All In: The Poker Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All In: The Poker Movie Reviews

½ October 15, 2016
"All In: The Poker Movie" doesn't contain any earth-shattering revelations or plot twists. Still, this documentary captures the history of poker tournaments and its unexpected renaissance at the turn of the millennium. Poker may seem like a pretty dry subject for a documentary (and especially for weekly tv coverage), but those who play Texas Hold 'Em understand how gripping it can be to watch one person strategically put so much money on the line. This film includes interviews with most of poker's major players including Phil Hellmuth, Daniel Negreanu, Annie Duke, Chris Ferguson, and an extensive look at the unlikely path of Chris Moneymaker. Matt Damon also weighs in since his film "Rounders" had a profound impact on so many beginning poker players in the nineties. The driving force of the film comes from the testimonials of these poker stars and their opinions will speak strongly to players of the game who have religiously watched the World Poker Tour and the World Series of Poker; however, the general public's lack of familiarity with these players may leave some viewers feeling overwhelmed with unknown names. "All In: The Poker Movie" will likely resonate better with poker players but it serves as a great jumping off-point for anybody who is curious about society's obsession with a centuries-old card game.
April 18, 2015
like all documentaries it's only as good as your interest in the subject material. and i love poker
October 11, 2014
Algu√¬ (C)m sabia desse filme? Eu quero ver!
½ September 21, 2014
I really loved this documentary it appeals to poker fans a terrific documentary just very interesting a phenomenal documentary
Grade A
½ June 4, 2014
A great documentary about the renaissance of poker the documentary shows you the history of poker when it first began to professional poker players playing poker online overall very good documentary B+
½ July 16, 2013
Maybe it would be different if I was an avid poker player...or played poker a all. I just felt like it wasn't a very well made documentary.
½ October 14, 2012
The poker world needs a film it can really be proud of and unfortunately this (or "Rounders") is not it. It's watchable but never really hits the mark. The best sequences involve Chris Moneymaker and the film probably would have benefited from using him at it's chief subject matter.
September 17, 2012
I wonder if Chris Moneymaker is broke yet.
July 21, 2012
As much as I love the subject matter, it does nothing for me except catalogue the history that I previously knew of the game.
Fun to watch the Moneymaker heyday, and the classic Amarillo Slim footage, but it didn't really do much to draw my attention away from playing poker on my iPad.
July 9, 2012
This movie spent too much time idolizing Moneymaker, and left out other great interviews with regular poker players. This movie would be better served up as several 1/2 hour installments on the history channel, rather than a single big screen production. This movie missed a great opportunity to reach the poker playing community.
FYI, when this movie was in production, we actually provided these guys with a 4 hour interview during one of our live money Rat Pack poker games here in Columbus. We provided the film crew with every courtesy, including great interviews with 3 generations of local poker players, including 'Jesus' O'Niell, and old timer Paul Schuler. Unfortunately, all of that ended up on the cutting room floor, and none of our advice regarding what we thought would make this movie better was taken. I will go further to state that we received no compensation for our troubles, and we even helped to finance the premier of this movie in Columbus, which, BTW, was a total flop.
½ June 15, 2012
Well done, good look at poker through the eyes of Chris Moneymaker.