All Is Bright - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All Is Bright Reviews

December 27, 2015
12/27/2015: Not as good as I hoped considering the great cast, but it was ok. It should be considered a drama rather than a comedy.
½ December 1, 2015
Review:
I was wondering why this film took so long to get released but now that I've seen it, I can understand why. Watching 2 down and outs, selling Christmas trees for nearly 2 hours, became pretty boring after a while and the other added elements to the storyline wasn't that great. Its about 2 small time thieves who are separated when a job goes wrong and one of them end up in jail for 4 years. While Dennis (Paul Giamatti) is in jail, his partner in crime, Rene (Paul Rudd), falls in love with Dennis's girlfriend and they plan to marry behind his back. When Dennis is finally released from jail, he hopes to get back with his girlfriend and promises to be a better father to there little daughter but she is fed up with his antics and she comes clean about her relationship with his friend. He then confronts Rene and they end up in a little punch up but he still needs a job because he has become homeless so he joins Rene in the Christmas tree selling business. Although he is unhappy about his relationship with his ex-girlfriend, Dennis is determined to get enough money to buy a piano for his daughter, so they sell as much trees that they can while Rene is waiting for his divorce to come through, so he can marry Therese (Amy Landecker). After a slow start, there Christmas tree business goes down a storm but there earnings are stolen from them so there plans for the money goes totally out of the window. They then join forces to steal a piano from one of there wealthy customers. I really struggled to stay awake through this film because the tone was quite glum and it took ages to get going. There are a couple of amusing moments, like when Dennis confronted Rene about his relationship with his girlfriend but it started to drag after a while. I'm usually a fan of Paul Giamatti's work but this film has to go down as a bad day at the office, which might explain why it took nearly 3 years to get released. Anyway, I'm sure that this film will pop up around the Christmas period because of its theme but I personally didn't think it was that great. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
After loads of comedic roles, Paul Rudd, 46, has finally made a name for himself with the movie Ant-Man. He's played many cameo roles in movies like the Anchorman I & II, the 40 Year Old Virgin, This Is The End, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up and he's played major roles in films like Prince Avalanche, Wanderlust, This Is 40, Our Idiot Brother and Dinner For Schmucks but I still think that he was a weird choice for Ant-Man. I'll have to see the movie before I comment on his performance! Anyway, the chemistry between Rudd and Giamatti was OK but they just kept on bickering with each other, which became a bit tedious after a while. The movie was directed by Phil Morrison who brought you Junebug in 2005. Apart from that, he hasn't got that much experience behind the camera so I wasn't that surprised with the outcome. As this movie didn't get a major release, I doubt that it will damage Giamatti or Rudd's careers and I can't see myself watching again, anytime soon.

I recommend this movie to people who are into their drama/comedies starring Paul Giamatti, Paul Rudd, Sally Hawkins and Amy Landecker. 3/10
Harlequin68
½ July 14, 2015
In "All Is Bright," Dennis(Paul Giamatti) is glad to be out of prison. And then not so much when he finds out that his ex-wife told their daughter that he is dead. In the meantime, he needs to eat which means a job which is not easy in the currently difficult economy. His friend Rene(Paul Rudd) has a business selling Christmas trees but already has somebody to help him. That changes when Dennis persuades him to let him go.

"All Is Bright" starts off great and ends with a beautiful scene. It also explains where all those ubiquitous Christmas tree salesmen in New York City come from every year. Sadly, in between, it is pretty much a slow moving trainwreck that even Paul Giamatti and a Russian accented Sally Hawkins(don't ask) can do little with.
½ June 20, 2015
A little slow for the two Pauls but a nice affable flick nonetheless.
March 31, 2015
love them both, nice holiday flic!
December 29, 2014
This is called 'Almost Christmas' in the UK if you want to go looking for it.
I found the opening 15-20 minutes really slow and boring and I was questioning whether I'd be able to stick it out for the whole film. Thankfully it improved quite a bit, although it didn't turn into some amazing experience, or even a very good one. It's OKAY. There were parts I really liked, namely Paul Rudd's performance and Paul Giamatti's weird relationship with the Russian housekeeper. Other than that it's just an average watch. Not bad, not great, good. Solid. Well made.
December 20, 2014
Slow at times but it totally pulled me in and has a magical ending. Superb performances from all and definitely got me in the Christmas spirit.
December 7, 2014
Slow burner of a film as two love rivals set up a xmas tree business. Just about hits the festive warm spot.
½ November 23, 2014
Two amazing actors turn in perfectly acceptable performances in a mostly boring little film. I really wanted to love All Is Bright, but it's slow pace and "preachy" tone leave much to be desired.
½ November 23, 2014
A somewhat downbeat depiction of the harsh realities of going straight, although thrown into the mix for some comedy value is a love triangle. It's not brilliant but it's well made and acted well enough.
½ October 6, 2014
Could be a great movie. The cast did the best they could but the film is boring.
½ October 4, 2014
Not sure what the audience was supposed to take away from this movie. Didn't stink, it's just missing quite a few things.
July 11, 2014
The two Pauls are impressive, but their dynamic can't overcome the rather dull and uneven script.
July 8, 2014
Very good movie. Funny, kinda sad, great performances from the Pauls. The characters have a blend of comedy and sadness to them that works, a lot like the film Sideways.
SC007
½ July 1, 2014
The film was a big disappointment. From the trailer I was expecting it to be something like Bad Santa. But that is not the case here. The problem with the film is that it doesn't know if it wants to be a comedy or drama. The tone is off. The pacing is also off. Some scenes are too slow. They needed more humor here.
Giamatti, Rudd, and Hawkins are good in the film, but they need a better script than this one.
½ May 21, 2014
Although the critics and audiences didn't like this movie, I really did. If one watches it as a drama and not the comedy for which it was advertised, one isn't disappointed. Paul Giamotti gives his usual excellent performance. (If he doesn't get an Academy Award someday soon, there is no justice in the world.) Although he can play a happy good guy, what is really his forte are characters such as Dennis in this picture, men in desperate straits one the edge of losing it, or in the active process of the same (Cosmopolis).He is always a pleasure to watch and just makes any film he's in. And I loved the ending. Not one I'd choose for Christmas viewing, but a film worth watching.
½ May 19, 2014
I once thought that I would watch Paul Giamatti perform anything, even the phone book. Well, the phone book would probably be more entertaining than this dreck.
April 7, 2014
I liked it, took some time to get going though.
April 1, 2014
The one word that comes to mind when I think about this film is bleak. In my not so humble opinion, Paul Giamatti is one of the best actors of this or any other generation, and he shined again here with middle of the road material to work with. Paul Rudd is also wonderful in a role much more serious than usual. This film, while mostly depressing, did answer the age old question of whether you can successfully steal a grand piano through an upper floor window while the owners sleep above. The answer, of course, is yes. Minus a half star for being so dreary!
½ March 26, 2014