit late (2014...I know...SUPER late). It left me feeling awed. And guilty that I'd taken so long to watch it. I became a fan immediately. Like, the zealous kind of fan that, for weeks, kept asking people if they'd actually seen the original Alien and why aren't people still talking about it? Why aren't we all talking about Alien?! It's so brilliantly written and the acting is incredible. That iconic scene that has been spoofed so many times...I already knew what was going to happen, because who hasn't heard about it or seen it replicas in other movies since this film's release? But seeing the one that inspired all the others was an experience. I was still shocked and the genuine shock that overcame the actors also moved me.
August 4, 2016
A sci-fi / horror masterpiece!
½ August 3, 2016
Certainly not bad for the time, although I did prefer the 80s version much more.
August 2, 2016
Good horror movie but it has some boring scenes! I love the Blu-ray version of this movie because of the fantastic sound!
½ August 1, 2016
Pioneered the tech-noir genre, and has remained a one of a kind sci-fi classic with tension and effective build-up.
July 31, 2016
I really wanted to understand the rave reviews and high ratings this film has gathered but I struggled to watch it. Really struggled.
For me it was just a cheap Star Wars with pre-CGI space set pieces and corridors on a spaceship.
Basically it is set in the future where a massive supply ship slowly travels through space collecting mineral ores. The ship is diverted by a distress signal from another planetoid where the Alien of the title enters the fray.
Basically an alien creature from the site of the distress signal latches onto the poor face of John Hurt and is allowed entry to the Nostramus space ship against the orders of senior officer Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) who believes Hurt should have a 24 hour period in quarantine (poor sod he has an alien literally stuck to his face).
Efforts are made to remove the alien thing revealing some acid like blood.
It eventually appears to disappear of its own accord or does it? Quell the most famous scene of this movie that is guaranteed to put off anybody eating their tea. The alien creature literally explodes through John Hurts abdomen!
The effects are good seen as this was made in a pre-CGI era.
That reminds me the Nostramus computer is ancient!
The film is not too long but it still required multiple views to get through it. One to avoid in my humble opinion.
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Brilliant film for its time, Bits still make me jump now, The start of a great franchise, Brilliantly told and some great acting too.
July 23, 2016
Alien is one of the best science fiction films ever made. Incredibly fast paced even by today's standards. Too bad it was followed up by action schlock with James Cameron's Aliens.
July 15, 2016
My all time favorite horror movie
½ July 15, 2016
I enjoyed this thriller
July 14, 2016
One of my favourite films. Possibly the best, most stylish, and intense blend of science fiction and horror. Alien is a movie with a presence and commands respect. It's not just a classic because "it's a classic" - it's genuinely one of the most innovative and creepy sci-fi/horror films that still holds up well today.
½ July 13, 2016
A Haunted House in Space
A Slightly Skewed review of "Alien"

To say that the film Alien was simply a "haunted house in space" may sound a bit diminishing but it's not meant to. Released on May 25, 1979 and directed by Ridley Scott, it went on to produce three sequels, a "prequel" in the film Prometheus (also directed by Ridley Scott), two crossover films with the popular Predator franchise, and countless comics, video games, and merchandise. But what about the film that started it all? Let's get into that. P.S. There will be some SPOILERS in this review. The film is 37 years old, so if you want the short review: It's good, go watch it! Anyway, on with the review......

Opening on a cold, panning shot of deep space, the credits do what most opening credits don't even bother to do today; they set the mood. The music is a series of clicks and swells of noise and spooky harmonics. It's truly haunting. We then see the primary setting of the film: The Nostromo, a commercial towing vehicle with a huge mineral ore refinery in tow. The camera moves inside as we get to see all of the intricate hallways and passages of the ship. This shows the claustrophobic setting that we will be dealing with. Everything is cramped and looks dingy and used, and the whole ship is dimly lit. The set design is of particular note throughout the movie. Our main characters are the crew of said ship on a return trip to Earth. They are awakened out of stasis by the main computer of the ship; called MOTHER, to respond to a distress signal coming from a nearby planet. As the Nostromo is just a glorified tow truck in space, the crew is quite small, consisting of just seven people. After a series of discussion about responding to the distress signal and a point being made that they all are REQUIRED to check any sign of "intelligent life" or they won't be paid. As all of them are just working stiffs, they begrudgingly go to the planet to investigate the signal. Upon landing on the planet LV-426, three of the crew go outside to check the surface for an indication of where the signal is coming from. They find it inside of a huge, horseshoe shaped spacecraft that looks to have crash landed eons ago. They move into the ship to investigate further, all the while the sounds of the desolate planet winds blow harshly outside. Moving into the bowels of the ship one crew member; Kane, finds an expansive nest of large pods that could be described as eggs. When he moves in to look at one that had opened, a spider-like creature bursts out, breaking through his space helmet and attaching itself to his face. The other two find him and bring him back to the ship. Upon trying to remove the creature from Kane's face the crew finds that when they try to make an incision on the creature's leg, it spews out a highly acidic blood that eats through a few floors of their ship. This thing isn't coming off. After a while they find Kane awake and the creature dead, seemingly falling off and dying on it's own. As they are all eating a meal together, Kane starts coughing and convulsing. A splash of blood and the crack of bone give way as a small snake like being bursts from his chest, killing him. This is the titular "Alien". It speeds off into the ducts of the ship as the crew wonder what they just saw. The plan is made to find the little monster (which is about the size of a small cat) and kill/capture it, but the problem is that there are no weapons on the ship, no firearms of any kind. They rig up some cattle prods and flame throwers and the hunt is on. They do find the alien but in the few hour that it took them to find it, the creature is now massive, standing around eight feet tall with long gangly arms, a long tail, and a curved elongated head. They alien's design is one of a kind, its never been replicated and will never be forgotten once seen. Systematically the alien kills the crew one by one until just Ellen Ripley (played by Sigourney Weaver) is the only one left. The plan now is to set the Nostromo to self destruct hopefully taking the Alien with it. Thus starts the nail-biting final race to see if Ripley escapes or if she's doomed to join her dead compatriots. To say that the film is a masterpiece is a little cliché but it's true. The atmosphere in this movie is astounding. I can't think of a movie that, quite-literally in some cases, drips with so much atmosphere. There are moments of pure terror unmatched by many films except for Halloween. The Alien is one of cinema's most enduring monsters along with the likes of Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Freddy Krueger, and his ultimate rival The Predator. I know I glossed over many of the characters but the less said, the better. The ending is of particular note, and my personal favorite sequence of the whole film, I'd even go as far as to say that the last ten minutes would function fine as a short film on its own, but I don't want to spoil EVERYTHING for those of you that haven't seen it. I will say that if you are looking for a ton of action throughout, you might want to stick to the first sequel "ALIENS", as this one takes it's time getting to the point when you actually see the alien in its full grown glory. And the scares do become a bit conventional and dare I say predictable once the alien starts it's killing spree. Characters walk off by themselves when you know they should stick together. But that's about all I can say negative about it. The acting, music, set design, cinematography, and lighting are all wonderful. I'd give it 4 &1/2 stars out of 5. It just barely falls short of being perfect because of its own horror movie trappings. There are twists that you may not see coming, like one of the crew members being not what they seem and also proposed the question: Is the Alien the true villain, or is it the corporation that the Nostromo crew work for? Give it a watch. I can think of worse ways to spend two hours. And remember as the tagline for the movie says, "In space no one can hear you scream".
½ July 13, 2016
A fantastic blend of sci-fi and horror, incredibly suspenseful and carefully elaborated with a perfect pacing. Scott knows very well how to slowly build a disquieting tension and elevate it to the point of nerve-wracking, and this film is a genuinely scary modern classic.
July 12, 2016
A beautiful set-design, good characters and effect that still hold on to today's standards.