All Good Things - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All Good Things Reviews

July 11, 2015
Meh. Watch The Jinx instead!
June 12, 2015
the documentary was so much better. it's hard to imagine this made durst cry.
May 29, 2015
Personally I thought this film was fantastic and very scary! Ryan did an amazing job on his acting on this film
½ April 3, 2015
Poor directing..... and editing
½ March 24, 2015
interesting enough, not the best execution.
½ March 24, 2015
This sounded like a good movie, but I was left confused by a few things.
March 22, 2015
Great performances and a tight and exciting planting can't save All the Good things of a lazy and predictable third act.
March 19, 2015
Such an interesting watch after watching HBO's The Jinx and the recent events of the seemingly endless Robert Durst Saga. Must see!
March 14, 2015
An odd biopic of the bad times of Robert Durst ; watch The Jinx on HBO instead
½ March 14, 2015
Kirstin Dunst steals the show from Ryan Gosling in this so so crime exploration.
½ March 14, 2015
All Good Things is a good movie, nothing more. Subject matter is fascinating, and based on real life events. I watched this because of the HBO Series about The Durst family which is a groundbreaking documentary. The additional conjecture thrown up here is interesting. A film you could miss and nobody would ever know or care. Gosling is ok but doesn't steal the show in this one. Kirsten Dunst on the other hand is amazing and so beautiful.
½ March 13, 2015
based on Robert Durst's legal meanderings. if you ever need a lawyer in Houston, hire Dick DeGuerin!
½ March 5, 2015
An interesting thriller featuring two of my favourite leads. Unsurprisingly the acting is great by not only them, but the entire cast. Although cliche to a fault, it is a great story by itself, but definitely has the feel of a missed opportunity for something much bigger. I understand the back story, the father-son relationship aspect of the film, and I like the tone that gives the film, but perhaps it dwelled on that a little too much and missed the more human aspect of the characters.
February 17, 2015
This one surprised me. It's still swirling about in my subconscious after a couple of days, despite my general dislike of murder as a theme for movies.

In contrast to the critics' opinions, I think the key to this story is Ryan Gosling's acting. Not an actor I've ever really rated before, he is really spooky and believable as the hyper-controlled and very disturbed main character. In the final segment of the film he goes off the rails very nicely, too.

There are lots of nice noir notes in the presentation, which set the story on edge without ever going over the top. Kirsten Dunst is convincing, if bland.
½ February 16, 2015
(44%)
One of those perfectly fine films that somehow still only amounts to a lot of effort put into a story that by the end simply isn't really worth it. There's at times a TV movie of the week feel to this; although it's a decent quality TV movie with plenty of period detail and a strong leading roles. Gosling's character is a very hard character to get behind, and that's even before he becomes overly shady. There are some twists and turns to the story, and by the end Gosling's character's behaviour is very odd adding some much needed interest, but it just isn't enough to make this a small step up from ordinary and forgettable.
January 18, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
January 9, 2015
Sad and kinda interesting although moving slow. Ryan Gosling, Kirsten Dunst and Kristen Wiig were awesome.
November 28, 2014
An ultimately unsatisfying film, based on the real story of the Marks family empire in New York, and the various murders and disappearances that went on around them. Well acted, but ultimately just a bit empty. Ryan Gosling in drag is an interesting addition though!
½ September 26, 2014
Leaving its story(which is based on real events) aside, "All good things" is, among other things, a film about failure and deceit: the failure of Stanford Marks as a father/husband which - at least partially - triggered his son's further failures. On the other hand, "All good things" is deceiving by its very title which would suggest something completely different than what we actually see on screen. Also, David's marriage is deceiving by not being a real marriage at all: it is just a series of cheap mannerisms a nd social commodities coupled with a complete lack of communication. Yet, like many others, it starts promising. And this is what the film does best and seems to be fascinated by: the way this marriage damages the one who is really involved(in this case, Katie). The most poignant moments in "All good things" are "trapped" in this part.

Some said that Ryan Gosling was miscast. I believe the otherwise. With the risk of inviting scorn from his fans/admirers, I find him to be one of the most uncharismatic and bland actors. His is not a bad actor, no, I just find him a completely unremarkable one. I've seen him in "Drive", "The Believer" and "Murder By Numbers" and in neither of them was I impressed by his performance.

The film's performances are accurate and it the film is rather well crafted, yet some might find it ambiguous to the point of irritation.

Overall, "All good things" does a fine job, even if, given what I said earlier and the fact that sometimes it goes off the rails(I can't put my finger on it, but there were moments that felt completely uninspired), it will remain, somehow, in the shadows.
½ August 22, 2014
Extra half for Kirsten Dunst and her breasts!