All the Fine Young Cannibals Reviews

• Jun 16, 2012

This is my favorite movie ever! It was considered too morbid for its time. Based on the life of jazz trumpet legend Chet Baker and the book The Bixby Sisters (I believe that's the title, I own it somewhere), this is the most amazing film. One of the hardest to find yet one of the most relevant to life at any time. Although, I have been able to find most every collectible for it (including 2 one of a kind Natalie Wood 8 by 10's) I have never been able to find the soundtrack, in any part. Natalie Wood, Robert Wagner, Susan Kohner (Imitation of Life was her breakout role), George Hamilton (yes he's actually young and acting in this), and a tour de force from Pearl Bailey. You probably will want to drink after seeing this and have these dresses custom made ;). There are issues that run so deep here, and it links straight to the roots of Jazz down in Deep Ellum (i've never known how to spell that right ;) ) Texas. This film exposes the raw effect of religion, discrimination, child abuse/neglect/overprotection, a not often seen look into a point in time during the black civil rights movement, wealthy, poverty, looks, the relationships between people both good and bad of love and hate, and how the ways of humanity, with all its intentions, turn us all into cannibals, tearing each other and ourselves apart in our struggle to triage emotions, dreams, and the mundane. The tale is interwoven using juxtaposition of paradigms. Because of the complex nature of the subtext of this film, especially in relation to its time and its relativity to our time, causes most people to avoid the truths exposed and emotions intended to draw you to feel them. All The Fine Young Cannibals, the title, is the point of this movie, to make us face and see situations in which we can all relate to some part of it. I do not believe in giving away the entire movie in the description, nor maligning it so as is done here on FLIXSTER! Whoever wrote this has done, in the best light, a "hack job" completely lacking professionalism, proper format, citations, objectivity, factum, and has committed an egregious misuse of the english language. They couldn't even find one photo to put as the cover. And the art work for this film is outstandingly beautiful and poignant. Even the cast photos are outdated to the ages and the fact the movie is in COLOR. Please find and watch this movie but Flixster is not the only place you can watch it. Until they Fix their Flix, I'd stay away, if this is an example of the kind of care the take. The movies I was gifted are all chick flicks I don't even like to watch. And my favorite movie? Trashed. Of all the great movies and anime I have ever seen, this movie stands out as my absolute favorite movie. Watch it, you will not regret it.

• Nov 19, 2011

A staggering amount of spirits are consumed in this highly disjointed take on the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Whisky disappears like it's tea on a building site as the characters slide into their own private pits of despair. It's brave in a sense and deliberately depressing, very un Hollywood, but Wagner simply isn't a good enough actor to pull off the leading male and thus it rather falls flat and his son is a terrible child actor. Natalie Wood you would though.

• Oct 17, 2011

24 June 2011 NO CANNIBALS IN THIS MOVIE ARGH! Lol. What a let down lol.

24 June 2011 NO CANNIBALS IN THIS MOVIE ARGH! Lol. What a let down lol.

• Aug 18, 2009

I've seen this movie when i was......14 i think.... I ve been searching on the internet and movie rentals.... Could not find it till now... Anyone having it....?? Or please let me knoe hw i can get 1.... I give a 4.0...............

• Dec 12, 2008

it was what it was and it was great in it's way! amazing to see all of those great movie stars when they were young! If you are not expecting the slick quick moving filmmaking of today and know that you're in for some wooden and stilted performances...well, it was just what I wanted...old and fun...Pearl Bailey too..and some good tunes...it's no 'Splendor in the Grass' but it worked for me!

• Sep 17, 2008

Beautiful, touching, oh, Natalie Wood, oh, George Hamilton, oh.

Beautiful, touching, oh, Natalie Wood, oh, George Hamilton, oh.

• Mar 25, 2008

Hollywood melodrama at it's worst...Not sure what the director wanted us to feel in this one. Wood and Wagner are imminently watchable but are just hamming it up in the worst way. Wagner's "Chad" is a pseudo Chet Baker figure who travels to Deep Ellum to get some soul and finds Pearl Bailey, who outclasses most of the cast here. The two stars are for Pearl and Wood, who never looked prettier.