Alien Nation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Nation Reviews

May 23, 2016
A different take on this mismatch cop buddy flicks. James Caan is the balls as the LA Cop who teams up with a new Alien partner to hunt the newcomer scum who killed his partner. Terence Stamp is a nasty cunt as the villian. I haven't seen this since renting it on video in 1988. It still holds up.
½ December 31, 2015
A decent story that was improved by the respective performances of James Caan and Mandy Patinkin.
December 2, 2015
Festlig Sci-fi, med en del action. Humor og samtidig tar den opp dypere mellommenneskelige temaer spesielt rundt rasisme.
½ September 10, 2015
It's defiantly more focused on the buddy cop element than the sci-fi element but its still a good action packed film and I was completely fine with its final product.
½ July 26, 2015
Graham Baker's engaging science fiction buddy-cop movie, is a very clever and entertaining motion picture. It concerns a massive saucer-shaped alien spaceship that lands in the California desert with some 300,000 genetically engineered extraterrestrial slave laborers abroad, with no way to leave. After a quarantine period, the humans who call them "Newcomers," allow the aliens to assimilate into American culture in southern California where they work, play and live along with humans. But because the Newcomers posses superior intelligence and near superhuman strength, there is a percentage of people in the human community who discriminate against them and call them "Slags." A bigoted, wise-cracking, old school LA Police Detective named Matthew Sykes, played marvelously by James Caan, watches his partner viciously gunned down by some Newcomer thugs during a store robbery, and vows to avenge him. Walled out of the investigation of his partner's murder directly, he elects to accept the first Newcomer detective, Samuel Francisco, played wonderfully by Mandy Patinkin, Sykes renames him George, and hopes that his new partner will uses his ties in the Newcomer community to lead to his partner's killer. It is not long before Sykes discovers that is partner's killing was part of a larger conspiracy involving a corrupt Newcomer official, William Harcourt, superbly played by Terence Stamp, and the distribution of a highly addictive drug that use to control the newcomers. A great concept, with lots of imaginative touches, but it's the chemistry between Caan & Patinkin that makes this movie work, and they are terrific together. Solid direction by Graham Baker, with impressive cinematography by Adam Greenberg. Followed by a TV series and three made-for-TV movies. Highly Recommended.
May 30, 2015
This film is a cross between a Scifi film and a cop drama. The Scifi elements focus on a very good idea (the same one from District 9) that aliens arrive from outer space, but instead of villains they're refugees. The problem is that this immediately blends into the cop drama side of the story, which consumes it utterly without any apparent difficulties. So while the film itself is a pretty good cop drama it's mediocre Scifi. If you simply replaced the alien with the persecuted minority of the week then you'd have exactly the same film. I know that's the point, but if you're playing with aliens you really need to do something more with them beyond giving them odd traits like an addiction to sour milk and an allergy to sea water.
April 19, 2015
Not the story some wanted to see but as a popcorn buddy cop story with a twist it does work.
½ December 11, 2014
Great movie. Alien Nation isn't completely original, as it combines minimal sci-fi with buddy-cop murder mystery, but it does have interesting parallels to the real world with its integration and discrimination with the aliens, sort of like an allegory to the way African-Americans were treated in the 60s and 70s. The film itself is entertaining, funny, some good thrills, and great performances from its cast, especially Caan and Patinkin.
November 18, 2014
A gritty, hard-bitten, noir styled crime drama with some basic and effective sci-fi themes working to a great effect. An original idea that works extremely well. This film presents us with an excellent script and great performances by it's main cast, who are in top form. Of course it has it's flaws, but if it was perfect we probably wouldn't enjoy it the same. This is an excellent piece of sci-fi, that's sadly often overlooked.
September 23, 2014
"Alien Nation" es una curiosa mezcla entre película policiaca y ciencia ficción, acerca de una pareja dispareja de policías con una diferencia: Uno de ellos es un extraterrestre. El resultado es divertido y su subtexto acerca del racismo, la tolerancia y el trato a las minorías en los Estados Unidos es efectivo. Más adelante se convertiría en una decente serie de televisión.
August 4, 2014
it was worth to watch this movie, and, I was treated to what could be one of the shortest movies I ever seen. TThere's a quote in this movie that I recognize from 'Dead lie me' made by Mandy Patinkin's character. This is above all a fantastic, well written, well acted,and well developed movie. The storyline was solved within the entire movie so it wasn't dragged out as stories are these days in the movies. I do enjoy the translation of Sykes name, and,Francisco's character. this movie . .. was worth being bought and watched, funny to think I wasn't aware that Mandy Patinkin was on the cover and decided to buy it and I had been watching Dead Like Me right after buying a movie.Now this is what I call an Actor marathon. LOVE THIS MOVIEEeee!
½ July 23, 2014
This movie is not as bad as it should be. It get pretty cheezy at times but that forgivable for its age. There are some really interesting ideas in this movie, its not a must see but its pretty good.
½ July 18, 2014
80's Sci-Fi Goodness...
July 6, 2014
This is a film that's grown on me over the years. When it first came out I enjoyed it, but was not overly impressed. It's essentially a standard buddy cop action flick, but with an alien as the new unwanted partner. James Caan plays the alien hating detective and Mandy Patinkin plays his new alien partner. The story is exactly the same an any other buddy cop film of the 80s you've seen, with probably every cliche in place. The filmm uses the aliens as a metaphor for race, with the newcomers being given all the rights of humans, but at the same time are discriminated against, live in their own impoverished communities and are generally held in contempt by humans. Rewatching the film and now that buddy cop films are less common, I'm more nostalgic and less critical of the cliches, which help to make me like it more, but more importantly, I think the richness and thought out elements of the alien newcomers was something I didn't appreciate as much the first time around. Most of the time you have these sorts of genre mashups, there is only one alien and not an entire race with their own community. It's this well thought out backstory and mythology of the aliens that likely led to the subsequent TV series, comics, book and cult following. There's a good supporting case that includes Terrence Stamp as a wealthy newcomer, Peter Jason as a newcomer-hating cop, and Brian Thompson as a big scary newcomer in one scene. Director Graham Baker does an adequate job directing the film's action, but the behind the came star is cinematographer Adam Greenberg, who makes the film look way more better than you'd expect. A solid bit of sci-fi that is well worth watching.
March 29, 2014
Directed by Graham Baker (Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981) and Impulse (1984)) and written by Rockne S. O'Bannon (creator of seaQuest DSV and Farscape) and produced by Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator (1984) and Aliens (1986)), this sci-fi thriller had done the rounds of Hollywood since the early 1980's until Fox picked it up. It's central premise is a good idea, even if it has been done before. In 1991 (Razz), an alien race known as Newcomers came to earth, 300,000 of them in fact, and Earth became their new home, but most of the human population hate them, and a lot of them live in a slum called Slagtown. When Los Angeles Police Detective Matthew Sykes (James Caan) witnesses two Newcomers murdering another Newcomer, Sykes' partner Bill Tuggle (Roger Aaron Brown) is killed in the crossfire. Skyes is even less happy to learn that his new partner is a Newcomer Samuel Francisco (Mandy Patinkin), and they have to investigate a conspiracy involving Newcomer businessman William Harcourt (Terence Stamp) and his goal for power. It's a silly piece of sci-fi hokum, but it does have it's moments, even though it doesn't know whether it wants to be a police buddy film or a police revenge film. It might have spawned a TV series and a load of TV movies, the first film could have been better and it has nothing new to say.
September 12, 2013
Terrible, what could have been an interesting sci-fi flick is spoiled and dragged into a shit 80s buddy/cop movie. Its like 48hours but with more latex.
To rub salt into the wound its not even a good buddy/cop movie either!
½ August 27, 2013
Part buddy cop movie and part sci-fi movie. This movie was great!
August 24, 2013
Good sci-fi thriller, better than I expected.
½ July 30, 2013
Also has a TV version.. not listed
June 26, 2013
There's a good premise here (Aliens form outer space are a new immigrant group). There's even some decent performances, but in the end it becomes just another 80s cop film full of chase scenes, shootouts, & macho melodrama