All I Desire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All I Desire Reviews

October 14, 2017
Stanwyck a force of nature, as usual. Not an interesting story to me.
August 15, 2017
Not one of Stanwyck's best, though she gives a good performance. Not much of a script to work with. Wooden acting by the "bad guy" of the piece. Predictable.
November 13, 2014
Bot Boring & Overly Melodramatic.
March 24, 2014
Solid small town soap.
October 28, 2013
Good period piece but not one of Sirk's best. To truly appreciate Sirk you need to soak up his palette in technicolor.
October 5, 2013
Here's Barbara Stanwyck in a Douglas Sirk film just before he started his run of masterworks (Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows, Written on the Wind, Imitation of Life, etc.). She is the only reason to watch this film (but always a good reason), as the rest of the cast, apart from Lena the cook (played by Lotte Stein), is rather unexceptional. Sirk is fixated, as usual, on people's concerns for what others think and how that can ruin lives -- this time at the turn of the 20th century in small town Wisconsin. Stanwyck, who earlier left her family for an acting career -- I mean left her husband and small children -- returns by surprise 12 or 13 years later. Pure melodrama but only 79 minutes and black and white. Stanwyck was luckier to be paired with Fred MacMurray in the later Sirk outing, There's Always Tomorrow.
½ March 19, 2013
Sustained by wonderful performances, especially by Barbara Stanwyck, the story is engaging and develops in unexpected ways
July 25, 2012
Douglas Sirk's All I Desire is the story of the burleq dancer, Naomi Murdoch (Barbara Stanwyck) who left her family a long time ago, decides to pay them a visit. She have told her in her letters that she's an famous actress, which of course is a lie.
December 19, 2011
Decent Drama about a family in turmoil because of the mother returning after years absent.
½ December 19, 2011
Fun little small-town potboiler here as Stanwyck plays a woman returning to a town she ran away from because of scandalous affair, to become a famous dancer. Now she's back to face the town, her husband and her family! All the tongues are wagging because noone knows what to make of her (she must be trouble!) and soon, what do yu know, the original guy she had the affair with starts making the moves on her agaon.
While this is interesting, it seems a bit low-brow for such a pro as Stanwyck. You can easily see her rise above this material. Good for a chuckle at least.
September 8, 2011
It's not the greatest Sirk but it's solidly composed and filmed.
January 11, 2011
*** (out of four)

Good old fashioned melodrama with a wonderful Barabra Stanwyck at her most likeable. Though the plot offers few surprises and is quite contrived at times, Ms Stanwyck is worth the watching.

Stanwyck plays a vetran Vaudville stage performer who returns home to her family after having abandoned them ten years earlier. Her appearance opens old wounds and excites old flames.
½ October 18, 2010
Sirk always knows how to put broken women, jealous men, lies, deceit, and tragic moments all together perfectly, and although All I Desire is not as respected or remembered as his other 50s films, it's still pure shocking melodrama that became his signature.

An averagely successful actress in her late 40s has been apart from her family for years pursuing and continuing her career far away. When she gets a letter from her teen daughter requesting mother to come back to see her debut in a high school play, she decides to go back and see her estranged family. But years after time apart, some wounds can't easily heal (possible spoiler there...)
April 22, 2010
I'm proud to be reviewing the new Barbara Stanwyck collection before it's release. This movie was great. I'm a sucker for anything Douglas Sirk. He cracks me up in an unintentional way. Most of these have never been seen before. My favorite being "The Lady Gambles." Hilarious. Think Reefer Madness with a gambling dame as the subject. This collection is highly suggested.
August 19, 2008
I Love Sirk drama its sooo over the top
½ July 7, 2008
Sirk and Stanwyck FTW.
½ July 1, 2008
Second-rate story, but Barbara Stanwyck is always mesmerising (that voice!) and Sirk's direction and cinematography is, as always, brilliant.
February 25, 2008
just fantastic - wonderfully wrought emotional tension, complicated family relationships and brilliant performances all in just under 80 mins.
½ November 14, 2007
�ven berövad fÀrg och med ett (pÄtvingat?) lyckligt slut, Àr Douglas Sirk en av de största filmberÀttarna nÄgonsin. Kan inte rekommenderas högt nog!