The Alien Factor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Alien Factor Reviews

½ June 24, 2016
I watched two movies this week: "The Alien Factor" and "Sisters" (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and a sorry bunch of SNL regulars). Don't ask me why I thought "Sisters" might be good, but it was clearly the most boring movie I've ever seen -- ever. I watched the "Unrated" version which, except for some gratuitous drug use, was PG at best. I finally had to turn it off half way through.

"The Alien Factor" was the opposite. It's not a super-charged Marvel movie, not a technically superb movie, not a special effects blow-out movie, but that's part of its charm. I like it for what it teaches in the art of low budget / no budget indie filmmaking. Like, how do you convert a 30 minute short into a 82 minute feature? Number 1: have three monsters, not just one -- that chomps up a lot of minutes. Number 2: have lots of walks and runs through the woods, supplemented by a couple car rides and a motorcycle ride. Yet more minutes.

But what was "Blair Witch" but a long walk in the woods?

"The Alien Factor" is good in that it forms a baseline minimum for what a cult movie needs to achieve in the form of wardrobe, locations, dialogue, story and effects. The first two aliens weren't too bad, but the third, the Lemoid, was terrible. Maybe it was just the transparency of the monster (it would be acceptable with today's green screen effect) and lack or coordination with Ben Zachray's movement (also not as much of a problem today), but today most creative high school kids can do as well.

Too, the hospital operating room -- or doctor's office -- was just a white sheet hung on the wall. Would also have been a good place for green screen, but that's something far easier to achieve today, even with a platform like iMovie.

The sheriff's office was spare, but a sheriff's office in some small counties and townships won't be too much more extravagant. Not a problem.

I think what I'm saying is that if you're a filmmaker and want to make your own horror / monster / alien movie, this is a good place to start for reference. There's nothing here you can't do for yourself, and if you can achieve the fame and cult status of Don Dohler in the process, then you're on your way. Good luck. Have fun!
½ October 18, 2015
Regional sci-fi alien invasion film shot in the rural environs, bars and backyards of Maryland, the Alien Factor is infused with a weird low-budget horror sensibility that makes it even the more intriguing.
October 1, 2015
This is a film that is about 30 minutes long, yet is somehow stretched into 1h 22m using scenes of people walking and kids playing.
½ March 13, 2015
Not as amazing as the Galaxy Invader (Don Dohler's other masterpiece), but still pretty amazing. If you're looking for some laughs on a late night, this is a perfect choice. Some great costumes and bizarre acting.
½ October 11, 2014
I guess I have to give Don Dohler a little bit of credit. He does manage to do what he wants to do with what he's got, making films at home in Baltimore, Maryland with, what I'm assuming are, local actors and filmmakers alike. That's about as much credit as I can give him though, especially when it comes to something like The Alien Factor. This is, high and low, not a good film, in any sense of the term. It is a hilarious film, however, as evidenced by it showing up on an episode of Cinematic Titanic, but that's all it is. The plot is generic and ho-hum. Nothing original, as these types of movies come a dime a dozen. The acting is terrible, as is the story and the style of its presentation. Lots of long takes of people walking through wooded areas without any suspense are the best example of how this film plays out. Would I recommend it? Nope, but if you're looking for something to have a few laughs with then I'd say check it out if you get yourself a copy.
April 5, 2014
Horrible drive-in flick. Check out the sheriff's office, down right pathetic.
½ March 12, 2014
Home Brew Science Fiction shows a lot of effort for a low-budget--A deliciously cheesy low-budget sci-fi schlock hoot!!
½ October 30, 2013
This was made by the same folks who brought us Night Beast from 1982, and I actually enjoyed that movie. This had a much lower budget and no awesome gore effects and the alien in this was horrible. The Night Beast creature from the other movie was honestly very creepy and scary during different parts. This alien looked like a bad 6th grade art project....and it wasn't even funny,just kinda sad. Its worth a watch just to make fun of,or if you're a alien movie completist. The acting in both films is pretty terrible but in this its really like nobody even tried to be convincing. At least some of the actors in Night Beast took the film seriously,everyone in this seemed like they all smoked about 10 joints a piece then turned on the camera. This should have been a short 20 minute film,not an hour and a half feature.
August 30, 2013
Horrible, boring, and more than obviously on a very low budget. Don't spend your time.
May 26, 2013
Ultra-cheap, with one of the most unappealing casts in film history.
½ February 7, 2013
Hilariously bad, the effects were awful, the aliens were so cheesy, and the characters would make you laugh out loud. The plot is full of holes and so many turns that you might as well give up trying to follow it and just enjoy the laughs from the badness. Essential viewing for any B-movie watcher.
½ July 9, 2012
Bad, cheap amateurish production but then again considering other films around this time they did a really good job as in C+. If this was on youtube in the 70's they'd have a million plus hits. There's a lot of worse Hollywood productions then this. If you get a chance see the Cinematic Titanic version. Less painful.
½ June 25, 2011
Världens bästa idioti, Trodde inte det kunde bli bättre än Night Beast men jag hade fel.Någon som sett tvåan?
September 30, 2010
Gotta see this movie,from one of my best friends and next door neighbor.
August 14, 2010
The first of Don Dohler's homemade opuses. George Stover, who is in this and every other Don Dohler movie, does the commentary. Stover also acted for another Baltimore director--John Waters (in Female Trouble, Desperate Living, and Hairspray). He says that this is John Waters' favorite of Dohler's films. Stover also tells an interesting story about how Dohler became a director. Dohler was apparently held at gunpoint for a half-hour or more during a robbery. After surviving that, he was determined to immediately start following his dream of becoming a filmmaker!
½ July 1, 2010
Ah, behold the wondrous Alien Factor, written and directed by legendary low-budget, shot-on-video king Don Dohler (Fiend, Nightbeast, etc). Alien Factor concerns the recent slaughter of several small-town citizens by various nasty aliens. There's a big hulking beast, an unseen monster, and a heavily shielded threat that start wrecking havoc amongst a town of folks who are convinced it's a large animal of sorts. Their concerns are heightened when a random stranger comes into town and offers to help stop each and every alien menace, which he proceeds to do rather quickly. Overall, Alien Factor is heavily recommended for genuine horror enthusiasts. Sure, it's ultra low-budget, extremely campy, and laughably bad at times, but it's as rather fun to watch, and the effects are actually pretty good. In fact, I'd venture to say most of the budget went into those effects. To top things off, the film has one of THE best endings that manages to be utterly hilariously and insanely grim. If you liked the early John Carpenter film Dark Star, I'd heavily recommend this film. It's definitely fun and retro. Good stuff.
½ March 10, 2010
One of the most abrupt(and therefore favorite) endings I've ever seen. Other than that, this is pretty bad and pretty funny.
February 28, 2010
We freak out when a gorilla escapes from the zoo and threatens those of us near the Reptile House. This movie paints the idea of a trio of aliens lined up for an outer space zoo escaping in Baltimore as something as exciting as changing your oil or changing your oil during an eclipse. Maybe folks in Baltimore know more than I do (very much possible). Whatever the case, we've got furry-Chewbacca-stilt-man, Medieval Times-insect-tape dude and claymation-see-through-lizard-thing running around and people end up getting murdered before a wandering stranger literally shows up at the mayor's home and convinces everyone he can save the day. Most people would hear this concept and say "that sounds stupid," and they would be correct. Then when they are treated to some of the worst editing on display and about five scenes of people literally wandering the same few hills in a forest (with snow that magically seems to melt and come back literally every few seconds) hoping to build dramatic tension (I think... maybe they were trying to get their exercise routine filmed before "The Alien Factor 30-Minute Workout" hit the streets), it becomes clear this is not a film for anyone with a low threshold for pain. Even if it was just a straight up silent film with folks running around and watching men in fuzzy suits stalk the town, it would be bad. But nothing can prepare you for the "acting" and the musical number. Oh... the musical number. I don't dare spoil that one but I will say it ended up being the most entertaining six minutes of a film that was shot in about a total of seven different places with 15 different people, none of whom could act (but bless the mayor's heart because he honestly believes this is going to be his big break). I make it sound unwatchable (and for the most part, it is) but this is a definite guilty pleasure that reaches that magical level of "so bad, it is wonderful" that most other films fail to reach.
January 31, 2010