Alien Resurrection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Resurrection Reviews

May 30, 2017
It's not that Resurrection is terrible or boring. It's just a kind of rubbish and overly nasty continuation that is a clear step below the standard set by its predecessors.
½ May 29, 2017
Better than the third movie, but still not as good as the first two movies. Sigourney Weaver and the rest of the cast is great.
May 29, 2017
Many fan boys of the facebook era might claim that this movie is not good enough, But the truth is that it's a masterpiece compared with Prometheus and Covenant. Resurrection is full of epic and classic Alien moments as well as an Iconic atmosphere that only the 4 first movies have.
May 28, 2017
wheres arnold? all the typically dumb action movie lines ruin this
May 28, 2017
It's definitely no where near as good as Alien and Aliens, but its certainly not as bad as Alien 3 as it explores the somewhat tortured and conflicted soul of Ellen Ripley's clone.
May 25, 2017
Jeunet does his best to salvage the Alien franchise after the travesty that was 'Alien3'. There are moments of greatness in this film (especially with any interaction between Ripley 8 and Call), but ultimately it can't dig itself out of the pit the franchise was in at this point. There are many beautifully shot scenes with one of the highlights being the underwater chase. This is the best action scene of the movie. After that sequence the story gets bogged down with hybrid aliens and awkward exposition from a cocooned Brad Dourif. Ultimately 'Alien: Resurrection' is a stylishly shot thriller, with two badass female protagonists, that unfortunately doesn't come together to form a compelling story.
May 25, 2017
Sigourney Weavers final performance as Ellen Ripley is a fun and enjoyable popcorn flick. It ventures into horror comedy territory but still has a few scares and unsettling scenes along the way.
May 24, 2017
Alien Resurrection has a faster pace, and slightly more engaging premise than it's predecessor, but it still fails to capture the magic of the first two installments.
½ May 23, 2017
'Alien Resurrection' tries hard to have fun with who the antagonist is in a colourful group of characters and aliens, but falls flat in an unsatisfactory conclusion.
May 22, 2017
Even though I still love the Alien sets, I have to admit that this was somewhat of a flop for myself, however, being a die-hard SciFi fan, I still had to accept this movie was going to be part of my life.

It's still a must see for any Alien Film follower and parts of it are acceptable!
½ May 22, 2017
I like this film because it's a very fun sci-fi film it's stupid but it's actually a stupidly fun sci-if film. ALIEN and ALIENS are the best and this one it's not the best but I like it and it's good. A stupidly film sci-fi flick so much better then ALIEN 3 I can tell you that.
½ May 21, 2017
Everybody in this movie acts so hamfisted and cartoony.
½ May 20, 2017
It can't touch the first two films, and it's not quite as good as Alien 3, but Alien Resurrection isn't as bad as its reputation would suggest. The visuals are definitely better than Alien 3's, and Sigourney Weaver gives another strong performance. However, the pacing is uneven, and the scene where the Xenomorph Queen gives live birth, while original, is honestly just stupid. Overall, Resurrection is an entertaining film, just try not to think about it very much.
½ May 20, 2017
Improvement from 3, but still lame
May 19, 2017
Alien 3 is a mess, but it's nothing compared to the abomination that is Alien: Resurrection. One wouldn't be wrong by saying that there isn't one good thing to say about this film. Sure, everything isn't horrible, but just about 95 percent of it is. Last time I checked, that's not a good percentage.

Resurrection is a shell of the films that made this series great in the first place. To start, the film's tone is all over the place. It feels like the script wants the film to take a lighter direction but the direction does exactly the opposite. You have characters that don't feel like real human beings and always seem to overact to the conflict, why the conflict itself is overtly gory and grotesque, just for the sake of being gory and grotesque. I'm still not sure what audience this film was trying to appeal to. It's neither a scary thriller like the first film nor an exciting action film like Aliens. But that's not for lack of trying.

Who thought it would be a good idea to have Ripley come back as an uncomfortably sexualized version of herself without any explanation as to why she was cloned in the first place? After the semi-heroic act at the end of Alien 3, there's absolutely no need to go back and recycle the same characters. And really, what was the point of bringing back Ripley if she wasn't even going to have the qualities we love about Weaver's portrayal. This does way more to hurt Ripley's legacy than it does to amplify it.

Written by Joss Whedon and directed by the guy who made Amelie makes this film more puzzling than its predecessor. We know there were severe behind the scenes issues with Fincher's Alien 3, but who could have possibly greenlit Resurrection? There's nothing redeemable about this film. And I mean nothing. Great actors and actresses like Ron Perlman and Winona Ryder give less than stellar performances (and that's generous). Even Weaver, who has always been the light of this franchise was just passible as Ripley. Heck, the Xenomorphs themselves were pathetic. The special effects looked off, they were kept up in cages for most of the film, and the hybrid alien at the end? My god it was all-time awful.

-Tone is all over the place

-Script and direction take the film to separate places

-Performances

2.9/10
May 17, 2017
It has its moments but it doesn't have the aesthetics or atmosphere of an Alien flick. The finale is dog shit and the less said about that new born the fucking better. Pointless.
May 17, 2017
If it was not related whatsoever to the Alien franchise, this might just be a goofy, over-the-top action film, but unfortunately it dumbs down the Alien universe beyond belief. Knowing all the behind the scenes troubles between writer and director, its understandable why it is a mess. But a mess is a mess. The decisions made in this film from start to finish are almost incomprehensible. The performances are bad, the writing is bad, this film is awful. Not worth your time if you are a fan of the previous films.
May 15, 2017
Not the best, but still worth checking out.
½ May 14, 2017
Now this is an odd alien movie. Even Ripley here is a rather odd character, doesn't feel like herself (understandably). It almost feels like one of those late seasons of some shows that went so far from the first season style and just jumped the shark.

The fun fact is that the screenplay is authored by Joss Whedon (although he's very sad of what they did to his work). There is something from Joss still there, and it kind of could even work if he was directing it himself, but it seems that artistic differences were too big with the director onthis one. And it just turned out to be a one hell of a weird alien movie.

Least favorite in the series easily.
jamrcla
May 14, 2017
My least favourite Alien film from the original 4, Never should of been made, Yes Alien 3 didn't match up to the first two but it ended well but some people just can't let things die in peace, The story was silly and never got any better, Poor acting and with little action it has nothing much going for it, The effects were ok for its time and I did like the more advanced, Smarter Aliens even if that hybrid at the end was just step too far for me, but it's not enough to stop this film from being very disappointing, Let's just thank god they stopped to give the series some breathing space (For a while)