Alive in Joburg - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alive in Joburg Reviews

April 13, 2015
This is a very interesting short film that would obviously go on to inspire the critically acclaimed, Oscar nominated, 'District 9' and for something that is just about 6 minutes long, it's quite thought provoking. We get a little glimpse into a very different world and while we only see a little bit of it, probably for production reasons, it works well to its advantage and really conveys a powerful theme. Sharlto Copley makes an appearance, which is great and it even has the same music style that would go on to be used in the feature film. I also liked how the title was shown a few minutes in, even though I thought that was kind of funny because it seemed so close to the end but this was actually a good length. The visuals are dirty and grimy and it really sells everything that is going on, we learn a lot about the aliens and people's reactions to them and when the credits roll around I was left thinking about a few things.
December 15, 2014
"Alive in Joberg" is a good short film that was later made into the movie "District 9" The graphics are alright but it was still pretty awesome!
½ April 4, 2014
The mockumentary sci-fi short that spawned the superb 'District 9' - stunningly conceived.
½ March 8, 2013
An interesting sci-fi short by Neill Blomkamp -- who would later develop this original concept into the fantastic ''District 9.'' What I really love about this film is that - for once - the aliens choose somewhere else than the USA to land, the low-budget visuals, the convincing prosthetic aliens (rather than your usual CGI aliens), the documentary-style of filming (which makes it feel realistic) and the social commentary (Wikipedia: ''All of the interview statements which do not explicitly mention extraterrestrials were taken from authentic interviews with many South Africans who had been asked their opinions of Zimbabwean refugees''). Everything is just nicely put together during the 6 minute run time.
½ March 8, 2013
½ March 3, 2013
A great stepping stone toward 'District 9' for Neill Blomkamp.
½ November 17, 2012
Terrific short that served as the basis for District 9.
½ September 17, 2011
The short that was the inspiration for District 9.
August 6, 2011
5 stars. View count: 2
November 29, 2010
Interesting predecessor to District 9. It plays more as a teaser than a standalone product though.
½ March 12, 2010
great little short with superb effects.
½ March 8, 2010
it's pretty much a shame, that one of the best sci-fi of the decade, comes in a small package of a short film. definitely Better than its bigger expansion, District 9
February 8, 2010
The "basis" for the movie District 9. Nicely done.
September 24, 2009
Even though the visuals effects for better or worse look exactly like Halo, I think I liked this a bit more than District 9 since it seemed more interested in exploring
September 23, 2009
the short film that inspirred District 9 is indeed an interesting template and it should serve as that only. Inspiration. There is not apparent story and no apparent purpose other than to show off an interesting idea, which it does, but nothing more than that.
September 7, 2009
Neill Blomkamp's style and background in visual effects help bring this UFO infested town of "Joburg" to life. This is a great short to watch before walking into "District 9." it really helps to set up who Blomkamp is and just how talented he is. Within a 6 min span you learn everything you need to know and in the end want more! The filmmaking style (guerilla) mixed in with documentary really help this short feel 100% authentic and real. You can easily see that he is driven purely by story and doesn't rely on VFX to make this work.
August 26, 2009
Made me want to see District 9 even more.